advertisement

DAB radio

I have one item that has a DAB, it was so dreadful I turned it off is it.

The sound of bubbling mud is fine when it is on a Merzbient CD deliberately there, but not as a feature on all type of talk and music there.

Keep FM alive thank you.

DS

I had someone come to the door today, doing a radio survey and I have a diary to keep.

One question was "How many radios do you have sir?". Six I replied. (I forgot its 7)
"Have you heard of DAB, are any DAB?". Yes I have, none of them.
"Do you listen to radio using your TV?". No.

I explained what I thought of DAB. He explained if the same thing had happened during TV switch over TV would be a nightmare. I said the same thing did happen, there's lots more channels and of poorer quality.

I get the feeling to dump FM they will now ADD together DAB+Internet+TV to say that > X% (50?) is digital so drop FM. Maybe. Seems like that from those stupid adverts I pay for on TV.

FM should be dropped when it is less than 33%. DAB is dire, especially in cars because in high building areas drop outs are total, not just a few crackles. And for these areas we should just go all internet anyway. Skip DAB. Forget it. Leave it where it is. Internet standards where codecs cant be improved easily (ogg etc) are the way to go to get more stations on the system.

I realise the bandwidth is worth a chunk to the country. Just drop DAB and replace it with a better / open standard.

well hope fm not dropped yet as dropped a fair few ££££ on a FM tuner not so long ago !!!

Refreshing to find a forum that appreciated good sound quality and hasn't been taken in by all the hype being shoved out by the Government and DigitalRadio UK.

The only reason DAB is being promoted is to put money in the pockets of the commercial broadcasters. They can't afford to be both on FM and on digital. Which is why I set up this website www.ten-myths-of-dab.co.uk.

(And still very happy with my 33/303 and a couple of BC1's)

advertisement

Back