advertisement

Cycling log - random events in the day of a cyclist

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very nice, is that titanium? A second set of wheels is a great idea. Disc brakes make it easier, in the past with rim brakes you had to be careful to get rims of identical size. I recommend some 28C or 25C slicks for the road, this will make your bike as fast in real life as a proper road bike. Not especially cheap, £200-300 minimum, but worth it and cheaper than a second bike of the same quality.

Yes Steve it is Ti. The Ultegra disc brakes are excellent and consistent - I was riding carbon wheels with rim brakes in the rain a couple of days ago and stopping seemed a bit random :( Plus the advantage of easy wheel changes.

I'm very pleased with my gravel bike too. My Giant TCR is a real racer, which is great if you want to put on the lycra and go out hard. But after using the Giant Revolt with knobbly low pressure tyres, the TCR feels twitchy and very hard. I'm much more easy on myself with the gravel bike and just enjoy the time outdoors. It may not be as fast, but rides so smoothly. I can highly recommend them. I'll save the TCR for French mountains where the roads are smoother and the weight difference more appreciated.

I was also considering a Revolt, it ticks all of my boxes in terms of requirements but the dealer i spoke to here in CH said they would not have any in until the New Year so I gave up waiting and went for the new Grade.

You can even change the front fork trail and increase wheelbase by 15 mm to compensate for handling characteristics when the bike is loaded for touring.

I like that idea. Stable or twitchy. I have a similar flip chip on the rear suspension of my full suspension MTB. It would be a good solution for tuning the trail on an MTB fork also.

I presume there is no problem with the brake disc/caliper when changing the axle position? Maybe use a spacer on the caliper mount ?

The whole bike design looks to be well thought out in fact(except for the sidewalls).

I was also considering a Revolt, it ticks all of my boxes in terms of requirements but the dealer i spoke to here in CH said they would not have any in until the New Year so I gave up waiting and went for the new Grade.
Looks like a good choice.

Of all of the advances in bike tech of the past 20 years I think LED lighting is the best. Lights used to be such a pain - heavy, not very bright, not very reliable. LEDs are a “major contribution to road safety”.

Anyone remember the Eveready and Pifco lights. A candle might have given out more light.

48799629023_77309ba42e_z.jpg

I got a new bike a couple of weeks ago too, a Reilly Gradient. This was taken on the first ride. It's a lovely bike with a very smooth ride. I have since fitted full guards for club runs. I will probably get another set of wheels (Hunt Carbon Gravel I expect) and less knobbly tyres for road use and keep the Panaracer GravelKing SK tyres on the alloy wheels for trails etc.

Snap, lovely things

48490147906_c2fe531919_k.jpg

Today was a lovely 100km / 4 hours / 1000m elevation - my longest ride for a while. Just loved it.

We've had a fabulous summer here riding mainly in different bits of France, and peaked in August with about 1200km for the month (mostly with my wife on our solos).

Nothing much random to report from today's ride but still refreshed by riding in rural France - no potholes, almost no traffic, rolling hills. Pays de la Loire / Brittany, to the town of Vitre where I think I missed the best bit (the citadel) which was up a bit of a hill.

What are others up to?

Not a lot here - training more for a Thanksgiving 5km. Did about 25 miles last Sunday on the new road bike, and hope to do similar tomorrow, if I feel up to it .

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back