advertisement

Cycling log - random events in the day of a cyclist II

I've not been out for a while, all zwift riding. Did 5500ft climbing in 30 miles the other day, only zone two though nothing taxing.

I'm only joking. But that's a decent mileage. Sorry to hear about your hip though. Plans for a replacement?
I am on the waiting list for a full hip replacement, a vascular necrosis of the femural head. Serious shit unfortunately.

First unofficial club ride this morning. Nice to be back out with half a dozen, welcome relief with 20 mph + wind. Didn't deter, loads out and some notable KOM action going on in the hills - down wind

Went up one of the more famous local climbs early on, Kop Hill, three steep steps 18-20%. My best 3.50, puts me about top 50 from several thousand attempts. Kwiato was quickest of the Pro's in the 2014 TOB in about 3.30. Today I felt good so pushed on without going full tilt for a 4.06. Half way up the second steep section two young lads roared past one pulled off and yelled 'all yours' as the other set off from behind, given a stonking lead out. Looking at Strava for today seems he pulled a 2.58 only good enough for second. Nice to see the young Neo-pro's giving it a smash

When I was in London it was noticeable that a lot of the fast times on road segments had been set by groups of riders working together (often club groups) so it could be quite a challenge to get a high placing on the leaderboard when you were riding yourself. A following wind certainly helped thought.

Riders working together tends not to be common on off-road sections though, although on the sections that generally suit me (fast flattish ones) then you have to contend with times being set by folks on gravel bikes. If you're on a mountain bike then the bumpier the section the better, as it's easier to keep pedaling on a mountain bike on bits where a gravel bike will be getting pinged about. On one of the segments I used to have the KOM I'm now down to 3rd and the top 2 times were both set on gravel bikes. That segment is about 1.5 miles long and while most of it is reasonably smooth gravel it does have some bumpy bits so I might be able to take it back on my Epic (which is the only one my mountain bikes with high enough gearing to compete) so I'll need to head over that way and have a try.

Bought another bike a few days ago after chatting to my brother about the shoulder ache and pins and needles I tend to get in one hand after ~1hr+ in the saddle - possibly related to the operation I had on that shoulder 20 years ago for repetitive dislocation. Anyway picked up a 2012 but very lightly used Trek Cobia with 29 inch wheels that gives me a much more upright seating position. Still getting used to that as it feels odd compared to the more aggressive stance on my old Marin, but squeezed in 90 mins yesterday afternoon and generally had no issues at all with shoulder or hand, so that's good. The saddle is bloody hard mind, may swap them over, and my already somewhat sluggish pace is even more sluggish now with the chunky tyres but I'll aim to work a bit harder to get back up to speed.

Road bike, tubeless, CO2 inflation kit, emergency inner tube, then what?

Do you take a mini pump on longer rides just in case? Do you go commando and not bother with anything? Tubeless repair kit?

Just trying to get my head around what I need.

Road bike, tubeless, CO2 inflation kit, emergency inner tube, then what?

Do you take a mini pump on longer rides just in case? Do you go commando and not bother with anything? Tubeless repair kit?

Just trying to get my head around what I need.
All of the above except the repair kit. I always take a small pump with me as sometimes gas can be problematic.

Sealant should stop tyre deflating completely.

Best of luck

All of the above except the repair kit. I always take a small pump with me as sometimes gas can be problematic.

Sealant should stop tyre deflating completely.

Best of luck

Thanks. I just need the mini pump, then. And oh boy can they get blingy!

Haven’t had this thing out since it was stripped to the bone and rebuilt by the Bike Shed on Bute last autumn. I think I bought it in 2007 or 2008 for £450 which is peanuts by today’s standards.
https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/bikes/mountain-bikes/trek-6500-sg-review/
Discounted because discs had just become popular. Light as a feather and better than I remember. Tried to put our other bike in for a service but they’re choc full and won’t keep the bike till they can do it. It’s a bloody death trap with the brakes rotted away and rear derailleur cable gone.

6F6kGqv.jpg

jOW93aO.jpg

advertisement

Back