advertisement

Cycling log - random events in the day of a cyclist II

I'll be doing another 25 miles or so today and temperatures will be hot hot hot! I need to pick up a super light long-sleeved top to protect myself from the sun. If only the shops were open...

The Woodhead I'd think more likely for Glossop. Could of course be both, as a loop. Snake is full of motorcyclists though.
Depends which end of Sheffield you are riding from. Woodhead Pass doesn’t actually go to Glossop, which is a bit of a drawback;)

There's a road off at Crowden isnt there that goes across to Glossop? I've done more work (hence driving) in that area over the past few years than I can remember.

I'll be doing another 25 miles or so today and temperatures will be hot hot hot! I need to pick up a super light long-sleeved top to protect myself from the sun. If only the shops were open...

It won't help for today but Planet-X are often a good option for cheap but decent riding gear and they've been probably the quickest company I've used for deliveries during lockdown. They own the Holdsworth brand and are doing some decent kit with their colour schemes. I've got one of the short sleeved tops but there is a long sleeved one as well: https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CLHPROCLS/holdsworth-pro-cycling-club-long-sleeve-jersey

I wish cycling clothing was sized correctly in line with regular clothes, I could do with some new bibs and a short sleeve jersey but I'm just completely put off by the reviews as all of them mention sizing problems.

I wish cycling clothing was sized correctly in line with regular clothes, I could do with some new bibs and a short sleeve jersey but I'm just completely put off by the reviews as all of them mention sizing problems.

They can vary hugely and I've ordered stuff in the past that's been way out. The Planet-X stuff I've had (and a lot of my winter roadie gear is from them) has been fine. Rapha and Castelli sizing also seems ok for me - I'm a large in both of those, but some other manufacturers "large" cycling gear seems more like a "small".

Regular clothing sizes are far from correct in my experience.

It was Snake Pass I'm top end of Eccy road.

The Holdsworth Pro clothing is very good, its typical race fit, so size up if your not a 65kg midget.

Need a bit of advice from cycling fishes, I bought one of these second hand yesterday:

https://archive.trekbikes.com/us/en/2014/Trek/7_2_fx#/us/en/2014/Trek/7_2_fx/details

It's in good condition and feels comfortable. However it's only one or two rings up the trek ladder and surprisingly, given its frame is aluminium, is quite heavy ( it has mudguards, lock and rack, all of which I need).

Any advise on a value for money improvement I can make? Either to save weight or to make it markedly better. I don't want to spend a lot for now but would be happy to spend a bit to make a difference.

Need a bit of advice from cycling fishes, I bought one of these second hand yesterday:

https://archive.trekbikes.com/us/en/2014/Trek/7_2_fx#/us/en/2014/Trek/7_2_fx/details

It's in good condition and feels comfortable. However it's only one or two rings up the trek ladder and surprisingly, given its frame is aluminium, is quite heavy ( it has mudguards, lock and rack, all of which I need).

Any advise on a value for money improvement I can make? Either to save weight or to make it markedly better. I don't want to spend a lot for now but would be happy to spend a bit to make a difference.

At six years old, I’d just spend money on it when needed. The frame and wheels will define the weight, and without spending quite a few squids, you’re stuck with that weight. Maybe fit lighter, narrower tyres, if they’ll suit the riding.

At six years old, I’d just spend money on it when needed. The frame and wheels will define the weight, and without spending quite a few squids, you’re stuck with that weight. Maybe fit lighter, narrower tyres, if they’ll suit the riding.

I'd tend to agree. If it was mine I probably would upgrade the drivetrain, but only because I already have parts I could use as the gearing range is likely to be ok for commuting. A lot of weight will come from the likes of the wheels and the steel forks, but upgrading those wouldn't be cheap.

Changing the tyres is a good shout and the one other area I'd consider is the brakes. I've had bikes come with Tektro brakes on before and really not been impressed with them, so have replaced them pretty quickly. While decent brake pads can make a big difference, so might changing to something like Shimano Tiagra.

My 12sp runs 34 x 10/50

Based on the experience so far with 1x10 and 1x11 I reckon I'd need to go a 1x12 system on my Epic (with something like a 38 up front and the 10-50 cassette) as it's the one bike where the the lesser range of a 1x10 or 1x11 system would be an issue. Moving it to 1x12 would be quite expensive though as I could re-use much of the existing kit (and it's on a nice XTR drivetrain at the moment) - not even the brakes as it's currently using a set of Shimano's combined brake & shift levers. I think I'd also have to change the rear wheel, so most likely it'll be sticking with 3x9.

I think my Enduro would be good as 1x11 so that is likely to be might next upgrade project.

I moved my main bike in the garage on Tuesday and was dismayed to hear a tinkling from the rear wheel. A spoke has snapped. These wheels were hand built by Spa Cycles back in 2013. A quick email to Spa and I had a reply in a few minutes to confirm the spec and length.

I've done about 4000 miles and carried some heavy loads of shopping on the panniers, so that doesn't seem too bad. I did once have the chain come off when climbing and the location of the break might suggest that this had damaged spoke.

Hopefully the wheel will come good when the new spoke is fitted.

It does however go to Tintwistle and Hadfield, and you can spit to Glossop from there.
Yep, no one really cycles on the Woodhead Pass really, it is not very pleasant. The classics loop from Sheffield is to head over to Holme Moss & drop onto Woodhead for a few hundred yards before heading onto the snake via Crowden.

It is not too bad cycling back along the Woodhead pass from the Junction of Holme Moss but you wouldn’t do the whole road.

It was Snake Pass I'm top end of Eccy road.

The Holdsworth Pro clothing is very good, its typical race fit, so size up if your not a 65kg midget.
Out on the Snake pass is actually pretty flat until the end but, I do find the climb out of Glossop a grind though.

For clothing, particularly shorts, I recommend you go to the Assos outlet (it comes under ‘Swiss Iconic’). You can usually get bib shorts for circa £100, I know that is not cheap but they last far longer than others I’ve had. You will get 5 seasons out of their shorts, top quality stuff.

Regular clothing sizes are far from correct in my experience.

Yes this is the other problem, I have stuff in L, XL and even a couple of XXL shirts.

@SteveG I'm surprised at Castelli, they are the most common I've seen for "order two sizes above, designed for short Italian racing snakes" type comments, I had my eye on a pair of their bibs but all the reviews put me off.

advertisement

Back