advertisement

Customer refuses parcel

richardg

Admonishtrator
I should know the answer to this but I do not. Nor have I been able to find it so far.

If you refuse a parcel, do you take on responsibility for the parcel by refusing it?

I have found info that states the buyer needs to pay for any additional charges couriers make for a return. I also know eBay policy sides with the vendor if the buyer has refused delivery. eBay buyers must accept delivery and then arrange the return afterwards if they want eBay protection

The issues are not just about additional charges. The parcel will be with the courier for several weeks in some cases until it returns. This increases risk of loss or damage.

By finding info that states I can deduct any additional charges for the return delivery from the customer refund makes me think that indeed the customer is responsible for the safe return of the parcel if they refuse to accept it.

Anyone know the answer?

If it's damaged on receipt then the consumer is not liable.
He emailed me and said he changed his mind and will not be going to collect it from the drop point. 'Can i have my refund now, please?' My thoughts were f off, obvs. He then went on to tell me it is normal policy for online retailers to take payment after delivery if paying by PayPal. F off again, I thought. And then I questioned whose responsibility it is if the parcel gets damaged or lost. I can't find the law on it so far.

No idea about the guy refusing delivery but I pay for stuff 'after delivery' with PayPal all of the time but my understanding is that Paypal pay the seller then I pay Paypal about 14 days later.

You the customer are responsible for cost of return.
But you are entitled to a return of any delivery charges you paid for it to come to you.
Rejection at time of delivery is no different from deciding to return within your legally entitled time.

You the customer are responsible for cost of return.
But you are entitled to a return of any delivery charges you paid for it to come to you.
Rejection at time of delivery is no different from deciding to return within your legally entitled time.
I am indeed entitled to compensation if additional postage costs are incurred during the return. I know that. What about damage costs? It all files under additional costs incurred due to the customer refusing the parcel.

dont forget the restocking fee, the admin fee, inconvenience fee.....
It's a tough world, Simon. Just had a customer have Amazon refund him and allow him to keep the product because the courier was a day late. We fulfilled in time.

It's a tough world, Simon. Just had a customer have Amazon refund him and allow him to keep the product because the courier was a day late. We fulfilled in time.

that's crap Rich, I wasnt really joking. Vendors I buy from have up front restocking charges. Cant you put in place (at least for direct sales) measures?

that's crap Rich, I wasnt really joking. Vendors I buy from have up front restocking charges. Cant you put in place (at least for direct sales) measures?
Well, we think we may leave amazon again. The system is totally stacked against us. That or we put the prices up even further to pay for such issues. Its already 10% higher than our store, we may add another 2%.

For the guy refusing delivery, it was bought from our own store, so we get more of a say in how things are going to be.

The interesting part is why he refused, any of these maybe, C/c on max, crashed the bike, cheaper elsewhere, tosser?

Bloss

Not quite the same but when I had the diesel fuel injection business I once had a customer who was wanting to take his vehicle away without paying the previously agreed invoice, "...just send me the bill" sez he. "Err no, you have to pay now or the vehicle stays here." An arguement ensued ending with me launching what he thought were his car keys (they weren't) onto the workshop roof. "You pay now or the car stays here!" sez I, upon which the correct amount of notes suddenly appeared from his pockets and his keys appeared from mine...:D

I should know the answer to this but I do not. Nor have I been able to find it so far.

If you refuse a parcel, do you take on responsibility for the parcel by refusing it?

I have found info that states the buyer needs to pay for any additional charges couriers make for a return. I also know eBay policy sides with the vendor if the buyer has refused delivery. eBay buyers must accept delivery and then arrange the return afterwards if they want eBay protection

The issues are not just about additional charges. The parcel will be with the courier for several weeks in some cases until it returns. This increases risk of loss or damage.

By finding info that states I can deduct any additional charges for the return delivery from the customer refund makes me think that indeed the customer is responsible for the safe return of the parcel if they refuse to accept it.

Anyone know the answer?
If someone has not taken delivery, then I don't see how he has any responsibility for it or what subsequently might happen to it.

If someone has not taken delivery, then I don't see how he has any responsibility for it or what subsequently might happen to it.
Well....2 areas where buyers might consider their actions when behaving like this:

1. If I get charged postage costs for the return (DHL charge me 10 euros, noone else charges me anything), I am allowed by law to deduct this cost from the refund.
2. Ebay has this policy: 'Buyers who refuse delivery are not covered by the moneyback guarantee'. In summary, I can take the parcel back, keep it and not refund the customer. How that works legally I don't know, but we have taken advantage of this once before when the transaction got nasty.

So...it is worth digging around to see what else I can unearth to protect myself, admittedly nothing so far.

Some carriers small print say that the customer must reject any damaged items BEFORE accepting the delivery.
How on earth you can properly check for damage without opening the package I don't know.
I got caught by that once when the outer box looked perfectly OK, but on opening the contents were broken.

We have just had the same customer try to buy from us again and, following a conversation on the phone with amazon, have learnt that his account has been blocked pending investigation. They believe he is a competitor, possibly Chinese, trying to get us kicked off amazon.

And people say ebay is like the wild west....

They believe he is a competitor, possibly Chinese, trying to get us kicked off amazon.

And people say ebay is like the wild west....

I'd have never thought that is something someone would do, but I'm not surprised.......

advertisement

Back