advertisement

Current Market Price? JR149s

Hmm, maybe I have my wires crossed and am mixing up Falcon with another source. I've just Googled "T27 ferrofluid" and the general consensus appears to be that it doesn't contain it, though there is some disagreement over it.

I suspected as much, though I’ve never taken one apart or seen inside (I don’t think it is possible). It probably pre-dates it as a concept!

Yes, thinking about it, the T27 is too old to have been using ferrofluid. The T33 did use it and I bet many aftermarket swaps for the T27 did too

No, I had them made by a speaker foam company in the US who would do bespoke orders to my measurements. There was a bloke in the UK selling foam grilles for a long while for about 35 quid a pair, but annoyingly as soon as I found myself a pair of 149s they vanished from the market so I ended up paying several multiples of that getting some made! I got two pairs so I have a spare set in case I need them.

I think the UK guy that used to supply the foams to near enough original spec was Graham Hartle, years ago, I bought a pair.

Ok, so I bought the other ones on ebay because I was outbid on the pristine ones.

The item number is
red logo, bit tatty in places, apparently the caps and drivers are all original and working.

Probably paid too much (£293 incl postage), but I have some JR149s at last and they are perfect for the intended room.

I'll get them recapped and over the years may well get the drivers replaced as they won't be going anywhere for a while.

Thanks all for the fascinating thread, I'm loving learning about them.

Hmm, maybe I have my wires crossed and am mixing up Falcon with another source. I've just Googled "T27 ferrofluid" and the general consensus appears to be that it doesn't contain it, though there is some disagreement over it.

I have taken apart several T27's, no ferrofluid in them.

I think the UK guy that used to supply the foams to near enough original spec was Graham Hartle, years ago, I bought a pair.
I have posted this contact before :
www.foamspeakergrilles.com

Makes very nice fluted speaker foams for the JR149 - I think where Tony L also got them from.

From the earlier post about refreshing the wood top and bottom. Yes it is thin veneer so VERY light sanding with 180 then 220 grit, perhaps a third sand even finer grit. Varnish with masking tape to prevent running brush & varnish onto the metal.

Tangent acoustics from the 70's purposely wired T27 out of phase on many of their speakers. The ones I heard at the time were not to my liking but many people seemed to go for them if I recall correctly, including model RS4 and RS2.
If you've got your wires crossed the T27 probably won't work...

I have posted this contact before :
www.foamspeakergrilles.com

Makes very nice fluted speaker foams for the JR149 - I think where Tony L also got them from.

From the earlier post about refreshing the wood top and bottom. Yes it is thin veneer so VERY light sanding with 180 then 220 grit, perhaps a third sand even finer grit. Varnish with masking tape to prevent running brush & varnish onto the metal.

Yup, $99 for the set. Will get these once the falcon recap is done.

Thanks for the advice on the wood.

Tangent acoustics from the 70's purposely wired T27 out of phase on many of their speakers. The ones I heard at the time were not to my liking but many people seemed to go for them if I recall correctly, including model RS4 and RS2.

There are wires crossed, out of phase and a simple short circuit.
You pays your money and takes your choice...
I couldn't get on with the Tangent RS4s. Many did, though.

Just had an email from Jerry at Falcon confirming that the T27 has never used any form of ferrofluid. I was pretty sure that was the case but nice to have it confirmed by someone who knows.

They were certainly flavour of the month for a while. I remember too that the tweeters were out of phase with the woofers. They were praised for their soundstage depth, but I never heard a pair. Big midrange suck out if I remember correctly.

They were certainly flavour of the month for a while. I remember too that the tweeters were out of phase with the woofers. They were praised for their soundstage depth, but I never heard a pair. Big midrange suck out if I remember correctly.
Indeed - I heard the RS4 many moons ago and just didn't like it. I seem to recall they came top in a magazine review at the time beating BC1's and 104ab's - it may have been by Jimmy Hughes but can't be certain (long time ago). I do coincidentally remember also reading an article by a reviewer (again it may have been Jimmy Hughes) who warned against wearing a digital watch with an alarm in the same room as the speakers you were listening to, because the 'speaker' in the watch, which was located under a tiny grille on the face in many of these watches at that time, would vibrate sympathetically with the drivers in the speakers you were listening to at the time and this would 'colour' the sound quality. Whether it was true or not, I have no idea. I didn't care for digital watches and never owned one to test this theory but sounds like a load of old bunkum to me.

Just had an email from Jerry at Falcon confirming that the T27 has never used any form of ferrofluid. I was pretty sure that was the case but nice to have it confirmed by someone who knows.
Thanks for that. I wonder if the T27 was not using annealed copper wire. This does have a long term reliability effect.

Indeed - I heard the RS4 many moons ago and just didn't like it. I seem to recall they came top in a magazine review at the time beating BC1's and 104ab's - it may have been by Jimmy Hughes but can't be certain (long time ago). I do coincidentally remember also reading an article by a reviewer (again it may have been Jimmy Hughes) who warned against wearing a digital watch with an alarm in the same room as the speakers you were listening to, because the 'speaker' in the watch, which was located under a tiny grille on the face in many of these watches at that time, would vibrate sympathetically with the drivers in the speakers you were listening to at the time and this would 'colour' the sound quality. Whether it was true or not, I have no idea. I didn't care for digital watches and never owned one to test this theory but sounds like a load of old bunkum to me.

The magazine was Hi Fi Answers. I got the impression they were in cahoots with the manufacturers and retailers, recommending certain pieces of kit.
Of course, I could be wrong...

advertisement

Back