advertisement

DAC needed...bang for buck

Mojo sounds lovely, it works as a desktop DAC when plugged into the wall, you can set it to a fixed output and use it as a a conventional DAC, or you can use it like I do as a DAC/Pre. Works really well, and has stood up to some very good other DACs. I much prefer it to the Rega DAC, of course though, YMMV!

Chord Mojo mk1 replaced a Denafrips Ares II in my main system. I only tried it out to see how it sounded……..and it stayed

I’ve heard reports that the mk2 is slightly less analogue sounding but not heard the mk2 myself.

Chord Mojo mk1 replaced a Denafrips Ares II in my main system. I only tried it out to see how it sounded……..and it stayed

I’ve heard reports that the mk2 is slightly less analogue sounding but not heard the mk2 myself.

Very interesting - the diminutive Mojo pipped the Denafrips in your system! Weren't you then tempted to go slightly further up the Chord ladder after that?

It's looking like my DAC may be beyond repair due to abundant water damage while on! I rebuilt all the power supplies but the main digital board, a DIY, heavily modded on another forum group effort, looks to be toast with multiple unavailable components (old build project).

Connection requirements are sp/dif in x1, USB in x1 and optical in x2.
It doesn't need to be the latest, highest sampling doodah but I was used to good sound quality from mine e.g. it noticeably out performed the DAC in my Meridian 506.24.
I've looked at many that either don't have all the inputs I require or are silly prices.

If anyone is thinking of offering their used unit be advised I'm in Thailand.

So any thoughts folks?
(Budget at the cheap end, hopefully.)
I have and really like SMSL M300II. Gustard X16 is excellent as well.

I also have a Project S2 DAC that I will be happy to forward to you for free.

You could always have more than one DAC. I started with the Mojo £200ish. Then the RME £600 and then DACMagic100 £80. I’ve still got them. I use the RME and DM mostly in two separate systems but like to dig out the mojo as it is very distinctive and I like a change of sound occasionally.
So, for £300ish you could have two great dacs with distinctly different presentations. What’s not to love?:)

You could always have more than one DAC. I started with the Mojo £200ish. Then the RME £600 and then DACMagic100 £80. I’ve still got them. I use the RME and DM mostly in two separate systems but like to dig out the mojo as it is very distinctive and I like a change of sound occasionally.
So, for £300ish you could have two great dacs with distinctly different presentations. What’s not to love?:)
Likewise I rotate DACs when the mood takes, I don’t use the Mojo now I have a fancy portable Astell Kern but keep it to use for when I start going on trips again in a little desktop rig.

Likewise I rotate DACs when the mood takes, I don’t use the Mojo now I have a fancy portable Astell Kern but keep it to use for when I start going on trips again in a little desktop rig.

Despite being at the bottom of the Chord pecking order, I love the fag packet dimensions; it’s glowing buttons; being so cute, well-made and such a sophisticated sound from physically not much at all.
I’ll keep it no matter what. Bit like my plain old Zippo lighter despite not having smoked for fifteen years.
It can be anything, but there’s something about a fine design that lights up even the most prosaic soul:)

I own the Chord QBD76 and it's my reference DAC in the main system. It sounds very very good and I love it a lot. I recently toyed with the idea of getting another DAC with a different flavour to swap between my main and secondary system. I don't intend to spend too much money on the alternative DAC but do not wish to end up with something that won't last long in the system. In other words, although the DAC will be rather cheap, it will need to sound pretty decent.

I've investigated some of the "giant killers" on the internet and Youtube. The Topping D70S and Denarips Ares II caught my eye as both seem to be in my price range. Then out of nowhere the Chord Qutest was said to kill them all. Well, that's a bit of exaggeration but the Chord was said to be more detailed with an airier 3-d presentation. Further research revealed that all these DACs have their own house sound. From the things I read, the Chord DACs appear to set themselves apart from other manufacturers by producing a 3-dimensional, airy and detailed sound. That's the main strength or forte of Chord DACs in general. Other DACs sound flatter, 2-dimensional but may produce a stronger bass or fuller midrange, whatever.

I have limited experience with DACs as I only compared the Chord QBD76 to a Musical Fidelity M1 which I owned previously. There's just no comparison between the 2, night and day difference to my ears, in my system. The M1 was sold within 1 month after the Chord got into the system. In some ways, I can relate to the comments made by people who have compared the Chords to various DACs out there. The QBD76 throws a 3-dimensional sound, a palpable presentation with an airy treble which also sounds 3-dimensional. there is space between instruments. The QBD76 made the Musical Fidelity sound flat 2-dimensional. And underwhelming listen with the MF M1.

Coming back to the topic of this thread. Based on the comparison between the Chord QBD76 and Musical Fidelity M1 in my system, I am quite wary of the various options of DACs in the market. I like the presentation of the Chord and wish to try something different but do not intend to deviate too much from the quality of the Chord. In my view, the 3-dimensional airy and detailed sound of the Chord is the main selling point for me. You either hate it or you love it. Some folks may prefer something fuller or warmer if the speakers or amp sound bright so it's system dependent apart from listening preferences.

In the end, I may just consider a Qutest instead of a Topping D70S, Denafrips or something else. The negative aspect with the cheaper Chord DACs is they lack balanced outputs and cannot take a full-sized power cord. I would appreciate more thoughts from people who have compared a Chord particularly the higher end models Hugo TT or Dave to some of the cheaper alternatives.

Had several DACs over lockdown including the Dac Magic and Topping D90SE plus many of the ASR darlings and ones often mentioned in threads, fwiw the Dac Magic is still here the D90 sold on. You like what you like and it's only a hobby/pastime. I'd have Rega, RME and Matrix DACs again.
You tried the beresford?

Yup, both.
Keith
To any younglings who happen to come across this thread..please use your ears to listen..this is important..keep away from the measurists..they are like sirens..singing their hideous song hoping to drown the unfortunate sailor who listens to their nonsense..but the measurists don't realise that they are also trapped..forever singing..younglings avoid this trap! Listen with a open heart and not a closed mind..and great treasures in the music you will find...

Can’t really go wrong with a Dacmagic. Not heard the newer versions, I once had an MF M1Dac. Sounded great, especially in the lower registers. Just remember that the particular sound profile of the DAC has got the fit with your particular system so try a few.

Can’t really go wrong with a Dacmagic. Not heard the newer versions, I once had an MF M1Dac. Sounded great, especially in the lower registers. Just remember that the particular sound profile of the DC has got the fit with your particular system so try a few.
Dac magics are great..

I also have a Project S2 DAC that I will be happy to forward to you for free.

Thank you for your generous offer.

As expected many Chord fans here. If I was happy to spend properly on this I'd probably go for a Qutest but alas too many vying outgoings at present to justify such a purchase.

Very interesting - the diminutive Mojo pipped the Denafrips in your system! Weren't you then tempted to go slightly further up the Chord ladder after that?

Not really, system sounds very balanced and enjoyable. Experience is telling me to leave well alone - I’ve had my period of trying different DAC’s for now.

Thank you for your generous offer.

As expected many Chord fans here. If I was happy to spend properly on this I'd probably go for a Qutest but alas too many vying outgoings at present to justify such a purchase.
The RME ADI-2 FS DAC used over here typically goes for £550-650, it brings a lot of features to the party like DSP/EQ, Pre, Headphone Amp, it would be my choice sub £1K, if the features are useful it’s real VFM and sounds on a par with Qutest, I had both here and kept the RME into a Quad QSP power amp.

The Dacmagic is a real bargain around £80 refurbished, I use it with a SONOS system but had it in my main system for a while and it sounded much better than the price would suggest it should.

You tried the beresford?
No, I was going to buy one with the Dorado off a forum classifieds but the same day a Dacmagic came up and I stopped looking for a DAC in that price region. Might try one down the line if one pops up cheap, likewise a Shiit DAC is something I’ve yet to hear.

Mainly tweaking the vinyl side at present, am happy with the digital sources in all my systems, things are not so easy to sell on these days and it’s not gonna improve until economy improves.

I think an Arcam irDAC has the inputs needed. I paid under £100 s/hand for mine and have been very happy with the sound of it, no idea how it measures though.

No, I was going to buy one with the Dorado off a forum classifieds but the same day a Dacmagic came up and I stopped looking for a DAC in that price region. Might try one down the line if one pops up cheap, likewise a Shiit DAC is something I’ve yet to hear.

Mainly tweaking the vinyl side at present, am happy with the digital sources in all my systems, things are not so easy to sell on these days and it’s not gonna improve until economy improves.
Feel free to borrow mine with its dorado if you want..very good it is too..

Not really, system sounds very balanced and enjoyable. Experience is telling me to leave well alone - I’ve had my period of trying different DAC’s for now.

Good to know - I've pushed my Chord Mojo up to my son who's using it as a headphone amp - I never really did try it out seriously in my main system - this has inspired me to give it a blast.

It will be going head to head with a Metrum Octave mk2 ... but seeing as your little Mojo gave the Denafrips a good run for its money (and as you know the Denafrips has glowing reviews all round) ... then perhaps the Octave should stand aside and let the Mojo take centre stage for a bit.

advertisement

Back