advertisement

Cycling log - random events in the day of a cyclist

Status
Not open for further replies.
Easy fat burning/recovery ride. 75km at 26kph. Good start to the week. Hope weather continues to improve, I need a big week.

Lovely day so decided to take my latest bike build for a spin. Always pays to be cautious with a newly assembled bike but I was a bit pissed off when the saddle fell apart from the seat post after about five miles.

An eagle eyed old fella saved the day by finding the missing piece and after 20 minutes faffing I was on my way.

Spent last week mountain biking in the high atlas and anti atlas in Morocco, a supported tour with Exodus. Never been on a tour before, or even a package holiday other than skiing. It was excellent, but also bloody hard work! Titled the Atlas Descent, there was actually lots of climbing. Wonderful mix of mainly offroad trails, singletrack, some very rocky technical downhills and (very quiet in terms of vehicles) tarmac.
Highly recommended if anyone is into such things. Alas, they don't seem to do any others similar (focus on cycling).
My legs are still aching...but I have a bit of a tan to make up for it ;)

Nice couple of hours playing out today, in almost summer riding gear. Trails are drying out nicely after the weekend deluge.
No d-head car driver incidents, no dog-s incidents. Minimal dog walker glares. Summer on its way! What's not to like?
There was a man doing something strange on his own in the woods, but he seemed harmless enough.

Had an "interaction" with another cyclist this a.m. They were ahead of me in the cycle lane (wide enough for two bikes; in fact this one on the approach to St. George's roundabout from Chorlton into town is the widest on my route) up against the solid white lane.
Choices:
1. Slow down to 10mph and wait until next junction to overtake.
2. Give them a ding on the bell and ask them to pull to the left.
3. Undertake them.
4. Check behind pull out of the cycle lane and pass...which is what I did.
Cue them going "Hey you're passing too close to me."

I've been waiting all winter for this week to arrive. Finally got off the road bike, onto the mountain bike, and started taking my daily commute through the Olympic Mountain Bike Park, instead of along the grimy, potholed roads full of idiot drivers. Much harder, longer journey, but infinitely more enjoyable. Bliss!

Just had an issue that I've never encountered in 50 years of bikes. I bought a new set of carbon wheels that came with tyres. Put tubes and tyres on and on inspection it looked like the rear wheel was buckled (wasn't round) badly.

Had a look and established tyre wasn't seated on the rim properly. I've heard of this but never experienced it. Took me three goes to get it sorted.

Off to visit my son in the Yorkshire Dales tomorrow. So I can try them out :)

Don't forget to use the small ring :)

Unless I do some of the bigger climbs like Park Rash (unlikely) or Kidstones (more than likely) I shouldn't need to trouble the little ring too much.

It might be down to training do you think? :)

It's still early in our cycling year and I was a bit shocked to realise, 3 weeks ago, that wifey and I hadn't taken the tandem out since September. Oops.

The first few rides a bit turgid as both us are completely out of shape but we will get there. Today was nice - 30 miles / 500m elevation at 22kph / 13.5 mph so we'e not breaking any records but very enjoyable ride anyway. All on rural incredibly quiet roads, with nice rolling terrain, and just a handful of cars, in northern France on the Orne / Mayenne border. We also took in some of the Velo Francette long distance route from Caen to La Rochelle. We'll do the whole route about 600km some day I'm sure, with the tent.

No random events to report this morning. Just a bit cold in the NNE breeze.

Had an "interaction" with another cyclist this a.m. They were ahead of me in the cycle lane (wide enough for two bikes; in fact this one on the approach to St. George's roundabout from Chorlton into town is the widest on my route) up against the solid white lane.
Choices:
1. Slow down to 10mph and wait until next junction to overtake.
2. Give them a ding on the bell and ask them to pull to the left.
3. Undertake them.
4. Check behind pull out of the cycle lane and pass...which is what I did.
Cue them going "Hey you're passing too close to me."

I've noticed in the USA it is acceptable / expected to shout 'On your left!' when you're coming up to overtake on a cycle path. I very rarely hear this ('On your right!', obviously) in the UK but do use it myself. I'd always use the bell as well / instead. If there were two riders side-by-side I'd expect them to go single file if they knew you wanted to pass. That would be the polite thing to do anyway!

I don't have a bell fitted - on pathways I just shout a polite ding-a-ling and instruct OK to pass on whichever side is convenient for both parties. Quite a lot of folk dog walking or running wear headphones these days and wouldn't hear a police siren, let alone the tinkle of a bell.

Certainly startle a few mind, but never had any grief.

I've noticed in the USA it is acceptable / expected to shout 'On your left!' when you're coming up to overtake on a cycle path. I very rarely hear this ('On your right!', obviously) in the UK but do use it myself. I'd always use the bell as well / instead. If there were two riders side-by-side I'd expect them to go single file if they knew you wanted to pass. That would be the polite thing to do anyway!

Yes, communication is the key. I say "on your right" and offer a few re assuring words if the slower rider appears startled or wobbly. Track or racing terms such as "stay" or "stay right" are perfect in those types of environments but may appear to be rude to a lesser experienced rider.

Certainly the 'on your left' shouts in the USA can be pretty assertive bordering on aggressive as in 'let me through, I'm not slowing below 20mph... and i’m going to cut really close ‘cause that’s more fun for me’

5 mile bike ride with daughter today, we laughed, we looked at things, we talked.
Cycling is not all about pain, at least it shouldn’t be.

Really. Thanks for the heads up.

Seriously, I got up at 6am yesterday morning and drove two hours from the Yorkshire Dales so that I could go out with my mates for our regular Sunday ride.

I did that because it’s such a good laugh and the craic is always brilliant. Sometimes there’s a bit of pain as well. More than 80 miles and it was thoroughly enjoyable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back