advertisement

Cycling log - random events in the day of a cyclist

Status
Not open for further replies.
Harry glad you showed mercy though in their situation (not fat, just not fit) I remember absolutely pleading to be dropped!

HaHa. Ian, we have a no drop policy on Sunday rides but as you know it can be a blessing and a curse. We are impervious to the cries of "just leave me, I'll ride home on my own". Turning off for a shorter route is allowed but that's as far as rage mercy goes. Four or five took a detour today to avoid the Osmotherley/Scarth Nick climb over the Cleveland Hills. I managed second place but boy did I suffer.

Hahaha. Just spotted on Strava that I was two seconds faster on a climb than Harry Tanfield. Harry is a pro with top team Katusha. I can only presume he was out walking the dog :)

After a good start to the summer, poleaxed with a chest infection and chronic lumbago. Back out tomorrow with any luck.

FWIW, Shimano on everything apart from jockey wheels and MTB chains.

Just back from a couple of days in York. Ideal place to massage an old man's cycling ego. Lovely quiet roads, fabulous villages and it's flat meaning that cracking along at an average of 33kph is hard but so rewarding :) Even my easy day was done at a 30kph average.

Loads of nice food and beer and some Castelli goodies from the bike shop. What's not to like?

I've just put off tomorrow's big ride with a hill climbing nut, was to include 2x25% climbs and about 5000ft overall. I'm knackered after stepping up distance and climbing again this month but getting back somewhere near by fitness level last year. Still bloody slow

I've just put off tomorrow's big ride with a hill climbing nut, was to include 2x25% climbs and about 5000ft overall. I'm knackered after stepping up distance and climbing again this month but getting back somewhere near by fitness level last year. Still bloody slow

25% climbs. Character building. Tell me more.

25% climbs. Character building. Tell me more.
Somewhere out in NWalesoff the 100 climbs list - same chap had us going up Ramsbottom Rake last week, nasty slight diversion off the new bolton Iron Man course that gets steeper until 25% for the last stretch.

Some stinking climbs around Malham if that's your bag

Here's some scary stuff for cyclists who like to test their gears. All of them truly horrible. But I gave particularly awful memories of the Coal Road on a scorching hot day doing the Etape. The cramp had me crying my eyes out. My second worst ever day on a bike. You don't really want to hear about the worst ;-)

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2014/apr/18/yorkshire-tour-de-france-cycling-hill-climbs
I did a couple of them a while ago, checked Strava and I had taken exactly twice as long as the fastest on one of them, but I did stop at the top to take a pic of the warning sign. I am building a light bike to do some of this climbing, easier and more fun than losing a stone. Frame ordered, a Dolan Tuono SL, and I'll put Ultegra 11spd and Mavic Kysrum Pro's from another bike on it. Not had a sub 8kg bike for a while.

Somewhere out in NWalesoff the 100 climbs list - same chap had us going up Ramsbottom Rake last week, nasty slight diversion off the new bolton Iron Man course that gets steeper until 25% for the last stretch.

Some stinking climbs around Malham if that's your bag

My youngest son lives just a few miles from there. I'm planning a few summer sorties.

I did a couple of them a while ago, checked Strava and I had taken exactly twice as long as the fastest on one of them, but I did stop at the top to take a pic of the warning sign. I am building a light bike to do some of this climbing, easier and more fun than losing a stone. Frame ordered, a Dolan Tuono SL, and I'll put Ultegra 11spd and Mavic Kysrum Pro's from another bike on it. Not had a sub 8kg bike for a while.

That sounds quite heavy ;-) I'm reluctant to ride a thing that's anything over 6.8kg.

My Isaac Sonic LTD with a pair of DT Swiss Mon Chasseral climbing wheels is about 6.4kg. Now I'm under 70kg I feel I can do it justice ;-)

That sounds quite heavy ;-) I'm reluctant to ride a thing that's anything over 6.8kg.

My Isaac Sonic LTD with a pair of DT Swiss Mon Chasseral climbing wheels is about 6.4kg. Now I'm under 70kg I feel I can do it justice ;-)
I'll weigh it when done. I am nearer 80kg!

First decent climbing ride of the year...only 27m and 2,300ft of climbing but it's a start. Chain kept popping off in first gear so did the last climb in second and got dropped.
Carrying too much timber...hopefully the Couch to 5K will help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back