advertisement

Cover Versions

Led Zep first album had a few covers....even Dazed and Confused had been done before by John Holmes (who wrote it).

The YouTube lists this as the Smiffs but it is clearly a lovely version by Scott Matthews.

I was convinced that I had posted this before, but I can't find it, and if I have, NO apologies, whatsoever, for posting again.

ANYTHING by the Pork Tornadoes. Perhaps my favourites, maybe -

Led Zep first album had a few covers....even Dazed and Confused had been done before by John Holmes (who wrote it).

Versions. Far too 'after the fact' in the case of songs by folk like Willie Dixon, Anne Breedon et.al, to count as 'covers'.

Mullardman,
Covers in the sense that they were not originals...they were as much as a cover as Hendix 'All Along the Watchtower' was a 'cover' of Dylans original. Reinvention may have been a better word. Although 'Dazed and Confused' is not too far from Jake (not John) Holmes psychedelic trippy original.

The Bongos - Mambo Sun

A song written by Marc Bolan and released on the T.Rex album "Electric Warrior" in 1971.
Wonderful cover by The Bongos from Hoboken/New Jersey, originally released as a B-side to their single "In the Congo" on Fetish Records in 1981.

The corect answer is Shelby Lynne's version of 'I don't want hear it anymore'. It is one of the finest vocal performances of all time. She also covers a number of Dusty Springfield numbers (Just a little lovin') on the album & surpasses them. I will post a link shortly

James Luther Dickinson - John Brown

From Jim Dickinson's 1972 debut album "Dixie Fried", released on Atlantic.
A song by Bob Dylan, originally released on the 1963 compilation "Broadside Ballads Vol. 1" under the pseudonym Blind Boy Grunt.
Mind-blowing performance by Jim Dickinson of this classic Bob Dylan anti-war tune; might be very close to the way Bob Dylan himself would handle the song these days.

Spanky Wilson - Light My Fire

Soul and funk singer from Pennsylvania doing a cover of a song from The Doors' debut album.
"Light My Fire" is the opening track of the B-side of her second album "Doin' It", released in 1969 on the Mothers Records & The Snarf Company label, established by Jay Ward.

Johnny Cash's American 3 has several belters that I prefer to the originals:

Solitary Man
Mercy Seat
I See a Darkness
One

Some of the best are those that do something different with the song; I always thought Nazareth were great at this, with tunes like Joni Mitchell's 'This Flight Tonight', and others .....

I think Transatlantic's remake of Procul Harum's 'In Held 'Twas I' is tremendous, and their take on Salty Dog is no slouch, either.

It was more than 20 years before I realised that 'This Flight Tonight' was a cover version....

advertisement

Back