advertisement

current input phono stages (MC) with switchable EQ curves

Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Accuphase all the way down
Yesterday I had the privilege of hearing the CH Precision phono stage. It has both voltage sensing and current input MC stages, and offers selectable EQ curves. I've heard the difference between EQ curves before, and I also have (and love) my Arkless current input phono stage, so this is the best of all worlds. Except for the minor matter of the cost.

So I'm looking to see if there are any alternatives which offer the same functions, without the need to sell a kidney. Anybody able to help me compile a list, or have I already compiled it in this post?

Why do you want selectable EQ? Surely better to buy and amp with effective tone controls?

Unless we're talking about '78's.

Been here many many years ago. Stereo wise, the reality is that unless the EQ is documented on the record or record sleeve, it is pure speculation that the EQ used is anything other than RIAA. Now mono recordings pre 1957 is another matter all together. I guess it depends if you have a big pre 1957 ish mono record collection...

The iFi iphono2 had the capability. It got good reviews but apparently early on the PS was iffy and prone to failure.

EMT JPA-66
FM acoustics 223
dat_223.pdf
Real world prices Project Phono Box RS2

emt_phono_stage.jpg

001960-03.jpg

7519_full.jpg

Reactions: Jlc
Please bear in mind the OP was about switchable EQ curves in a current-input design, like the Arkless, or the Dynavector 'Dr T' mode. I'm aware there are a fair few stages with the EQ, but the combination with current input operation seems rare.

If you want to sell a kidney Mola Mola include a phono stage in their Makua Preamp and Kula integrated which has over 70 curves all selectable from an app on a tablet or phone (switching is done in analogue domain). See a review here
https://www.stereonet.com/forums/topic/543855-my-adventures-and-thoughts-with-mola-mola/

They are planning to release this as a standalone phono stage (saw a prototype in reports from a hifi show last May) called the Lupe.

The EQ on that is all done digitally. The point of analogue is just that, it is analogue...

I built a Mono Phono stage one over 15 years ago with 3 switchable EQ's plus the option to offer a custom EQ. I sold quite a few in the USA.

Seven-Mono-e1669224690356.jpeg

The main issue with all phono stages that offer shed loads of facilities (MM/MC, Loading, EQ, mono/stereo, variable gain etc) is that to offer these involves using loads of switches in the signal path, when the signal is at its most vulnerable, where the signal is at its lowest level. It begs the question whether the facility with all its extra connections degrades the sound more or less than the advantage the facility is supposed to offer? The best sound is always achieved when there is the least parts and connections in the signal path.

And anything with a screen built in like the Gold Note above will be massively compromised due to the amount of digital noise sprayed all around the very sensitive phono circuit. The very last thing in audio you should do is to put a computer/microprocessor in the same case as with the extremely delicate and sensitive phono circuit. A phono stage should be purely analogue if high performance is the end goal.

The EQ on that is all done digitally. The point of analogue is just that, it is analogue...
Note sure how you arrived at the EQ being done digitally. I understood it was analogue. See the quote below from a Positive Feedback review (my emphasis added):

"The phono stage's performance rivals, and in many ways surpasses, the performance of some other fine units that I currently use as references, including the excellent Parasound JC 3+ and the stellar Sutherland 20/20. Quiet, sonically well-balanced, with superb bass weight and definition coupled to impressive dynamic scaling, I suspect that the $3800 phono board can compete with stand-alone units that cost $4-5K. Add to the mix the ability to preset each input as an independent phono stage and near infinite configurability, including your choice of up to 72 different equalization curves, and you have a formidable package. Please bear in mind that while the loading and equalization options are configured in the digital realm, the actual chosen equalization curve is applied in the analogue domain, meaning no loss of fine sonic detail owing to last minute analog-to-digital signal conversions."

However I misread the OP and this is not a current-input design so would not suit the OP.

And anything with a screen built in like the Gold Note above will be massively compromised due to the amount of digital noise sprayed all around the very sensitive phono circuit. The very last thing in audio you should do is to put a computer/microprocessor in the same case as with the extremely delicate and sensitive phono circuit. A phono stage should be purely analogue if high performance is the end goal.
You need to tell Gold Note that as they seem to use the same design on all their phono stages and get decent reviews off the back of it. Are you also suggesting the signal path is digitised?

It’s worth reading Michael Fremer’s article investigating the issue of non-RIAA curves as it clears up a lot of hearsay and myths. I’ve read about some rather deluded people claiming that some stereo LPs from the 70s aren’t RIAA, even though the original engineers emphatically deny it.

https://www.analogplanet.com/content/phono-equalization-bs-continues

Though he qualifies all his statements with "in the stereo era". I've not seen anyone sensible suggest that non-RIAA curves were used past the mid 50s and into the stereo era.

He doesn't link to the review he's responding to but the fact it apparently mentions Prestige OJC pressings(!) suggests to me it perhaps wasn't a reliable piece of writing.

advertisement

Back