advertisement

Cricket 2021 - all things cricket for this year on pfm

Take him out, and you have a fragile batting line-up in terms of digging in.

Selective comments, really. One opener digs in. Stokes fireworks, but we’ve seen what he can do. This side is very competent. They are not to be underestimated.

Most, if not all the pundits suggest Root did very little wrong in this test. Best win ratio since our Mike. How fickle some England supporters are...

So glad I got up at 4am today. Went to bed early at 9.30 with full intention of waking up to watch it and it worked. No alarm clock needed.

Just wonderful to see all of that unfold the way it did today.

Roll on Saturday.

Root makes the occasional field position howler like only having one slip in when Archer was steaming in at 140 kph. That was obvious even to an occasional watcher like me.

Overall though he's been pretty successful, so don't rock the boat :)

TBH I was one who thought he didn't have that "thing" that makes a great captain but I'm glad to have been proven wrong. Some of his decisions and bowling changes recently have been inspired. Never mind the batting.

Chris Silverwood deserves a lot of credit. .

Not sure - you can bet, however, that the Indians know who the three keys to the English batting are, and will be working feverishly on ways to get them out. The opening partnership has yet to gel, as do most other batspersons besides Stokes and Buttler.

Root? Take him out, and you have a fragile batting line-up in terms of digging in. In Root you have a decent/good batsman - still not convinced by his captaincy, however.
He’s so much better than decent, he is one of the best batsmen we’ve ever produced. Take 3 quality players out of any side &, guess what, they are not as good.

TBH I was one who thought he didn't have that "thing" that makes a great captain but I'm glad to have been proven wrong. Some of his decisions and bowling changes recently have been inspired. Never mind the batting.

Chris Silverwood deserves a lot of credit. .
Chris Silverwood was a very underrated cricketer, very good bowler & rather rapid. This what happens when you have people from Yorkshire in charge;)

Captains since World War II with a better win percentage than Joe Root (min. 20 Tests)

Steve Waugh
Ricky Ponting
Kane Williamson
Virat Kohli

Captains since World War II with a better win percentage than Joe Root (min. 20 Tests)

Steve Waugh
Ricky Ponting
Kane Williamson
Virat Kohli

Sorry, can't resist - see this chart
Only Woodfall doesn't make the cut. Also, only Brearley who remains one of the top two in many people's books makes the cut, while others would rate Chapelli as being an all-time great.

I'm not being, I hope, too harsh on Root, but be aware his career is far from over, so he may end up being the best statistically, or may slip down a tad. I shouldn't have commented on his batting, I agree, but the mighty Viv is generally considered the one to beat.

Viv 50 tests 50% win
Joe 47 tests 55.32% win
Suggests Joe is a better captain, especially considering the bowling attack Viv had at his disposal

Anybody can be criticised, anyone can make a mistake. Good to know that the commentators don't understand cricket either.
I believe they knew exactly what they were doing in delaying the declaration, knowing they only wanted about 12 overs in the final session and almost exactly when the ball would reverse on the final day.

Viv 50 tests 50% win
Joe 47 tests 55.32% win
Suggests Joe is a better captain, especially considering the bowling attack Viv had at his disposal
I was talking about batting, not captaincy :)

Viv was imperious in his batting. Root himself would never claim to be that, undoubtedly talented though he is.

Had India drawn, which looked a possibility before Anderson came on, Root would be facing a lot of stick just now - I'm glad he's not. It's funny how quickly we forget all the painful capitulations under his leadership too. Let's not forget either that for a long time the captaincy was dragging his batting down. Take out his recent runs and the side looks very patchy.

advertisement

Back