advertisement

Cycling log - random events in the day of a cyclist

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very envious, it's a truly beautiful part of the world and great cycling terrain. The locals support was just so valuable and makes the ride so unique, really spurred us on. Well done you. Hope to be back in 4 years!

Picked up one of these in the sale for $800 at the weekend. I wanted a newer road bike where I can shift from the drops for some of the spirited group rides, but I didn't want to spend a fortune (diminishing returns, motor is the weakest link etc). First impressions are
1) It's not a racy geometry. Had to invert the stem to its lowest position to match the setup on my 20+ yr old 531c frame. Size 52cm and I'm 5'7" so it's not like I bought a size too large.
2) Saddle is rather uncomfortable. I'm being generous - I think I might stick an old San Marco Rolls on there for now.
3) What the heck is an 11-32 9 spd cassette doing on a road bike - swapped to a 12-25 and now we're good.
4) Apart from that nice bike. Handles well, shifts well, brakes are excellent, frame seems stiff, reasonably light. Hope it lasts. I'll continue to ride the 531 bike, but probably on solo and more leasurely rides.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/allez-sport/p/154238

specialized-allez-e5-sport-2018-road-bike-blue-EV306364-5000-10.jpg

I have a friend who works at wattbike. Their numbers dont look like they are achievable long term either. All these brands would do well to look at the concept rowing guys, they've kept it going for decades, no boom, no bust.

Witness to an accident this morning.
Junction of Chester Old Rd and Stretford Rd. Cyclist lost front wheel and went into traffic light post when attempting right turn.
Why is the green paint they've put down slippier than tarmac? I've had rear wheelspin on it when pulling away in a straight line so have always been ultra cautious.
Possible broken thumb and hopefully just a bruised collarbone.

Here is my new gravel bike on its maiden voyage:

Its a GT Grade Carbon Expert (The newly launched updated model). Seems pretty good so far and way better than my old crosser with canti brakes!

Nice - I have an older version with the look at me colour scheme I use as commuter/shitty weather bike. I love it.

As we are showing off new bikes, here's my new mtb. Ridden it twice, fallen off once.
y4meP84e0VVgH7gJUP0gLHXjZyQDj1I0OuYw06TZGs3dMNVaxPF0R_Ae6cE2pe9BX5Wf6-DXox8KWdvnPNvqtSUqd3YHqjGathkrHY5oiQGWH9nUTCIiUDWMkQ_2MhYD61bUcqB4Us5c0w--RfegrOLw7aTNhBoI7X2j-TrEc2ekSYD2yuJaLyqIZDu-ayVzNrL_0dpbnHjBT8JP9W2d-QM4A

I only ride 15-20 miles a clip three or four times a week in an area with almost no flat roads using three sub $1000 bikes. The newest made in 2008 and the oldest 1993. But I go at probably 80% of my max when I ride, so my resting heart is in the 40s and my BMI in the low 20s. I'm not sure that qualifies as PFM bike log material, but it's very important to me to keep at it so rather than trying to massively bump my average speed or distance and justify an expensive bike, I pay more attention to how I feel so I don't injure myself. I'm closing in on six decades.

I ride similar mileage, plus run about 10 miles a week and swim a couple of times - I'm just a mid-life crisis age grouper triathlete. I do it mostly for my mental health, but I think it's helping out physically too. When my daughter becomes lower maintenance (I'm a dreamer) I hope to get back to cycling the odd century ride, but time is at a premium at the moment.

Here is my new gravel bike on its maiden voyage:

vuPzxvcyqfmRrDK0vlQqCB202dSMDS6iXhZZVR_ltbo-2048x1536.jpg

Its a GT Grade Carbon Expert (The newly launched updated model). Seems pretty good so far and way better than my old crosser with canti brakes!

The downtube is extremely thin above the bottom bracket - I guess there must be little to no fore-aft force at that point? The front fork looks like it has woodworm - what's that about ? My gravel/winter/foul weather bike is an old Dawes tourer with canti brakes and downtube shifters - all a bit last century - but my part of the US has very little gravel territory - you're either on the road, or need a full blown MTB with at least front suspension. I really wish there was more option for gravel type biking so I wouldn't have to mix it with the cars so much.

When I was in the bike shop buying the specialized above I was struck by how much bike tech. had moved on in the past 20 years. There was barely a bike on display my side of $2000 and all of the $4-$8k bikes looked like they'd be very complicated to wrench at home. Still I suppose it's a good thing that the industry is having something of a resurgence.

Thanks. I didn't think I qualified but wasn't sure.
yes, but if your BMI ever gets over 25 - get out. Not really. I hate all the exclusive, Velominati bollo's that sometimes accompanies cycling. You ride a bike so I don't see why you shouldn't feel you can comment on a thread about riding bikes if you want to.

Last edited:
The downtube is extremely thin above the bottom bracket - I guess there must be little to no fore-aft force at that point? The front fork looks like it has woodworm - what's that about ? My gravel/winter/foul weather bike is an old Dawes tourer with canti brakes and downtube shifters - all a bit last century - but my part of the US has very little gravel territory - you're either on the road, or need a full blown MTB with at least front suspension. I really wish there was more option for gravel type biking so I wouldn't have to mix it with the cars so much.

When I was in the bike shop buying the specialized above I was struck by how much bike tech. had moved on in the past 20 years. There was barely a bike on display my side of $2000 and all of the $4-$8k bikes looked like they'd be very complicated to wrench at home. Still I suppose it's a good thing that the industry is having something of a resurgence.

Hi Sean,

The woodworm holes are mounting points for bikepacking adventures:

2020-GT-Grade-carbon-gravel-road-bike_-700c-carbon-adventure-gravel-bike_MPG-mounting.jpg

There are some rubber grommets available to cover them up which are on order.

The seat tube shape is all about the vertical compliance to aid comfort, apparently there is up to 30mm compliance at the saddle, this is achieved by controlled flex instead of active suspension components. what is interesting about this bike are that the seatstays do not contact the seat tube, they meet at the top tube. if you push down hard on the saddle you can see the seat tube flexing! They are constructed of fiberglass rods wrapped in carbon fibre i.e. they are not hollow.

2020-GT-Grade-carbon-gravel-road-bike_-700c-carbon-adventure-gravel-bike_separate-stays.jpg

with these features and the large volume tyres, it all adds up to a rather plush ride! Despite the vertical flex, laterally it is stiff, it feels plenty stiff enough when climbing out of the saddle, certainly not noticeably worse than my BMC SLR01 road bike.

One other nice feature is the chainset, it is a 30/46 chainset with a 11-34 cassette, perfect for those steep off road climbs and I do need a low gear around here.

You can even change the front fork trail and increase wheelbase by 15 mm to compensate for handling characteristics when the bike is loaded for touring.

https://www.gtbicycles.com/eur_en/grade-carbon-expert-2018

Thanks Neil, Sounds well thought out. Not sure about a water bottle under the down tube, though. All sorts of unmentionable stuff gets splattered there.

yes, but if your BMI ever gets over 25 - get out. Not really. I hate all the exclusive, Velominati bollo's that sometimes accompanies cycling.
I just ignore all that toss, same as I ignore the car toss on the car threads.
You ride a bike so I don't see why you shouldn't feel you can comment on a thread about riding bikes if you want to.
Precisely. I'll listen to someone who actually uses any bike over someone with a £2k machine that only gets used twice a year.

Brought the wrong bike on holiday - single speed mtb geared for off road climbing and fat nobbly tyres - to Norfolk. Ok for pottering about with them, otherwise having to resort to spinning like mad on flat roads. It's probably a good work out but not much fun after about ten minutes
You should have nipped to a bike shop for a smaller sprocket. My singly is about a 61" gear which was a bit twiddly this summer in the flatlands but it's great if there are hills. I think it's 15 rear, I'd have 14 in Norfolk.

48799629023_77309ba42e_z.jpg

I got a new bike a couple of weeks ago too, a Reilly Gradient. This was taken on the first ride. It's a lovely bike with a very smooth ride. I have since fitted full guards for club runs. I will probably get another set of wheels (Hunt Carbon Gravel I expect) and less knobbly tyres for road use and keep the Panaracer GravelKing SK tyres on the alloy wheels for trails etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back