advertisement

Cost of vinyl

That's always gone for a lot of dosh. The surprising thing for me is the value of late 90s/2000s vinyl...look at median sale prices on Discogs e.g. Richard Hawley/Coles Corner £150; Oasis/What's The Story Morning Glory £85; The Fall/Imperial Wax Solvent £80. That's the wife's car through it's MOT - errr not!

My wife had a copy of a High Numbers single (The Who before they were The Who). She saw one sell for £700, so she put it on ebay. It had a 2" split and still went for £200!

A record is worth what a buyer will pay!

Exactly , I am also rebuilding my vinyl collection most have been under 20 pounds however have paid 60 pounds for Via Con Daos ( new ) and recently 40 pounds for a new copy of Quincy Jones The Dude .
Been after Kate Bush Red Shoes for a while and found a copy at 350 pounds. I wont pay that for any record.
Any way Red Shoes is coming back out on Vinyl gave the record company a e-mail they wrote it is coming but no official date yet.

Top selling albums from yester year will always come back out as the vinyl market has doubled in the first six months of 2015 compared to the whole of 2014.

Personally I cant purchase vinyl albums unless I can hear them first as I hate to hear loud smack crackle pop. Use cleaning machine for my vinyl however a used vinyl not looked after will never get rid of the noise even if it looks good.

A record is worth what a buyer will pay!

Agreed. Most of my vinyl collection consists of either new pressings, bought around the £20 mark, or eBay bargains. I enjoy buying and sifting through collections, pulling out what i want and selling the rest off, usually covering my costs in the process.

I've even had a couple of new pressings for very little money. Jake Bugg's 2013 album 'Shangri La' can be had new for under a tenner, as can Queen's 'Rock You From Rio'. Both excellent pressings too.

That said I have purchased a couple of more expensive vinyls. The most recent was a hot topic exclusive pressing of Paramore's 'Brand New Eyes', which was a limited run from 2014. Sadly I had to purchase it on eBay for a massively inflated price from a seller who bought a load purely to make a huge profit. That cost me around £60 when all was said and done.

I would really love to find a copy of Queen's 'Made in Heaven' for a reasonable price. Sadly they sell for around £200, and i just can't bring myself to justify it, despite it being quite possibly my favourite album of all time. I'd also love to own Rock Montreal on vinyl. Maybe one day.

I am certain that record will never see a record player and will go in a vault as its interest is greater then savings accounts.

that or bought by some silicon valley billionaire to use as a frisbee down on Monterey Bay Casual Fridays

No more bonkers than anything else. Look at postage stamps, old cigar buts that were smoked by Churchill or Castro, not to mention contemporary art.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Very interesting, I hadn't spotted that. I know they previously offered a set including, I believe, 14 albums but that was back in 1985. They show up used occasionally for ridiculous money.

There are also a few 40th anniversary box sets, supposedly 'limited edition' although they've been available for ages. Those are CD sets though, 10 discs in each. They're fairly cheap though so a great way to build a collection from scratch. The only current vinyl box set I know of is the 'Queen For Ever' set, a 4 LP set that retails for £75.

I'd like to see them bring out a complete set of Queen's albums, including the live stuff, as well as Freddie's solo works. There is a freddie box set, but they're rare and mint ones cost more than my entire collection.

I would really love to find a copy of Queen's 'Made in Heaven' for a reasonable price. Sadly they sell for around £200, and i just can't bring myself to justify it, despite it being quite possibly my favourite album of all time. I'd also love to own Rock Montreal on vinyl. Maybe one day.

Hey, I've got that album on vinyl - its a limited edition white vinyl version. Never knew it'd be worth that much though..

I am certain that record will never see a record player and will go in a vault as its interest is greater then savings accounts.

that or bought by some silicon valley billionaire to use as a frisbee down on Monterey Bay Casual Fridays

Will it go into the Hatton Garden safety deposit boxes? The alleged perpetrators of the recent theft would have been of the correct age to appreciate record too.

the wife ordered me the Paul Buchanan MID AIR album on lp for Christmas at 32.00 gbp
the order was accepted, two weeks before Xmas they came back and said they didn't have it at that price anymore but she could have it at 98 Quid. I don't know the actual vendor but it was via Amazon. She declined and for once I totally agree with her.

Surely they're under a legal obligation to supply you the item at the original order price if the item is still available (which it clearly was)?

advertisement

Back