advertisement

Cyclic debates and moderation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone who's bought hifi has a financial stake in it. Take away all those you list and the punters would still be arguing.

Purchasing a piece of kit does not give you a financial interest in the company that made it or the industry as a whole. You derive no income from it. You purchased an item to do a particular thing, not bought shares of stock.

Having a portion or the entirety of your income derive from the manufacture, sale, support, or advertising & marketing of Hifi however, does give you a very direct stake in the industry and can color your perception.

Sure, people are still going to argue (it is the internet after all) but it does seem with this thread and the libel thread among others, as though some of the more aggravated posters are ones who have a direct financial stake in the industry.

Why "voice" at all? Why not do the sums, make the measurements and design the product? What's "voicing" go to do with anything?

You'll find even the most staunch 'objectivists', e.g. Alan Shaw of Harbeth, voice by ear. Your measurements would be lucky to identify the difference between a sax and a trumpet, they are only useful as a basic starting point. If it sound like shite, it's shite, it doesn't matter what the scope says!

You'll find even the most staunch 'objectivists', e.g. Alan Shaw of Harbeth, voice by ear. Your measurements would be lucky to identify the difference between a sax and a trumpet, they are only useful as a basic starting point. If it sound like shite, it's shite, it doesn't matter what the scope says!

But the measurements don't have to distinguish between a sax and a trumpet. They have to measure the frequency response, polar diagram, amounts of distortion, cabinet resonances etc. The listening comes at the end to make sure nothing's been missed. Designing by ear is a recipe for disaster and inconsistency.

S.

Perhaps just hit the mute button, sit back and enjoy the scope readout. You could save a fortune on speakers & cables and still enjoy the music.

Making a amp is like a recipe making a meal and different ingredients give different flavours and most brands have a house sound that is engineered in.

Making a amp is like a recipe making a meal and different ingredients give different flavours and most brands have a house sound that is engineered in.

If they do that, then their amps can't be transparent, so of no interest to anyone interested in High Fidelity (as opposed to HiFi)

S.

If they do that, then their amps can't be transparent, so of no interest to anyone interested in High Fidelity (as opposed to HiFi)

S.

Ive built a dozen passive preamps that im sure you would agree are all transparent but they all sound different.

Ive used Alps blu Noble dale stepped dact seiden and different resistors in shunt mods and they all are transparent but sound different.

Used 3 different types of resistors on the shunt on the seiden and they all sound different.

I consider the voicing of a loudspeaker to take place after the basic maths has been done, tweaking the slopes to complement natural driver roll off, asymetric network rather than a 24LR, Ist order approach, introduce a broad notch around 2k, tweaking baffle step, baffle layout, port tunings? All will affect the 'voice' of the speaker, in fact these (there are others) can make or break a design.
Interesting that Greg Timbers Head of design at JBL advocates charge coupled networks for their sonics and uses his ears to finalise/voice the totl JBL's-He is noted for a comment on the huge 4350's,the gist of which was that the numbers say they shouldn't work but nobody told the speakers!

Ive built a dozen passive preamps that im sure you would agree are all transparent but they all sound different.
Ive used Alps blu Noble dale stepped dact seiden and different resistors in shunt mods and they all are transparent but sound different.

Used 3 different types of resistors on the shunt on the seiden and they all sound different.

If you say so, I wouldn't. Did you evaluate them in a blind AB test?

S.

If you say so, I wouldn't. Did you evaluate them in a blind AB test?

S.

This is my last post on this forum.

I hoped this would be a place where folk could say how their kit sounds and ask others for advice on the sound upgrades would bring but thread after thread just gets crapped on with it all sounds the same and you couldn't tell blind.

I'm sorry but this place will turn into zero gain rapidly and i'm gone.

This is my last post on this forum.

I hoped this would be a place where folk could say how their kit sounds and ask others for advice on the sound upgrades would bring but thread after thread just gets crapped on with it all sounds the same and you couldn't tell blind.

I'm sorry but this place will turn into zero gain rapidly and i'm gone.

Sorry to hear this John. I completely understand where you're coming from though.

regards,

dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back