advertisement

Cyrus CD6SE laser replacement

UKMattG

My CD6SE has been skipping recently and an isopropyl clean of the lens made minimal difference. I'd ordered a new laser from eBay (perhaps not best of ideas!) specifically for the CD6SE.

I've removed the solder link and installed it but just get disc error when it tries to read. It also takes a bit longer turning on with the message 'Reading'. I've not really soldered before so followed a YouTube vid where they used wick to remove the solder. Initially the wick stuck to the pcb. I got it tidier but after reassembly it didn't work. So I tried again and placed a bead of solder back and then removed it - much cleaner but still doesn't work with same disc error.

Is there an easy way to post a pic here for an opinion?

Anybody know what laser and mechanism is used in the this CDP? I'm tempted to send this one back as the production number was much lower than the one on the existing laser despite it being 6 or 7 years old!! It was sold as brand new. Pah!

Hi I have also replaced one of these on my cd6se2. If I remember there are adjustment screws on the bottom of the transport to adjust the sled rails. These will need to be adjusted to the correct height. It can be a pain as you will need to adjust then check it reads a CD...

I think it's a Santo or Hitachi laser(will check my spares box). Btw the solder blob is to short the connection to the ribbon cable to avoid damage from static, I would double check
If you are anywhere near Oxford I would be happy to have a look at it
Thanks jim

Thanks Jim, I'm in Brighton - so bit far but do appreciate the offer! Was it simply trial and error to get the correct height?

I've discovered it's a Sanyo SF-HD580.

Yes that's right - it's the anti-static blob of solder. The solder's all removed but around that area looks a little unclean - hard to describe and not sure how to post on here.

Also, how is the sled height adjusted? Is it simply loosening or tightening the screws in the purple washers at the back end of the sled?

It was quite some time ago since I fitted the laser but I remember having to adjust the the sled screws in small turns until it finally read the disc.
It is a pain but it can be done with the bottom off.

With the bottom off there are four screws holding the sled rails in place, one to the left may be covered by a small circuit board but should have a hole through it for adjustment, the way I did it was after I fitted the laser I tightened all four sled screws hand tight then loaded disc, and loosened of the sled screws until it read the disc, I'm sure these mechanisms come pre set but with a little fiddling it can be made to work. Also the ribbon cable must be routed correctly, it should come over the plastic bar at the back of the mech then under, I will try and post a pic

I will say that the way these particular mechanisms are made makes servicing difficult, I'm sure if it went back to cyrus they would just replace the whole mech

i have a cd8x sitting in a box , it was once sent back apparently to cyrus for repair at great cost but still failed again . seems to be the case with older cd from cyrus and as been on cyrus forum for many years i know that to be the case sadly . good if you can fix it yourself

It was quite some time ago since I fitted the laser but I remember having to adjust the the sled screws in small turns until it finally read the disc.
It is a pain but it can be done with the bottom off.

With the bottom off there are four screws holding the sled rails in place, one to the left may be covered by a small circuit board but should have a hole through it for adjustment, the way I did it was after I fitted the laser I tightened all four sled screws hand tight then loaded disc, and loosened of the sled screws until it read the disc, I'm sure these mechanisms come pre set but with a little fiddling it can be made to work. Also the ribbon cable must be routed correctly, it should come over the plastic bar at the back of the mech then under, I will try and post a pic

I will say that the way these particular mechanisms are made makes servicing difficult, I'm sure if it went back to cyrus they would just replace the whole mech

That's perfect - completely understand where you're coming from now. I've routed the ribbon cable via the original path - there's a retainer in the plastic brace that runs across the back of the mechanism.

I've since discovered the complete mechanism from donberg.co.uk. From various forums they seem to be a reliable source of CD lasers and mechs. They're cheap too - will go that route if adjusting the height fails. Really appreciate your help.

i have a cd8x sitting in a box , it was once sent back apparently to cyrus for repair at great cost but still failed again . seems to be the case with older cd from cyrus and as been on cyrus forum for many years i know that to be the case sadly . good if you can fix it yourself

Hey hifinutt, the web appears to be awash with failed Cyrus stories. Many say it's the only CD player they've had failed on them even though it's their most expensive CDP! I think I'll fix it, make sure it's happy and then sell it on whilst it's got a couple of years left in it.

Just got it working :)

Whilst the sled was out I loosened off the screws so only a couple of rungs of thread showed on the screw on the underside. Loading a disc made lots of noise - realised the screw accessed through the pcb, if loose, allowed the rail to move freely. Tightened enough to hold it and tightened the 3 other screws by half a return... and Bobs your uncle.

Still fussy on one of my problematic CDs (skips occassionally). Working my way through other CDs and all good so far. Thanks again Jimmytwos. I was close to sending the laser back.

For future reference - donberg offer the complete mechanism delivered for around £20. Would be quicker and easier.

I'm on my third Cyrus CD player / transport. Previous CD8x & CDXTSE2 both failed in ways reported widely. Current CDXt Signature has been reliable so far although the first two supplied were replaced. Sound of all three has been great when working with the current being fantastic.

ah good to see a fellow cu member here , the annoying thing is that cd8x/psxr sounded superb so really glad the cdxt sig has been fine

Glad you got it working, while you are in there you may want to also change the loading belt, they start to slip and can also cause read errors as the disc fails to clamp correctly. Nice players they are but they were unfortunately plagued with dodgy lasers/mechanisms.

advertisement

Back