advertisement

[CS] Sea Ranch selection

dan m

pfm Member
I thought I'd start a 'critique sought' thread with a different twist. I've come back from a nice stay on the Northern California coast where I was mostly using a Nikon D7000 and either a Sigma wide angle or Nikon 35mm. Below are a selection of 11 images (I will add some more I imagine). I'd like to ask which ones work, which ones don't, which ones work work better with alternative treatments, cropping, etc. And finally, do they hang together as a whole.

I certainly feel that the images featuring that wonderful sky are excellent and would look great framed and hung as a set. I like the almost infra red look too.

I kind of agree with Jem

wherever there is some blue sky and the B&W processing has made it a deep grey it's kind of the effect you can get from a polariser or a red filter on colour or black and white film, which is no bad thing

I also like the one with the fence and path a lot #10

Not sure about #6 as the detail in the shadows has been lost

The links on #9 and #5 seem to have been lost

Interesting lens flare on #13, and not where I would expect it bottom right

Jem, thanks. Which subset would work as a set?

Cliff, 9 & 5 restored. #10 I had taken 5 years ago with my Leica - I should dig out the negative and see which I prefer and make a print for the wall. #6 - I agree, if I had better computer skills I'd selectively restore those shadows.
#13 - so does the flare distract or work? As you might guess, the sun is pretty low. This is a 16x9 crop of a photo taken with the camera horizontal. The crop removed a lot of foreground grass - hence the flare is not centered.

Please keep comments coming - all part of the learning process. One thing that bothers me is that the toning is not consistent - it's really hard to set it to be the same in all the images in Aperture, and I am not sure how I can get around that.

Re: #10 - that figures, real film and the Leica lens 3D pop

re #13 - the flare is interesting, although not essential to the shot

re #6 if you open the RAW in adobe camera raw you should just be able to boost the shadows on the black or shadow slider, alternatively Silver eFex Pro II has a preset that brings up all the shadows and balances the highlights even in a jpeg. However the 2048 * 1103 jpeg on flickr has quite a bit of shadow banding in the sky, so I'd start with the RAW rathe than the jpeg if it was me doing it :)

Cliff, clarification - #10 this trip (D7000) and #14 (just added) is a scan of the the same shot taken back in 2008 with my leica.

Argh - flickr keep moving the static links around and I seem to be losing images up thread.

which lens on the nikon in number 10? - is it an old style 35mm F2? My 35mm F1.4 certainly doesn't look like that on a D7000.

5 6 10 11 and 14 for me 14 has nice shadows from the pickets.

1 2 and 3 to much sky the horizon needs moving up to 2/3rds it would make 1 look very good, the sky and pier would echo each other.

7 needs less sky as well its just a bit to busy it detracts from the cliffs (not you Cliff).

Love 11.

Pete

advertisement

Back