Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Crap Christmas presents that bring joy

Discussion in 'off topic' started by GruntPuppy, Nov 24, 2021 at 12:03 PM.

1. GruntPuppy

GruntPuppy pfm Member

I'm lucky in that the people who buy me presents are smart enough to give me what I want (more particularly need) rather than what they think I should have...

So my Crap presents of joy this year are:

[​IMG]
    an 80kg capacity collapsible sack truck so I can use my old depsack to fetch shopping from the nearby supermarkets with much reduced difficulty, and a pair of new patrol boots, because I've worn the last pair out walking the hellhound and the ankle support from a boot is rather useful.

What wierd crap are you dudes asking for this year (I should warn, I've taken to using bronouns, which are non-denominational; several of my younger friends are trans, and it saves me having to remember who's what, especially useful when the brain fog hits!)

2. AudioAl

AudioAl pfm Member

No in-laws is my favourite :D

RJohan, Cheese, H20GNA and 2 others like this.
  3. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

We don't ask for anything - neither of us particularly like Xmas, and we don't see it as an excuse for gift buying. We buy gifts for each other throughout the year.

we do have a recent tradition (5 years now) of acquiring (one per year) a beautiful hand blown glass bauble from glass makers we carefully research. This year it'll be Bristol Blue Glass.

hifilover1979, Nero and GruntPuppy like this.
  4. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

Nowt.
    We traditionally bought a few days away to see some opera in Europe as a treat but the last two years shit show has put a temporary end to it.
    Neither of us need any more “things”.
    We spend the money on the grown up kids.

-alan- likes this.
  5. GruntPuppy

GruntPuppy pfm Member

That actually sounds rather lovely. Do you put these on a tree?

6. gintonic

no tree due to the destructor brothers

[​IMG]20211124_085824 by uh_simon, on Flickr

we do have them hanging in various places around the house.

We started when we were gifted one by the Swan in Southwold when we stayed over Xmas

MJS likes this.
  7. GruntPuppy

GruntPuppy pfm Member

I have to admit, I'm tempted to start myself off in Lego investing - I'm thinking if I can buy one decent set a month with the plan of selling off after a year or two, hopefully it will bear fruit.

Jimin and hifilover1979 like this.
  8. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

Gives you something to play with when everyone else is watching the Queen too.

Darren likes this.
  9. gintonic

only if you buy two of each.

10. GruntPuppy

GruntPuppy pfm Member

you mean it would give me a box to stare at, wistfully? As christmas presents to self, boxes that are never going to be opened are bit sucky - but it's the thought of having a side hobby that will build up to make steady money appeals.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021 at 5:28 PM
  11. gintonic

it won't if you open the boxes

12. Amormusic

Amormusic pfm Member

I live in Bristol. They used to (and probably still do) open days where you can see and help to make your own blown glass items. You should get your Christmas bauble, but by your own hands.

A great and fun day. Plus Bristol is awesome

chiily and GruntPuppy like this.
  13. gintonic

we know, half of the team my Mrs manages is in Bristol. We spend alot of time there

14. Big Tabs

Big Tabs looking backwards, going forwards

Specifically asked for nothing again as per usual.

The Wife might see some handmade jewellery that she likes, or have something made, which I will end up paying for.

Tarzan and GruntPuppy like this.
  15. hifilover1979

hifilover1979 Bigger than you...

My wife gets me Lego every year :D I've a bit too much though now and TBH it's done nothing but gather dust in the loft this year...

16. hifilover1979

hifilover1979 Bigger than you...

We love Christmas; but don't really 'do' gifts between us TBH. She does sometimes get me Lego (as mentioned above) and I'll pick her some jewellery up etc (I've been getting her Tiffany stuff for a while now)

But this year we've said no gifts as my business has had a shit year and there's no need to spend the £££ TBH

But we are getting each other 'interesting pickles & condiments' as stocking fillers ;) :D

GruntPuppy likes this.
  17. gintonic

make some

18. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke

We both need new walking boots, so that’s what we’ll be getting each other this year.

boon and Tarzan like this.
  19. GruntPuppy

GruntPuppy pfm Member

Hopefully things will pick up soon - i rather like the idea of interesting pickles and condiments as a stocking filler, and am put in mind of the flavoured cheeses that Morrisons are selling too - a christmas cake Wensleydale springs to mind immediately as something I might buy as a little extra present for one of my parents.

hifilover1979 likes this.
  20. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

We have a just giving page for Xmas presents.