advertisement

Covid Temperature Tests

Minio

Kind of Sort of Not really...
I am a bit puzzled.

We've just been to the local surgery to have OH's dressing changed after her hip operation.
We had to wait outside in the sun for a temperature test. On testing my wife, the nurse said she could not be allowed in to the surgery as her temperature was the highest the nurse had ever seen.

On the way home, purchased a thermometer and went home to sit in the shade. Measured both our temperatures and both are normal at 36°C.

We have to go through the same thing again tomorrow and try and gain access to the surgery for dressing change and check, in similar heat with the wife not at her most mobile right now.

It's a bit mind boggling. Strange days indeed.

I have the same problem as I naturally have a slightly high skin temperature.
Its 40C in the daytime in KL so going over 37.5 on a badly calibrated scanner is very easy

A) Was it a trained Nurse?

B) If they didn't stick something in you ear or your mouth, then I would question the accuracy.

At Marco Polo Venice airport departures last week there was a queue labelled temperature check at the entrance. Sign said no entry if over 37 degrees.
People were being profiled though.
EU (including UK) passports were waived through.
Anyone else had the pointy at the head gizmo used on them.

A) Was it a trained Nurse?

B) If they didn't stick something in you ear or your mouth, then I would question the accuracy.
She was not a nurse (her words) but she did work there. She also had a new hip and could do a knees up Mother Brown to prove how well she had recovered.
A thermometer was inserted into OH's ear, so presumably a valid measure of temperature at that moment.

Will try again tomorrow with a different strategy.
Pre cool the car with air conditioning on lowest temperature.
Drive to surgery with air conditioning on lowest temperature.
Park at surgery and wait in the car for the nurse, that isn't a nurse, with air conditioning on lowest temperature.
Fingers crossed!

The measurement is clearly innaccurate.... the body's thermo-regulation should sort most folk out regardless I've always beleived

My friend had the same thing happen when he dropped his daughter at daycare in 30+c heat with no aircon.

She was banned from daycare for two weeks with no refund ($1400/mo).

We have checks before anyone can go into work, seems a bit pointless as so many people can be asymptomatic. We have had 6 cases in a workforce of around 500, half of who are working from home so that's around 2.4% of in-plant staff. Since some estimates say those infected can by almost 10x confirmed cases, that could be close to 25% of the workforce that have had Covid. Perhaps herd immunity isn't out of the question? (OK a bit of optimism plus fuzzy math :))

I don't really see a problem with the temperature guns. There seem to be problems using them in hot weather (though conversely they seem to be widely used in much warmer South East Asian countries) but as we head into winter I'd love to see them become standard for people entering the workplace. Even if they only catch a fraction of cases it all helps.

I noticed Amazon is full of £8 iffy looking units - makes me wonder if some of the reported problems are down to cheap unreliable guns?

There are a lot of fakes with random reading displays on the usual online sites.
Even these remind people to adjust their behaviour.

advertisement

Back