Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Cyclists to be awarded equality with motorists.

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Rob998, Aug 6, 2022.

1. flatpopely

flatpopely Prog Rock/Moderator

All road users should be respectful of other users and be responsible for their actions, regardless of vehicle type. The risk changes depending what you are driving, one should drive accordingly. Politics is and should be irrelevant to this.

2. flatpopely

He saw her stepping out into the road and took no evasive action.

narabdela likes this.
  3. cobbers

cobbers pfm Member

Then they need to get ahead of the game - they need to see what happens when they are let loose (Tbilisi)

Brakes:
    • It's an offence to ride a bicycle on a public road without two efficient braking systems, operating independently on the front and rear wheel. Apart from saying that a brake which operates directly on a pneumatic tyre is not efficient, the regulations are unhelpful as to what is or is not efficient, nor do they define how the brakes must operate.
    • It is clear that a fixed wheel counts as a braking system operating on that wheel, so a fixed wheel bike with a front brake is legal (assuming both brakes are efficient!), but a fixed wheel bike with merely a rear brake isn't, as there's no independent front wheel brake.

4. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Feelin' nearly faded as my jeans

Also, he didn't stop after hitting her.

Bob McC and narabdela like this.
  5. cobbers

cobbers pfm Member

So left the scene of an accident

6. flatpopely

And lied under oath.

Bob McC and martin clark like this.
  7. Jimin

Jimin pfm Member

8. zeon

zeon pfm Member

The gazing at phone stepping off pavement is classic these days. As for red lights its pretty simple... JUST STOP... I do so 100 % of time on the bike ( honest ). Red light jumpers
    can also be very dangerous to pedestrians / other road traffic.

eguth likes this.
  9. flatpopely

5 years ago whilst walking on Sutton Bank I was on the right side of the road, two cyclists coming downhill missed me by inches, they were travelling faster than I would have in a car. Had they hit me, doesn't bear thinking about. What did stike me is they were not riding in consideration of other road users (me as a pedestrian) or their ability to anticipate the need to stop in an emergancy.

eguth and narabdela like this.
  10. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart Avoiding Stress, at Every Opportunity

On the road? Footpath? Cycle track?

11. flatpopely

On the road.

12. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

Fantastic and Long overdue change in the law.

martin clark and narabdela like this.
  13. flutteringwow

flutteringwow I am a sound quality evaluation device

There should be mandatory licences to ride a bike on a public road and it should also have a points system in place. Ok so it may be hard pushed to ‘ban’ offenders from cycling after hitting a high level of points but you can sure as hell fine them and put them on cycling proficiency courses.

14. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

But it is being used by the Tories for this very purpose, it is not based on need as there are adequate laws in place.

15. Tony Lockhart

That’s it. Anything to deter people from getting fitter and healthier, being environmentally better people.

And who the hell will enforce all this?
    Have you called the police after a burglary lately?

littleaudioco likes this.
  16. S-Man

S-Man Kinkless Tetrode Admirer

Many of the scrotes cycling recklessly are very proficient. I wish I could do a one handed wheelie like some of them can!

flutteringwow and Tony Lockhart like this.
  17. Tony Lockhart

And I’ll say this again.

Scuba divers take pretty thorough courses. Some die.

Motorcyclists pass strict tests, but many still ride like c***s and die.

Pilots, mountaineers, ooo car drivers, lorry drivers….

How the hell will YOU make sure cyclists alone will obey the law?

18. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

I am not defending his actions but just pointing out that his sentence (inadequate IMV) is actually in line with what drivers have been receiving (as outlined up thread).

19. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

Very difficult to determine whether they were going faster than you would in a car & I don’t see how this is relevant?

20. flutteringwow

flutteringwow I am a sound quality evaluation device

Use the traffic cameras and cyclists or their bikes to have an id number. Same as other road users do.