advertisement

Crikey !

Lovely collection, Richard, but bear in mind that many are going to be mono. I have a hunch these are going to attract competition as there are going to be some (valuable) gems, though he does seem to have some idea if he picked out two!

Doesn't seem to be too many mono ones from those shown. 60-70's would imply not really much mono...

If I had the spare cash, I would definitely bid on this collection.

Jack

I'm a classical novice but I know that i will only like a small proportion of it. I would cherry pick what I like and the best labels and then could move it on. Providing a full listing and splitting it into say three job lots of x500 would possibly yield a small profit. There might be a few gems in there as well which on long term Buy It nows could bring about another extra few hundred quid. I will need a second deck to go through it though. I'm not scanning all those records on the Miyabi.

I've bought a couple of similar lots (not quite this big, but the biggest was about 1200 records or a little more). I'm not sure it's worth doing for profit, but by picking out what I wanted and selling on the rest as smaller job lots, I've acquired my current collection of probably 1000 LPs for about £150.

One thing I've learnt though is that looking at 'book value' or Ebay buy-it-now prices isn't much use, as there are enough cheap records around for people not to pay top prices for all but the rarest, most collectible, near mint records. So don't expect huge profits, but a good, cheap collection is a good aim.

Incidentally, when he says £200 for one record, it may be that he has a narrow-band edition of something worth £200 as a wide-band grooved issue...

Yep thanks for the tips. I'm not bothered about the profit bit really but if I can amass a batch of nice deccas, DG's, RCA red labels etc. at a small cost then i'll be more than happy.

You can still see those separately listed albums in his completed history; fwiw the £150 one he mentioned is currently also for sale on ebay for £10 with no bidders. ymmv.

hi mike

hod do you know they'll be mono .. is it the age ?

There are clearly some monos in the pic's, and I recognise some others as being so. I'm not a monaural record lover, not being a music historian or collector, but providing this little lot goes for an acceptable sum it's worth the punt.

For a classical novice, however, and even a classical lover, this lot is a bit of a mouthful to 'scan'.

Guess I'd want to play them to the best of their sonic ability, too, so wouldn't be tempted to buy in a surrogate deck, arm and cart. for this purpose. If it takes a decade to play them, they're unlikely to depreciate, I'd have thought.

There's nothing wrong with old mono pressings - some are really rather good. I've got a couple of Klemperer mono recordings (cost me around 1% of the blue-silver stereo equivalents, including postage). They're not the sharpest of recordings (possibly as much due to dirt/wear as original quality), but the tone and voicing is fantastic.

Any guesses on final bid? I'll bet it sees over £700.

Wonder if Tony is watching this :D

I just haven't the space at present to be honest. I bet there is some great stuff in there, but I'm well sorted for classical at present. I've actually got a few years worth boxed up in the cellar!

Tony.

I just haven't the space at present to be honest. I bet there is some great stuff in there, but I'm well sorted for classical at present. I've actually got a few years worth boxed up in the cellar!

Tony.

You don't want a big box of Elgar by any chance? I don't know how I came to have so much of a composer I never listen to, ever.

advertisement

Back