advertisement

Creek CAS 4040 vs A&R Cambridge A60.

Before 2008, I had the Creek CAS4040 (original DIN input version) and A & R Cambridge A60 at different times, both bought second hand. I paired the Creek with Goodman Maxim II speakers and Rega Planar 3 turntable, I did not rate the overall sound very high because I found the sound a bit shut in and lack of dynamic.

A few years later, I bought the A & R Cambridge A60 which I liked a lot. It sounds clear and more dynamic. The A60 just does everything right.

Can't remember the retail price but my fave was the Nad 3150. Much better than the 3020 series.
I once landed a 3240PE for nowt, as the CD input was shorted on one channel by a massive blob of solder. Yes, QC was a bit spotty in the Taiwan factory back then, but that amp could throw a party like it was 1999! Anyway, a quick re-solder and the NAD was better than new...apparently. I eventually passed it along to a friend who had had his hi-fi and other valuables stolen and AFAIK he still uses it. Come to think of it, I must have felt really bad for him, as he also ended up with my Mission 774SM/Helius Aurum/MP11 Boron; the big puppy-eyed bastard.

I did not rate the overall sound very high because I found the sound a bit shut in and lack of dynamic.

Hmm, that's the opposite of how I would describe the sound of my CAS4040 S2 through Wharfedale Diamonds. Mine delivers a really punchy sound with bags of energy.

Me neither, we should form a club and take turns alternating between the roles of president and treasurer!

Interesting story: mine was a Mk1 Aurum (often erroroneously referred to as Helius Gold) which, according to the seller, had come dealer fitted to the 775SM. The seller owed me an outstanding balance of $200 for recovering his computer data and asked if I'd like his old Mission turntable instead*. Having sold Mission for a while post uni, I knew the deck well and agreed (I already had a 775S/774 imp). I ended up having to rebuild the tonearm due to a combination of poor bearing design and the ravages of seasonal temperature changes. Anyway, long story short, I have a soft spot for people in need and gave it to my old friend after his system was nicked - ironically, he is now worth well north of $100 million and I have yet to receive the first bairn that he promised when I gave him the deck (hence the 'big puppy-eyed bastard' above).

* As an aside, the bottom had truly fallen out of the used turntable market by then, with used Sondek Valhallas often going for less than $500. over here.

Seems there could have been a potential club secretary over here in Canada...

330122-helius__aureus__tonearm.jpg

Hmm, that's the opposite of how I would describe the sound of my CAS4040 S2 through Wharfedale Diamonds. Mine delivers a really punchy sound with bags of energy.
Same with my unserviced S2 into Rega Kytes. Actually, it was your recent postings in the other thread that had me pulling my old Creek out again after a few years of it collecting dust. I've long wanted the matching T40 tuner which I understand is meant to be very good.

Hi there,

A friend of mine bought an A60 brand new back in the day and as far as I can remember it was lovely (early 80's)
I bought my first amp when I left school in 1985 a Creek 4040 and it was awesome, the first version of I think, using with Rega Planar 3 and Akroyd Conistons it sounded fantastic as I remember and if I had to sell everything I could go back to one tomorrow no problem, a bargain then and still more so today I think.

Good luck

[QUOTE="Craig B, I've long wanted the matching T40 tuner which I understand is meant to be very good.[/QUOTE]

I am currently using a T40 in my 2nd system, where it only loses out to my Meridian 504 because it has to be manually tuned.

Regards

Mike Kelshaw

advertisement

Back