advertisement

Culture War

Not really sure what you’re trying to say here.
Your comment about over policing poor and black communities raised three questions for me.
1) Hasn't this always been the case since the beginning of black and poor communities?
2) I'm puzzled as to how there is over policing when im hearing complaints of insufficient police numbers / resources.
And
3) What is the post Thatcherite view of how communities should be policed?

Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse... https://www.theguardian.com/media/2...n-fox-news-style-opinionated-tv-station-in-uk

I'm getting to the end of my tether with "the left", even though it will always be my own belief system... I'm sick of them metaphorically sticking flowers in the gun barrels of the right when they should be trying to get bigger, nastier weapons than the right... We need Che Guevara not Owen Jones!

The only alternative is to be a wishy-washy fence-sitter.

Years ago, my then-girlfriend and her father were discussing fox-hunting. She was against, he was for. The argument got quite heated, and they both turned to me, with 'What do you think?' and I did my usual 'Well, on the one hand X and on the other hand Y' Blah blah blah, to which her father responded 'I'm going to cut off those effing hands in a minute! What do you actually think?'
The chairman of a PLC I used to work for frequently talked bout wanting to recruit one-armed lawyers, for the same reason.

Your comment about over policing poor and black communities raised three questions for me.
1) Hasn't this always been the case since the beginning of black and poor communities?
2) I'm puzzled as to how there is over policing when im hearing complaints of insufficient police numbers / resources.
And
3) What is the post Thatcherite view of how communities should be policed?
On 2), the complaints tend to come from comfortable middle-class white communities IME, not either the black community, or the poor white communities who really could use a bit more police activity.

A year ago there seemed to be a call for more police presence in areas of high knife crime.
Not just from white elites but the mothers of the victims.
I might be naive in assuming that those areas were also poor and black.

A year ago there seemed to be a call for more police presence in areas of high knife crime.
Not just from white elites but the mothers of the victims.
I might be naive in assuming that those areas were also poor and black.
Well sure, but it’s not simply a matter of police ‘presence’ is it. There’s plenty of evidence to support a view that black people are disproportionately likely to be subject to unwelcome police attention, often without any reasonable cause. Your argument is disingenuous and I’ll stop engaging on it now.

Well sure, but it’s not simply a matter of police ‘presence’ is it. There’s plenty of evidence to support a view that black people are disproportionately likely to be subject to unwelcome police attention, often without any reasonable cause. Your argument is disingenuous and I’ll stop engaging on it now.

Interesting article in the Grauniad the other day under their "Anonymous" by-line series from a serving cop saying that although they're not much bothered about cannabis these days they use the excuse of smelling it, even when no odour present, to stop and search youngsters, especially black ones, on an hourly basis! He claimed there are loads of black youths who have on record that they have been stopped and searched on suspicion of possession maybe 30 times and not once found to actually be in possession! Now if that's not police harassment then what is!? Yet another reason for legalisation... and possibly the true reason that some forces are opposed to this!

In the meantime, pensioners are freaking out about the end of TV licences... Jesus Christ, the whining entitlement it takes to countenance that —
So it's not just the LibDems stoking up generational warfare.
And who are these pensioners you refer to? Figments of your imagination, invented to support your bile?

Well sure, but it’s not simply a matter of police ‘presence’ is it?

I totally agree.
Perhaps the original text of what this is about could have reflected that simple fact instead of jumping on the usual bandwagon.
Disengagement mutually effective.

The chairman of a PLC I used to work for frequently talked bout wanting to recruit one-armed lawyers, for the same reason.

He would just find he had employed one armed bandits instead of two armed ones.

Interesting article in the Grauniad the other day under their "Anonymous" by-line series from a serving cop saying that although they're not much bothered about cannabis these days they use the excuse of smelling it, even when no odour present, to stop and search youngsters, especially black ones, on an hourly basis! He claimed there are loads of black youths who have on record that they have been stopped and searched on suspicion of possession maybe 30 times and not once found to actually be in possession! Now if that's not police harassment then what is!? Yet another reason for legalisation... and possibly the true reason that some forces are opposed to this!

It is simply the "Proceeds of Crime Act" that makes it impossible to legalize.

They do very well out of this, bundles of cash, properties, performance sports cars and so on.

Do you really believe the product is incinerated when seized?

Lols.

It may be more profitable to burglarise as a cop than wearing a stripey top and eye mask (citations in image).

9faf0fc225f08cdb7577c830663671c1.png

Or, it's easier to make money from being part of an organised crime group than being a burglar.

Certainly if you were the white, moneyed, gated-community type and wanted to buy good quality weed before it was decriminalised in CA, the best suppliers happened to be cops lifted fresh from Mission District street dealers that morning.

advertisement

Back