advertisement

[CS] Cafe in Zagreb

JemHayward

pfm Member
As discussed in s separate thread, here is an image that I thought would be really good when I took it, but isn't too inspiring now I've got it on screen. Where did i go wrong and is it recoverable.

For those who haven't been keeping up [CS] has been suggested as "Critique Sought" - i.e. you can be rude and it won't start a flame war!

20140814-_DSF0428 by JemHayward, on Flickr

That was a tough one to get - your eye has a greater dynamic range than the camera does and will compensate as you focus on different parts of the view, so you saw somthing that looked quite different. The meter looks like it's exposed it for the bright scene and not for the bike. I guess that would really have needed a bit of flash to get the bike well exposed against the bright background if that's what you'd wanted.

Assume you have it in RAW, you could try pulling down the highlights quite a bit and up the shadows. Apply a graduated filter and perhaps pull up the exposure at the bottom of the picture a bit...

I can't make my mind if its the woman behind the counter the couple at the table or the bike is the subject.
How about cropping out the bike etc

Pete

Hi I would use levels to amend the areas. Like mentioned above I assume you use RAW / NEF and not jpeg
Dave

Just playing with your jpeg to try to get the bike.

15369822988_1117da0f31_z.jpg

Thanks for kicking the [CS] idea off!

My take - A tricky shot lighting wise, for sure (should have used flash ;-)). I imagine the dynamic between the couple was what drew you to take the photo. However, that's being upstaged by the bike and the woman peering across the counter. If the voyeur was the focus, perhaps a lower viewpoint, centering her between them would have emphasized that.

Brilliant advice folks... It is a raw file, so I can play about with it quite a lot. I'll wait until suggestions dry up, and then have a go at the file to produce a final version.

advertisement

Back