advertisement

Country

Kit Taylor

I love a bit of telecaster twang, spacey lap/pedal steel, mellifluous vocal harmony, unabashed emotional expression, a lilting groove and cavernously reverberant production.

Not keen on uniform textures, predictable arrangements and song structures, leaden rhythmns, polished stodginess or repellent rickety "authenticity."

The best stuff seems to happen when country meets rock and folk-rock, and surely every home must own

The Grateful Dead - American Beauty
Ron Elliot - The Candlestick Maker
The Flatlanders - Wheels of Fortune

Any suggestions?

TIA

Always been partial to a bit of Lynyrd Skynyrd/AllmanBrothers Band/Outlaws style country/rock/blues, myself...do they count?

Lynyrd Skynyrd are excellent but not really country I would suggest! heard a track by someone called chris knight the other evening on the bob harris show - never heard oif him but the track was excellent. must look out for an album by him.

Darren

Little Feat...Waiting For Columbus, you will not be disappointed - LP is best as CD has a few tracks missing.

Mark

"Dixie Chicken" is another fine Little Feat recording, in fact most of theirs were good ("Time Loves A Hero" is probably my least favourite), whilst Lowell George was around.
I haven't heard much of what they've done since and couldn't possibly comment on the bootlegs, of course...
My "Waiting..." is on vinyl, but thanks for giving me another good reason to stick with LPs for a bit longer.:D
I've heard a few tracks from Johnny Cash's American Recordings: they deserve further investigation, but so does so much else!

Do female singers count? Preumably the kind of stuff you don't like i.e. Alison Krauss, Mary-Chapin Carpenter, Nanci Griffith, Kim Rogers.

Paul

Another recommendation for Nanci Griffith and Alison Krauss. Also Emmylou Harris is another excellent female artist to try.

Since I own all the Johnny Cash American recordings, these in my view are essential and if you can hunt around for the Unearthed box set - it appears on sale in a few places recently - then even better.

Jimmy Dale Gilmore, Flatlanders member.
Tift Merrit, a good female artist with a Jayhawks-like sound.
Uncle Tupelo's two first rocking albums and their last more laidback Anodyne.

Hi Kit,

For some real country fusion twang, you need to check out the Hellecasters such as "Return of the Hellecasters" or "Hell 3: New Axes to Grind". Telecasters have never sounded so good.

Also try some Dixie Dregs: "Freefall", "Night of the Living Dregs" or "What if "should suffice.

A couple of other albums that should hit the spot - Nashville Guitars and Tony Emmanuel's The Journey

Might also be worthwhile having a listen to Colonel Bruce Hampton and the Aquarium Rescue Unit.

Cheers

Dave

advertisement

Back