advertisement

Criminal negligence: is it time to prosecute Putin, May, Trump Xi et al

Certainly *something* if only as a pointer to all those ignoring it.

There are plenty of arguments that green energy is a massive opportunity for those wanting to make a big pile.
Too hard to think about
:(

I imagine they won't do anything untill atleast 25% of the world population are dead, or it threatens their financial interests.

Obviously it would be impossible to prosecute those named, as there is no precedent nor legislation to my knowledge allowing prosecution for those who ignore the environment in any country on the planet. Winton uses his own country as an example, listing the crimes of deliberate ignorance which, when put together, are horrifying, given the timeline and the scale of the impact on one country, which is his primary focus.

He is a writer, known for his interest in the environment but not to the extent, nor with the anger the shows here, but do bear in mind I’m talking as someone who left quite a few years ago and haven’t particularly followed him, nor read his books, for a number of years Whatever, his last two paragraphs surprised, if not shocked me.

I quote them here, mostly because I’m beginning to agree with his view, and the whole extinction rebellion.

« It’s time to make sharp demands of our representatives, time to remove those who refuse to act in our common interest, time to elect people with courage, ingenuity and discipline, people who’ll sacrifice pride, privilege and even perks for the sake of something sacred. Because there’s something bigger at stake here than culture wars and the mediocrity of so-called common-sense. It’s the soil under our feet, the water we drink, the air we breathe.

Life. It’s worth the fight. But, by God, after decades of appeasement, defeatism and denialism, it’s going to take a fight. Time’s short. So, let’s give our grief and fury some shape and purpose and reclaim our future together. Enough cowardice. Enough bullshit. Time for action. »

Australia faces an election on May 19 this year. I’ve already registered to vote at the embassy in France, in a relatively safe constituency. I’ll vote green, but, if any candidate espouses the extinction rebellion, I’ll change my vote.

The next UK election may be close, both in when and any party ganing a majority. If that is the case, it would be great to see people standing for the biggest issue of all, rather than the brexit nonsense.

After that is the EU election. I’m beginning to think that may be as important, If necessary, I’ll stand either here or in the UK, assuming I’m eligible. Winton may be an impossible dreamer, but hopefully he as woken a few of us up.

It is impossible to prosecute anyone as the journalist well knows.
See first line, post above yours. He's talking about at the ballot box. Also, he is a writer, not a novelist.

A writer but not a novelist but not a journalist who writes about prosecuting politicians (or is that your interpretation?) - OK.

Certainly *something* if only as a pointer to all those ignoring it.

There are plenty of arguments that green energy is a massive opportunity for those wanting to make a big pile.
Too hard to think about
:(

Green energy?

Go to the capital and flog those protesting imbeciles some 5000+ labelled organic sunscreen for the impending catastrophe and melt down.

You will be buying a lot of hifi.

A writer but not a novelist but not a journalist who writes about prosecuting politicians (or is that your interpretation?) - OK.

Yup, hoist on me own petard :). I intended to say journalist, nevertheless, why did you copy the line I indicated? Seemed somewhat pointless. Also, note the words « ballot box ». a bit later.

Any comments on the actual article, no to mention the part I quoted?

As to the article, Aussie granny trying to teach the world how to suck eggs...

I mean do we not know about climate change or global warming or burning death or whatever it is called today?

Green energy?

Go to the capital and flog those protesting imbeciles some 5000+ labelled organic sunscreen for the impending catastrophe and melt down.

You will be buying a lot of hifi.
How to win friends and influence people to join the environment movement.

It’s a subtle game you play.

Prosecuting oil companies such as Exxon who knew about, and covered up, human-induced global warming for decades, might be easier.

What about prosecuting every car user, user of plastics ... users of fossil fuel (and others), all of us, who have known for some time that global warming, pollution etc etc will f*** us over eventually?

This constant shifting of blame to others without taking some personal responsibility and willingness to take painful and inconveniencing actions (not including sunnying yourself for a few days in London or separating your rubbish), is ironic to say the least and seems especially prevalent on this 'liberal' forum.

'Hypocritical' is a word that has come to mind repeatedly when reading some of the 'contributions' in the off-topic section.

Good on yer all :)

You haven't even bothered to read the original article have you, drummerman, nor any of the other threads regarding the environment.

Please do keep posting, though, you are doing so much good for the movement.

Or we could just prosecute them for mass murder, crimes against humanity, bribery, extortion, war crimes, lying under oath, misappropriation of funds, contravening international law or any of the other crimes which if you or I commit them would send us to jail for a long time but if they commit them "acting for the state" they get a knighthood or a few million in the off shore account...

That would guarantee our extinction. The point isn't the prosecution, it's electing a party like the Extinction Rebellion who will give their country a chink of hope, to borrow from Sean on the other thread. With hope comes progress.

advertisement

Back