advertisement

Cricket - The Ashes 2019

I never understood why Bell was dropped... Root bats at 3 or he relinqueshes the captaincy in my book

England has a decent record when a belligerent, South African gobshite bats at 3.
Esp. with a thuggish all-rounder at 6.

Having Stokes, Curran and Woakes (and possibly Rashid) in the middle is more of that have a pile of kinda OK all rounders as a middle order. Have x batsmen and y bowlers.

And leave out Archer? Because it is unseemly? Because he has only just learnt how to shave? Why not play arguably your most natural and deadly bowler? Inexperienced? Well then give him some experience!

I accept Mr Thing’s arguments and on second thoughts think the team we see will be along the lines of

Burns
Roy
Vince
Root
Stokes
Bairstow
Woakes
Rashid
Broad
Archer
Anderson

...although if the selection were mine I would consider Buttler rather than Vince, with Root at 3.

Last edited:
Shame they didn't take the opportunity to bring in an established no 4, rather than just dropping Denly down the order. The bowling looks weak with Archer and Wood both crocked, Stokes might was well be shopping with his family, while there doesn't look to be much there for Mo at this stage.

Won’t be winning this test with Anderson out injured after bowling just 4 overs.

Very true. I did say 'should' though. I reckon the Aussies have let Me Duke get inside their heads today

This England line up has enough batting to win this match, but only if they remember to play Test cricket and not try to hit the Aussies out of the ground several times per over....

Excellent performance from Convict No.1 on stage one of his rehabilitation tour. Less so from Convict No.2 and No.3.

Not so much a great bowling performance. Lack of a killer instinct? Poor captaincy? No world class spin option?

England to be all out for less than 200 tomorrow.

(tempting fate - hoping to be proven wrong)

These are the margins in Test Match Cricket between two teams so closely matched you couldn't get a piece of sandpaper between them.

Great post, but perhaps now is the moment to let it go - the series won`t be improved by continual harping on about the past and I agree with Jim Maxwell, Steve Smith should not have been booed off the field after his stunning innings.

Great post, but perhaps now is the moment to let it go - the series won`t be improved by continual harping on about the past and I agree with Jim Maxwell, Steve Smith should not have been booed off the field after his stunning innings.
The Aussies still talk about the bodyline tour so your wish is unlikely to be granted. Warner also lamped Joe Root in a bar on their last ashes visit so they have form to say the least. Should be a great series

He shouldn’t have been on the field full stop...

The people who booed Smith off, they most certainly booed him on. For some he will always be a cheat unworthy of redemption. However, Some people who booed him on applauded him off. By all means give him pelters for what he’s done in the past, but I think it shows maturity to acknowledge a great innings delivered in hostile surroundings.

Reactions: MVJ

advertisement

Back