Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Cyclists to be awarded equality with motorists.

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Rob998, Aug 6, 2022.

1. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

But that is irrelevant to this topic as they are illegal so the police have powers to prosecute.

I have seen a scary fast one near me, must have been doing 35 mph, rider with no helmet, wearing a hoodie. It’s just the same with motocross bikes, no number plate, no insurance & rider with no license etc.

2. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

& you drive?

What a dickish thing to say. See it’s liked by the other idiots.

Somafunk and vince rocker like this.
  3. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr neither here nor there

Well, speaking as one of the idiots, it was very clearly a joke. And I don't think I've said anything on this thread that would justify labelling me as an idiot. You, however...

canonman and Fatmarley like this.
  4. Brian

Brian Eating fat, staying slim

It was a joke, woody.

Fatmarley likes this.
  5. Brian

Brian Eating fat, staying slim

This is true. I haven't even been able to imply idiocy so far...;)

Just a joke, my friend.

Sue Pertwee-Tyr likes this.
  6. vince rocker

vince rocker pfm Member

You joke about injuring or even killing a person?
    There are drivers who appear to take this "joke" seriously, we met one on our club ride on Saturday.

7. foxwelljsly

foxwelljsly Hawkwind and Fire

Problem is, cyclists have to face aggressive drivers every day emboldened by precisely this sort of nonsense. I live in the bloody sticks and there's always some monumental bellend prepared to have a pop or pass too close because 'they think it's a joke'. I'd say it's well within the definition of fair comment to describe anyone that thinks this is funny as a '****ing idiot'.

Jesus, people don't deserve cool stuff like cars as so many of them are ****ing idiots.

Somafunk and vince rocker like this.
  8. foxwelljsly

foxwelljsly Hawkwind and Fire

I'd give anyone £50 if they killed your kids. But don't worry, It's just a joke.

9. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Saw one this evening , I was waiting at a red light, he jumped the light at about 25mph and turned right across the 4 lane major road. As you can guess, no plate, no helmet, no insurance.

gintonic likes this.
  10. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

knobheads everywhere, on two wheels, on 4 wheels,on foot and on this thread..... they have to be treated equally in the event of them injuring or killing someone...

Brian likes this.
  11. zeon

zeon pfm Member

Yes, why is it so difficult, as I said earlier, red light..... JUST STOP. And I m a bike ist, don't drive anymore. And I think it goes along generally with the lowering
    of standards in society. Missed doctors appointments, repeat offenders at A and E on Friday nights, fly tippers and much other stuff of course. Some people seemed
    to refuse to do the simple things in life. Nearly forgot speeding drivers as well

12. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

I don’t see cyclists jumping red lights with any great regularity up here but I don’t commute by bike.

I think there is no evidence that cyclists do it any more than other road users.

13. zeon

zeon pfm Member

Seriously ?. May be different up your way, but London s really bad for it

14. kensalriser

kensalriser pfm Member

Was that joke funny?

Some years ago I arrived at work on my own bike to find the junction at Old St/Goswell Rd/Clerkenwell Rd cordoned off, emergency services in attendance and a large pool of blood being sawdusted and brushed into the gutter where a young woman cyclist had been crushed to death under a cement lorry.

So no, I don't find that joke very funny.

foxwelljsly and Woodface like this.
  15. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr neither here nor there

If you analyse humour, a very great deal of it is in bad taste, or shocking in some regard. Humour is often regarded as a sort of social relief valve. Bland jokes tend not to be very funny. It’s not fair to single out one joke that touches a raw nerve in you, if you laugh at others which might (for all you know) do the same to somebody else. So let’s not get too het up about a lighthearted throwaway remark, hey?

Brian likes this.
  16. windhoek

windhoek The Phoolosopher

It sounds like a long pair of ladders would come in handy for you're crossing the road down there lol

EDIT I is joking of course... you'd obviously be better off with a pair of telescopic ladders for ease of portability.

Rockmeister likes this.
  17. gintonic

sorry to say I see it almost on a daily basis, it is pretty poor in London, but Cambridge is terrible for it.

18. zeon

zeon pfm Member

O
    What do you expect though with students ( eyebrows )

19. gintonic

o_O:rolleyes:

20. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

I'm unconcerned, tonight's example is going to get his Darwin award very soon if he carries on whizzing into the likes of Henconner Lane at speed against a red light. Coming soon to a Casualty ward in Leeds or Bradford via an episode of West Yorkshire Paramedic Helicopter Action Interceptors On Ice.