Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Couldn't agree more..

Discussion in 'off topic' started by robs, Oct 20, 2021.

1. robs

robs should know how this works by no

2. Marchbanks

Marchbanks Hat and Beard member

Advertising is a problem for me. I loathe the whole idea of persuading folk to buy stuff they don't need with a passion and only use it personally in a negative sense (ie refuse to buy any product whose advertising offends me, morally or intellectually.) At the same time I realise this website and much more that I enjoy besides wouldn't exist without it. A pact with the Devil.

robs likes this.
  3. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

Yes i phone 13 , then 14 etc etc....it's like a hamster wheel

myles and andrewd like this.
  4. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

That said ...pfm classifieds is an addiction!!

twotone, julifriend, Snufkin and 2 others like this.
  5. Cheese

Cheese Bitter lover

Quite. Including the Guardian.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2021
    richardg likes this.
  6. Bananahead

Bananahead pfm Member

And yet, every other thread here seems to be from someone asking for buying advice.

Cheese likes this.
  7. richardg

richardg Admonishtrator

Also getting stuff so cheap on Amazon deals that there is no income for retailers.

8. richardg

richardg Admonishtrator

I'm fairly sure the Brits are much worse than most other Europeans. Living in France, most homes I visit seem to have kitchens and bathrooms at least 20 years old. It's the opposite in UK.

9. Bart

Bart pfm Member

Generally I only buy stuff I really need, (though I do have a weakness for turntables and check shirts), or think I will get a lot of enjoyment from and a lot of my purchases are second hand. I try to sell anything I no longer use or enjoy or give it to charity shops. My wife is about as opposite as you could get to this and we are continually trying to convert each other. Such is life.

10. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

We have a whole economy based on consumer spending. If we stop buying stuff our economy would grind to a halt.

If we are serious about stopping buying stuff, especially all the tat we don’t want, don’t need, and just ends up in a drawer full of other tat, we should ban Christmas

Snufkin likes this.
  11. flutteringwow

flutteringwow I am a sound quality evaluation device

I agree with this, its why a large portion of eBay sellers of cheap tat are China based, they invaded our e-commerce market heavily because it's so profitable, and pretty much tax free to them. With a subsidised postal system funded in part by the UK taxpayer, sending a package from China and it being delivered by Royal Mail in the UK, is CHEAPER than sending a package to your neighbour through Royal Mail in the UK. Go figure.

12. slavedata

slavedata pfm Member

Can we please constrain Christmas to December. The way the govt goes on you would think spending a fortune on Christmas tat to keep retailers afloat is a patrotic duty.

narabdela and ks.234 like this.
  13. Bananahead

Bananahead pfm Member

And we are using a site that is based on consumer spending...

Tony Lockhart and RJohan like this.
  14. richardg

richardg Admonishtrator

Exactly. When will the international postal agreement come to and end? It's crazy. Aliexpress will be crocked when it does.

15. Heckyman

Heckyman pfm Member

Regarding the linked article, one of the first rules of advertising is that you don't waste money advertising a "product" with zero appeal. Advertising can only "push" existing demand. So no good, for example, the government sponsoring an ad campaign for people to go on foreign holidays less. Governments have to make those holidays prohibitively expensive, in line with the true costs to the environment. But since we live in a democracy, that's most unlikely to happen anytime soon.

16. flutteringwow

flutteringwow I am a sound quality evaluation device

Do you think it ever will? Half of China would become unemployed, so I imagine their government might create a new state subsidised programme to ensure they can dominate oversea's markets and keep their citizens in jobs. It would be nice if it did happen though, would even the playing field a huge deal.

eBay UK's new 'China focus' selling programme is massively concerning for UK based eBay sellers.

17. Snufkin

Snufkin pfm Member

Brilliant, you get PFM's Grinch award for October.
    [​IMG]

18. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

Stop buying stuff….except at Christmas….and birthdays…

Snufkin likes this.
  19. richardg

richardg Admonishtrator

I don't see retailers campaigning / complaining about it. Until then uk.gov will not do anything.