advertisement

Crock of Gold. A few rounds with Shane MacGowan

I struggled through the first hour of it but found it very difficult to follow what Shane was saying, plus the style of it was a bit narking too. I just wanted to hear what he said rather than have all the dramatisation and cartoon stuff. Will have another go with the subtitles on. And I've lost count now the number of times I've seen the same 70s footage of him at gigs.

Must remember to have a look at this on iPlayer later. I saw The Pogues back in the mid-80s so it comes as little surprise that he hasn’t aged well given his stage set seemed to consist largely of drinking a full bottle of whiskey and smacking himself over the head with a beer tray.

@deebster after a few minutes I had to rewind and switch on the subtitles , I thought the first hour gave a great insight into the boy that would become the man that wrote some great songs.
I saw the original lineup of the Pogues in Kilburn National Ballroom in 88, it was a riot.

Reading Uni 1988 - completely off the wall, and a lot of fun as I remember it.

Life has, unsurprisingly, taken it's toll it seems.

Half an hour in and whilst interesting, it's too long.

An hour in and it's getting better!

Reading Uni 1988 - completely off the wall, and a lot of fun as I remember it.

35 yrs ago today, saw them at Hammy Palais on St Patricks Day 1986, right up there with best nights out ever (it's still just the 17th here on US west coast). As I recall, only once did I see the Spider Spacy beer tray routine, Sussex Uni in 1985.

Just googled the date; it would have been 19th Sept ‘85 I saw them at the Royal Court Liverpool. A really good gig.

Hammersmith palais 1985.

running a job, when all the site radios were tuned into capital radio, and the pogues singles were played a lot. the only people on site who liked them was the apprentice painter and myself. We bought tickets and i told him we would have to drink guiness all night long. he fell asleep on the floor when they were on stage, do not think he heard a single note. anyway a memorable night for the quality of the live set

Saw them support Elvis Costello at the Ulster Hall years ago, and thought they were shite - they only had 2 songs, a fast one where Spider hit himself with a tray, and a slow one where he didn't. I have a soft spot for Rum, Sodomy & The Lash, but that's about it. His cosying up to people not averse to justifying murder is a bit hard to take.

Saw them support Elvis Costello at the Ulster Hall years ago, and thought they were shite - they only had 2 songs, a fast one where Spider hit himself with a tray, and a slow one where he didn't. I have a soft spot for Rum, Sodomy & The Lash, but that's about it. His cosying up to people not averse to justifying murder is a bit hard to take.
Black and Tans or the Parachute Regiment?

Well, first many thanks to the op for the heads up. I really enjoyed that, it was a good film and I will watch it again. He looked absolutely terrified when he was with Adams, I wondered what he was seeing. The bit that just was utterly incongruous was Bono and Depp performing at his 60th God knows why it was in. I can only assume Temple got a few quid not to cut it.

advertisement

Back