advertisement

Cricket 2022 - for all things cricket this year on PFM

Anyway hoping to make Lords for day two against SA with my two brothers- weather permitting should be a good day out.
Lords is always a good day out, unless you are in the Grandstand seats with a freezing gale trying to move you 2 rows further back.

I'm not a fan of the concrete and plastic refurbs that have spoilt the character of the old grounds - although some have been done more tastefully than others where they've had bigger budgets no doubt. This is a lovely book - there's something about sitting on a deck chair or just on the grass outside the boundary rope. Might be a bit dangerous today though!

51s85sIz4UL._SX394_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Ooh a page ago on this thread - all doom and gloom. Where is the optimistic England fan?!?

It's my theory that TMS is to blame as it's the home of the unreconstructed sceptical miserabilist. People don't like this but the Sky coverage has been massively better for many years.

I'm not a fan of the concrete and plastic refurbs that have spoilt the character of the old grounds - although some have been done more tastefully than others where they've had bigger budgets no doubt. This is a lovely book - there's something about sitting on a deck chair or just on the grass outside the boundary rope. Might be a bit dangerous today though!

51s85sIz4UL._SX394_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Wormsley near Stokenchurch, is my favourite
wormsley-park-038d588a-bc86-455a-90d0-f17353566f8-resize-750.jpeg

Ooh a page ago on this thread - all doom and gloom. Where is the optimistic England fan?!?

That would be an eleven year old who only started watching Test cricket this year and has not seen a traditional England batting collapse.

Usually a good couple of wins, or even one makes them cocksure and leads to disaster next game, I really hope that doesn`t happen this time, it ought to be relatively straightforward from here but statistics are a big part of cricket.....

I managed to avoid the score whilst I was at work yesterday so watching it on delay when I got home was a really nice surprise. I will be ball by balling it today on TMS though.

Went to Edgebaston for the first day, now nursing COVID, means I've seen a lot of this test match. I've never seen two English batsman play better than JR and JB phenomenal!

"That's ****ing ridiculous" says Bairstow on the stump mic.

Cricinfo now points out England are within one Stuart Broad over of victory.

Root is the best English player of all time surely?

Just shows how important attitude is.

So glad India are being beaten, they are a bunch of cheats.

There’s a few from that era with amazing averages on uncovered pitches but Root has been very consistent for a very long time. It’s probably easier to score runs now with the bats etc?

Well I think, at least in terms of batsmen, it's Root or Hutton and even then I would lean strongly to Root. Comparisons across eras are always difficult although on balance I think it's harder now.

I suppose a more interesting question is Root vs Botham as England's greatest ever. Where I tend to think of Root as our best cricketer but Botham as the greatest player, if you see what I mean.

Helmets and other protection, along with better bats, have really helped the batters in the modern game. Spinners almost never got leg before decisions in the past, unless dead straight plumb. That was probably an over-compensation from uncovered wickets that stayed in the game until DRS.

Well I think, at least in terms of batsmen, it's Root or Hutton and even then I would lean strongly to Root. Comparisons across eras are always difficult although on balance I think it's harder now.

I suppose a more interesting question is Root vs Botham as England's greatest ever. Where I tend to think of Root as our best cricketer but Botham as the greatest player, if you see what I mean.
I don’t think Botham is our best ever, he certainly could have been prior to back injury.

It’s an interesting debate though.

That would be an eleven year old who only started watching Test cricket this year and has not seen a traditional England batting collapse.

Usually a good couple of wins, or even one makes them cocksure and leads to disaster next game, I really hope that doesn`t happen this time, it ought to be relatively straightforward from here but statistics are a big part of cricket.....

Or a 56 yr old who saw us play since the mid 70’s, with all the highs and lows. There isn’t anything ‘traditional’ about a batting collapse. They don’t happen all the time. I get your point re statistics, but positive attitude counts for more imv. Ask Morgan, Baz or any of our teams…;)

"That's ****ing ridiculous" says Bairstow on the stump mic.

That’s a bit rich coming from him...

Jonny Bairstow’s last five innings: 136 (92), 162 (157), 71* (44), 106 (140), 114* (145)

589 runs from 578 balls at an average of 196

After these last few weeks, it might be a while before anyone wins a toss against England and says ‘We’ll have a bat...’

advertisement

Back