advertisement

DAC as preamp

I have a Brooklyn and a Manhattan ii. You can set both to bypass the volume controls and give an unattenuated output, for use with a separate preamp or integrated amp. However, it take a series of button pushes to achieve this and it is virtually impossible to do it by accident. Obviously it can be done, but the displays (especially on the Manhattan) very clearly show what is going on. I have never done this by accident and I suspect that the probability of it happening by mistake is lower than that of inadvertently leaving the volume control on a separate preamp at max, or sufficiently high to drive the power amps into clipping.

However, it is possible to inadvertently push the volume increase button on the remote and send it to maximum (by sitting on it for example!) when nothing is playing and then to be startled by the ensuing full output when pressing play, but the same applies to any preamp with a remote control!

i think what happened to me was that the name of some setting was relatively obtuse and i misunderstood its purpose and boom.

I use a Hegel HD30 as a DAC and pre-amp. There’s no chance of it causing any surprises because it powers on at ‘30’ out of ‘101’ on the volume... Sounds fine to my ears too...

advertisement

Back