advertisement

Cricket 2021 - all things cricket for this year on pfm

My other half keeps saying Vaughan is the new Boycott, but at least Boycott was fairly consistent in his Yorkshire moaning. Vaughan wants it both ways - putting down Agnew for rightly criticising the ECB for ruining the County season, then dissing the English batsmen for not being prepared for long Test innings. Two or three-faced.

A lot of what Vaughan says and writes is purely to provoke a reaction, I think, when Boycott said something he meant it.

Vaughan is absolutely terrible, no insight & very self serving. I am ashamed he lives in Sheffield, utter twat & a fake Yorkshireman.

Boycott loves cricket & is very insightful.

England need to show that they're capable of a rearguard batting performance - examples have been few and far between under Root

The more I watch cricket the less I believe that winning is all that matters. As long as the match is interesting I don't seem to mind too much. Pretty Zen for a sport.

I've always felt the the ability to bat long for a draw is critical...

I've always felt the the ability to bat long for a draw is critical...

Ha I wouldn't put it quite like that. But the manner in which the match is played (which is why I strongly dislike sledging and like positive batting); and the balance between the sides matters more to me than the final result. Don't mind winning now and then though :)
Somehow different from rugby at national level for example.

Dead men walking now - I think I called it right 24hrs ago. Root overbowled the quicks too, potentially compromising the final test. Anderson and Robinson are off the pitch after tea and Woakes looks spent. A very poor day for Root - yet again - he must bowl the spinners but he never learns. The pitch is not a good one for sure.

There are plenty of quick bowlers, they are professional sports people, they should be able to keep up with what is required, just like in the old days, you don't see tennis players taking a week off and they are playing at full pace a lot longer than bowlers.

Root is not the only one that decides how the team will be selected and how the game is played, so he is not the only person to blame, maybe some better coaches for all areas of the team.

England basically have lost this match due to poor slip, other fielding issues and rubbish batting by the openers.

There are plenty of quick bowlers, they are professional sports people, they should be able to keep up with what is required, just like in the old days, you don't see tennis players taking a week off and they are playing at full pace a lot longer than bowlers.

Root is not the only one that decides how the team will be selected and how the game is played, so he is not the only person to blame, maybe some better coaches for all areas of the team.

England basically have lost this match due to poor slip, other fielding issues and rubbish batting by the openers.

Root won't be overruled on onfield decisions. He has to remember the brutal scheduling of the games, they used to be a fortnight apart bitd, that's a big difference. In baseball the pitchers are looked after - total pitch count and starting only on a five day rotation, for example, it's a lot more professional. Root seems to have ruined Archer already.

If Stokes was playing there would be a reasonable chance. It looks a stretch even if Root gets a century.

Not so in the 2nd innings...so far. If they put on another 50-70 with no loss...

If Stokes was playing there would be a reasonable chance. It looks a stretch even if Root gets a century.

See above. Stokes didn't always come to the party. Our batting will need to step up, but records are made to be broken... Lose no more than 2 wickets a session, and I'll be watching the evening session with interest.

It’s test cricket, it’s not meant to be easy. All results are possible but India are favourites. I do dislike Kohli, hope England cause him a few problems tomorrow.

Root should bowl himself a bit more as he quite often gets a wicket ,coming on in short spells to try and pinch a wicket . I am thinking the best we can now hope for is a draw if we can bat well and consistantly for a change with ALL players making a contribution

advertisement

Back