advertisement

Cycling log - random events in the day of a cyclist

Status
Not open for further replies.
Took road bike to the Lakes for the first time ever, I usually walk up there.

Did Kirkstone, Wrynose and Shap, One ride was 46 miles and 5400 feet of ascent!

I’d certainly recommend it for riding.

B1589CBD-680C-45EE-BCDE-48E77600CAFF.jpeg

I did Honister and Whinlatter (from the Seatoller in Borrowdale into Buttermere direction) a couple of times on one holiday. Had to get off and walk on Honister first section in the trees -something wrong with the bike probably.

On the first trip when I came under the arch at the top near the slate mine and saw the valley stretching out I got a vertigo panic attack and inched down the first 50 yards.

Brought the wrong bike on holiday - single speed mtb geared for off road climbing and fat nobbly tyres - to Norfolk. Ok for pottering about with them, otherwise having to resort to spinning like mad on flat roads. It's probably a good work out but not much fun after about ten minutes
Bit late, but get over to the red route at Thetford Forest. Great flat high speed MTB circuit.

Thanks Neil, Sounds well thought out. Not sure about a water bottle under the down tube, though. All sorts of unmentionable stuff gets splattered there.
If you're bike packing, that's where your fuel bottle for cooking goes. FWIW, I prefer to take a lightweight 3L camelbak for water when bike packing/touring. I've just got back from using this sort of kit on a trip to the Pindus mountains and finished totally unconvinced by the latest bike packing luggage trend. Compared to panniers, the bags are a massive pain to put on and take off, those massive saddle bags and handlebar harnesses swing around all over the place no matter what fixings you use and the higher centre of gravity ****s with the handling and makes pushing the bike horrible. I'll be taking my OMM racks and Carradice Cordura panniers next time I do anything like that again.

I am becoming an increasingly fair weather rider, used to go out in all weather's but it doesn't take much to put me off these days. Having said that I ended up getting a proper soaking on Thursday, a real 'why I hate cycling moment'.

Can't say I enjoy it as much as I used to (post hip surgery) but have some great friends courtesy of cycling.

Years of wear left in mine. On the way to meet Dan of this parish for a pint and a curry the other night, the mudguard bracket broke. Oh dear. The cable tie I carry for exactly this kind of problem came out and I lashed it back together. Today I've made a proper repair with a proper bracket made from a jamjar lid. It was a bit wobbly so I put a return on one edge to stiffen it up. Nice. Set the controls for the next 20,000 miles.

Having barely touched a bike since getting back from cycle touring in Greece a couple of weeks ago, yesterday I knocked up a winter bike for the rough roads here in the North Kent Downs and today I went for a blast round Bedgebury on my new-ish full sus. 2.6" tyres are definitely a bit slow uphill, but aced the downhill sections. Back on the road bike for my commute again tomorrow, I need to get back to doing at least 100 miles a week to start feeling fit again.

What are others up to?

Trust you to ask ;-), riding in French weather and countryside is far more enjoyable than riding in Irish weather. Froze to death on my first ride back over here after Paris Brest.

I did a few more 100Ks at weekends, trying to make them a little interesting. Then into October, I started to really lose interest. So have taken a break from cycling altogether over the last few weeks. Just not motivated, plus I was a little tired tbh. So have been listening to music and doing other bits around the house that were neglected during the summer.

Starting to get the itch again now though, so hope to be back on the bike very soon. Probably just take it easy with slowish 100KMs until XMas, then see what the new year brings.

I recently joined a great guided off road ride from a local bike shop. Not that long by most folks on here standards at 56k and only 479m climbing.The leader was an amazing lady who is a semi pro long course triathlete, really inspiring person and lovely company. It was a chance to try my gravel bike on varied off-road terrain. Most was fine and plenty of traction but with recent rain a few muddy fields were a bit too much for my gravel tyres so I am looking at another set of wheels (650b) with knobs on for these winter muddy off-road rides.

I was cycling near Kings Cross the other day when I nearly got taken out by a fellow rider coming off the pavement to cross the road to mount the other pavement. I informed him he was a dick on several counts and he threatened me with violence. Reminded me why I decided to no longer cycle in London a couple of years back, a large proportion of the cyclists there are self entitled ****s that think the law does not apply to them and I think I shall once again go back to shanks's pony as a result.

The number riding around without lights at night is truly jaw dropping. I used to ask some of them why they thought it was a good idea, but getting told to foxtrot oscar repeatedly has put pay to that. It's a great pity the police don't take some action every now and then as it's just so stupid from a self preservation point of view as much as anything else.

Agreed. Listening and sensing the type of vehicle behind you is invaluable - allows me to pull in on narrow rural roads to let traffic past me - always get a wave of appreciation from drivers. Much better than an angry horn blast from a frustrated motorist

Always assume cars are trying to kill you. Proven right again today. Two lanes coming down hill I'm in left bus lane. Car in right lane stops and flashes a car to cut across both lanes. Cheers. Check your mirrors next time ar5ehole.

Always assume cars are trying to kill you. Proven right again today. Two lanes coming down hill I'm in left bus lane. Car in right lane stops and flashes a car to cut across both lanes. Cheers. Check your mirrors next time ar5ehole.

Apologies if I'm reading this incorrectly, but I think you're picking on the wrong driver. The car stopping to let someone across is not at fault and has no obligation to check traffic in other lanes. The fault lies with the car cutting across both lanes as they proceeded (presumably) when it was unsafe to do so.

In principle correct but he instigated the dangerous situation so it's very poor xriving. Shades of "I've been driving for 35 years, never had an accident. Seen hundreds mind." The guy coming the other way has his vision of the LH lane obscured by the waiting car.

In principle correct but he instigated the dangerous situation so it's very poor xriving. Shades of "I've been driving for 35 years, never had an accident. Seen hundreds mind." The guy coming the other way has his vision of the LH lane obscured by the waiting car.

Yeah, but this happens in busy places such as London all the time and if it didn't no one would be able to get across the lanes of traffic. It's sadly just a factor of driving in overcrowded areas, but a lot of motorists assume a flash means they are clear to go, it doesn't... the chap turning across should have proceeded with much caution. I see near misses like this all the time in the capital especially on yellow boxes where a car stops before it as their lane ahead is blocked, a vehicle will then turn right across the box not realising the left lane is still able to cross the yellow box. I see drivers (and some cyclists) make this mistake a lot ... it's a wonder there aren't more accidents to be honest.

I ride this spot every day and see a near miss at least weekly and an over the bonnet maybe 3-4 times a year.

In principle correct but he instigated the dangerous situation ...

I kind of agree with you there, because when you are driving, you should be aware of everything that's happening around you; these people that randomly stop annoy me too.

The car stopping to let someone across is not at fault and has no obligation to check traffic in other lanes.

I am VERY careful before flashing or hand signaling another motorist to go - I'm pretty sure that here in the US, if I gave someone a signal to go and a collision resulted I could be held liable, quite aside from having to live with the consequences.

https://www.marylandinjurylawyerblog.com/signaling-driver-claims.html

"The Maryland appellate courts have specifically held that drivers who give “go ahead” signals can be sued under a voluntary undertaking theory."

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back