advertisement

Crossover bad?

x21

pfm Member
Hello All:

I am wondering what the symptoms of worn out capacitors are in a crossover. My Castle Harlechs are rather dark sounding with my Brio.

Regards:
x21

I'm wondering if I should send it off to get rebuilt or find a replacement. Thoughts?

I'm wondering if I should send it off to get rebuilt or find a replacement. Thoughts?

You only have to remove the 4 outer screws to get it out, and remove the 3 inner screws to take it apart. The only worry I know of, is if the voice coil is not self centering. I'd bet it is though.

Scroll down to near the bottom of this page to see what it should look like inside.

http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/C17_II.htm

Reactions: x21
Have you had the Harlechs for some time?

The reason I ask is that I recall them as being capable of sounding a bit OTT in the lower resisters if not sited carefully and/or if the room were easily excited.

IME, with QWTLs one has multiple sources of bass over a narrow range of very low frequencies, any one or more of which can become doubled or even trebled if the distance from two or more room boundaries happen to be the same.

What version Brio is it, btw?

Reactions: x21
You only have to remove the 4 outer screws to get it out, and remove the 3 inner screws to take it apart. The only worry I know of, is if the voice coil is not self centering. I'd bet it is though.

Scroll down to near the bottom of this page to see what it should look like inside.

http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/C17_II.htm
This post on AVforum may give a better idea of what to expect once the face plate is off. Paradigm used a version of this same tweeter with their own custom faceplate.

Have you had the Harlechs for some time?

The reason I ask is that I recall them as being capable of sounding a bit OTT in the lower resisters if not sited carefully and/or if the room were easily excited.

IME, with QWTLs one has multiple sources of bass over a narrow range of very low frequencies, any one or more of which can become doubled or even trebled if the distance from two or more room boundaries happen to be the same.

What version Brio is it, btw?
I've had them for about 10 years. It wasn't until I got a pair of castle knights that I realized how dark they sounded.

I have the brio(2017)

Also my old PSB Alpha B1s currently have a more exciting sound than the Harlechs.The harlechs tweeters still have more detail but are muffled next to any other speaker I have.

Last edited:
After some more time playing them I suspect the older castles just have a warmer sound. If I put a highpass filter on them it sounds more balanced. They seem to not bring the cymbals out like other speakers such as the Totem Hawks but the overall sound seems well put together.

advertisement

Back