Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Cycling distance app for iPhone

Discussion in 'off topic' started by RobFTM, Dec 17, 2012.

1. RobFTM

RobFTM pfm Member

I’m hoping for some advice please.

Is there a good app that can track the distance I've travelled using my iPhone? I can use Google maps when I get home but given I sometimes cycle along the Grand Union canal, this method isn't too precise.

The odometers that you can attach to the front wheel never seem to work for me as they usually get clogged with mud or something so I thought that this might be a better way. It doesn't really matter how far I've gone, but I’m a bit sad and I’d just like to know.

Thanks.

Rob.

2. Paul R

Paul R pfm Member

http://www.strava.com

And I think TonyL uses something else, but whether it logs your efforts I don't recall.

Paul

3. foxwelljsly

foxwelljsly Hawkwind and Fire

Cyclemeter too.

I generally have both on, the interface is better on cyclemeter, but Strava has better 'competitive' functionality.

4. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I use Cyclemeter GPS, it's superb IMO, almost worth buying an iPhone for on it's own. I guess my usage is far from technical / competitive, I just use it to log journeys made and mileage covered (2699.38 since I installed it in April).

5. sq225917

sq225917 Bit of this, bit of that

The one Tony uses is by far the best, good maps, accurate data and useful interaction.

6. doctorf

doctorf left footed right winger

Look at the free version of Endomondo.
    It's very good indeed.

Simon

7. RobFTM

RobFTM pfm Member

Thanks. Cyclemeter GPS purchased and now installed. It looks very good indeed.

Time to get the bike out again.

Thanks again to all.

Regrads,

Rob.

8. sean99

sean99 pfm Member

How is the iphone battery life with cyclemeter running ? GPS can be a bit of a power sucker in my experience and I'd imagine it would have to be running more than not to accurately log a bike journey, mileage etc.

9. NeilR

NeilR pfm Member

...and then when you run into a problem and need help, the phone battery is flat....

10. ampman

ampman pfm Member

IME the battery life is much better on cyclemeter than Strava. Cyclemeter lasted the whole 100 miles on a recent ride but Strava sucked all the battery life on about 65 on a previous ride.

11. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I find I'm able to cycle for a couple of hours with Cyclemeter running, find a cafe, browse t'internet / check email etc, then cycle back and still have well over half my iPhone 4S battery left. It's the screen that eats battery on the iPhone IME, the less you use it, the longer you get. I just use Cyclemeter for journey logging (i.e. the screen is off) unless I get lost and need maps, so it tends to last well for me. I've never run out yet.

12. zener

zener fluff

does it matter how far you have cycled , i do it because I love it and I am usually knackered at the end , which is all that matters really:)

13. Mapmyride is also great.

14. ClaraBannister

ClaraBannister pfm Member

This describes my own philosophy exactly. My idea of hell would be to stop at a wayside hostelry and do anything except have a pint and use the facilities. My computer stays firmly at home.