Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Curmudgeon Corner

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Snufkin, Apr 11, 2020.

1. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr Well, I can dream, can’t I?

How strange. I’d always assumed you lived in a Tory led area.

2. deebster

deebster Half Man Half Biscuit

Yay, my favourite thread is back.
    • The incorrect use of 'myself' by TV types, as in 'Steve and myself will be...'. You don't say 'Myself will be...' do you?
    • (This is probably a repeat but it's getting even more common) 'Sort of' uselessly peppering sentences too. Listen to male BBC Breakfast presenters and Adam Frost, who stands in for Monty on Gardeners' World.

3. Marchbanks

Marchbanks Hat and Beard member

I was led to believe that they all are nowadays.

Sue Pertwee-Tyr likes this.
  4. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr Well, I can dream, can’t I?

Definitely agree with the first.

I like Adam Frost, and he's an excellent stand in for Monty, but I do find the way he breaks up his sentences slightly distracting. I've never heard commas made so audible.

5. deebster

deebster Half Man Half Biscuit

Oh agreed Steve, as a gardener and a bloke I like him. Just that savvern way of speaking less so.

6. MikeMA

MikeMA pfm Member

So, I want to know when "to" became "ter".

Boris Johnson says it all the time, and it's spreading.

Minio likes this.
  7. Cav

Cav pfm Member

The use of CHAOS on this forum. An acronym I see nowhere else, thankfully.

8. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

Not sure you're supposed to rejoice on this thread (but I empathise.....:))

Yes, this pisses me off too, but it's not just TV personalities; it's EVERYONE (who is ill-educated). Myself and yourself. Themselves, herself and himself are, luckily, impossible to bugger up.

Example: 'My wife and myself' is pretty bad, but 'Myself and my wife' is doubly so, as it relegates t'other half to the scullery, in effect. There are a number of erroneous variations on this theme.

Big poster for an annual local fair states, every year, 'Antique Fair'. Really/ How old is the fair, then? My daily paper yesterday made a similar error in confusing the adjective with the (pl) noun

I do wonder, sometimes, if other alphabetically based languages are similarly mangled grammatically or syntactically to such a degree.

Enfield boy likes this.
  9. Marchbanks

Appalling, isn't it. Everyone should know by now that in the context of antiques or pub food the word is spelled 'fayre'.

10. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

Ha ha! With food, it's 'fare', shirley(!) Re. 'Antiques Fayre', my local one calls it 'fair', but it is Norwich, after all. Within the context of antique pub food, the jury's out.

11. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

Prefer my pub food to be a bit fresher rather than antique

12. Amber Audio

Amber Audio This is the Day

It’s spelled “grub” innit?:)

13. Marchbanks

[​IMG]

That concludes the case for the prosecution, m’lud.

14. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke

I like the vaguely apostrophe-shaped steam arising from beneath the lid, tantalisingly placed so it might or might not be after the 'r' in 'Brewers'.

Snufkin likes this.
  15. Nero

Nero Call me 'Goose'

Ahem, that's not food

16. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Booyakashah, check out my avatar...

Correct. That's a sign.

Big Tabs and ks.234 like this.
  17. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

Don't agree with Joe re. 'accidentally deliberate' apostrophe, because the sign is totally inaccurate. 'Fayre' is a 'ye olde' faux word for 'fair' and has no connection with food. If they got that wrong, I'd be amazed to see an accurately placed apostrophe. I doubt they could organise a 'postrophe in a brewery. Actually had a reasonable curry there a few years back.

18. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Booyakashah, check out my avatar...

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/fayre

an old-fashioned spelling of fare, used to talk about the type of food served somewhere:
    a chance to sample fine local fayre

hth

19. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

Well, my New O.E.D. simply has it as 'pseudo-archaic sp. of fair'.

Can't read your Cambridge version because of the annoying cookie panels, unfortunately. These are another thing which I submit to this thread. Yes, I know it was done without one's knowledge in the past, but what you don't know........

20. Frizzy

Frizzy Liberal anarchist

If this is place for pedants, my ire is irked at the continual overuse of the phrase ‘existential crisis’ no one has problems any more, everything sounds more ominous when it’s a ‘existential crisis’