advertisement

Cost of glasses

Do current varifocals blur peripheral vision? I tried some about 20 years ago, and had to return them for bifocals. As my daily transport was a motorbike they would have killed me!
I have new lenses in my eyes now, so only need reading glasses.

That depends on the quality of the lens.
Although there has been a general improvement since your last try, you can choose between standard, with a relatively centre based effectiveness with some distortion on the periphery or extra-wide, for want of the proper term, which has a far wider field of prescription effectiveness and less peripheral "blur".

I'm -6.75 and -8.0 and had no problems with the online reglaze company I've used. Last pair of lenses were a couple of years ago and using a discount code came in at £112 for ultra thin with tints.

Also no problem with online glazers (who will also re-glaze old frames if you want, not all high street outlets will do that) although I generally only use them for 'spare' or sunglasses.

You will need a copy of your prescription, including pupillary distance (or whatever it's called) - not all are forthcoming with that.
I got mine after my last (free) eye test but already had the pupil bit from previous pair anyway.

FWIW have had some poor experiences with SS in the past so generally go to Boots now (who are exemplary if slightly dearer)

Last edited:
FWIW have had some poor experiences with SS in the past so generally got to Boots now (who are exemplary if slightly dearer)

I went off Specsavers over covid. When I made an appointment online I had to fill in a long questionnaire telling them my inside leg measurement, my grandmothers date of birth etc etc. When I rocked up to the shop they didn't have any of my details because "that only goes to head office" and they'd double-booked the appointment so I'd have a long wait. The shop was crammed with not a mask in sight so I gave up.

Verifocal here you wouldn’t know looking at them, lenses were 380 frames 330

it’s a scam fer sher

I've just retired and one of the perks of the job I've left was subsidised eyecare. So I've never paid anywhere near full price for glasses. Went to the optician today and was taken aback at £500 some thin light varifocals. Is that the going rate?

That's what I paid for my varifocals with the thinnest lens option a few months back.

A year ago, finding that plastic lenses, or maybe their coating, had improved no end since I last had plastic lenses 40 odd years ago, I bought the thinnest varifocals in £85 frames for £250 (Specsavers). Previously, I needed high index glass to cope with the bottle tops my eyesight would otherwise have needed.
These were a lot more than the plastic versions with which I'm quite happy; considerably lighter, for a start and I can now have larger lenses/frames.

O.p., not sure why you find your situation a challenge, as for me, wearing glasses for nearly 80 years, things have only got better and cheaper. Specsavers' annual eye test is without criticism; constantly innovative and accurate.

I've just retired and one of the perks of the job I've left was subsidised eyecare. So I've never paid anywhere near full price for glasses. Went to the optician today and was taken aback at £500 some thin light varifocals. Is that the going rate?

I'm not averse to paying it, just curious.
Cost of glasses ,you want to see how much these
wine buffs pay for their Zalto or Riedel.

I'm not averse to paying it, just curious.

yes paid 400 for a pair recently , designer frames with zeiss driving lenses and that thing that adjusts to light :D

that thing that adjusts to light :D

As a nipper I would gaze at the Reactolite Rapide ad in the opticians, in awe of the hip looking dude with his glamorous partner and their magically tinted specs.

I compared rather unfavourably in my NHS bins...

JdnkIjv.png

High refractive index verifocal (thin) lenses are expensive. A pair of specs with these pre-covid started at £400. £500 is not surprising. Those with simpler prescriptions won’t have come across these thin lenses as their lenses will probably be thin anyway. Breadth of vision is also improved with the better lenses.

I spend quite a bit of time get the transition points right for my uses - how successful is this with online lens companies. Is should be possible to get it right but I reckon is needs a good dispensing optician to get it right…if you are as picky as I am.

Highly refractive index varifocal (thin) lenses are expensive.

What are 'highly refractive? My varifocals were thinned to the ultimate Specsavers' category and had the more expensive coating. Cost around £250 a year ago with frames.

What are 'highly refractive? My varifocals were thinned to the ultimate Specsavers' category and had the more expensive coating. Cost around £250 a year ago with frames.
It’s a property of the glass or plastic which results in lenses being thinner than standard refractive index. There are a range of refractivities available the more extreme lenses get to be expensive.

https://www.glassesdirect.co.uk/pre... mid-index lens of,will be around 42% thinner.

https://www.downtownvisionnv.com/blog/the-refractive-index-explained#:~:text=The higher the number on,to achieve a desired effect.

I’m not sure what you mean by your lenses were thinned….do you mean the edges were ground down?

That's one massive benefit of developing cataracts in myopic eyes. The replacement lens can fix distance vision as well as astigmatism.

indeed - did with my mum - I'd never seen her without glasses in my 57 years - and she couldn't remember not being without them, having started wearing them at the age of 4 and had her cataracts done at the age of 81.

advertisement

Back