advertisement

Cost of glasses

raysablade

pfm Member
I've just retired and one of the perks of the job I've left was subsidised eyecare. So I've never paid anywhere near full price for glasses. Went to the optician today and was taken aback at £500 some thin light varifocals. Is that the going rate?

I'm not averse to paying it, just curious.

I bought my specs from Vision Express and they’re branded tortoiseshell frames with the thinnest transitioning varifocals. About £500.

Depends on your prescription and how much you're prepared to pay for high index plastic and special coatings.

I was spending £400 at specsavers many years ago for -8.5 with astigmatism correction and not varifocal in glass over 15 years ago. My most recent British purchase was £600 for varifocals with high index plastic and all the coatings 10 years ago.

This time I took a holiday to Malaysia and got varifocals, high index with all the frills and a designer frame for £500.

Not taking these options gives me a pair of "jam jar bottoms" to stick on my face.

The flight actually only cost £600 and I suspect it may have paid for itself, but I also got a rather good holiday!

Definitely get the UK eye test though! Mine's free due to the extremity of my sight correction but would also be free due to my grand mother and mother suffering from glaucoma. What you get overseas is nothing like as thorough.

Does seem to be the going rate. Last couple pairs I've sent existing frames off too an online re-glazer. Worked out cheaper than Specsavers. Not sure I'd get varifocals online though - you really need someone who knows that they're doing to make sure you have the fit right.

It depends a very great deal on how complex your prescription is. Extreme and presentable is VERY costly. MASSIVE failing of the NHS IMV. I actually wear virtually the same prescription as my grandmother did, and to get anything that doesn't look like a pair of jam jars is very expensive. She had the jam jars all her life and actually missed out on education because she hated them so much and threw them down a drain (not that anything better was available in those days).

I have a prescription diving mask that just does the -8.5 and it's only £100 for the lenses off the shelf (probably even cheaper online if you can wait for delivery but I went to dive shop in PJ to try them out), but the lenses look like jam jar bottoms inside the mask, don't correct my vision completely and I certainly can't read in them. Made my holiday a lot more enjoyable though because I could use them for diving and parascending and they're hell of a lot better than nothing.

Thanks all, my issue is relatively minor astigmatism that needs a moderate portion of "thin and light" sauce to make the lenses look acceptable.

Seems I've hit the going rate and i agree the astigmatism is not something I'd like to address with an online reading of my prescription.

Online isn't even an option I have since they all send you away if you're more than about -6.5.

There is clearly a level at which these professionals actually earn their money!

We are now use Costcos opticians , very thorough and great prices - especially when they have an offer on.

Oh yes, and a hotdog and soda for £1.50 whilst there……

Thanks all, my issue is relatively minor astigmatism that needs a moderate portion of "thin and light" sauce to make the lenses look acceptable.

Seems I've hit the going rate and i agree the astigmatism is not something I'd like to address with an online reading of my prescription.
I too have astigmatism and also a small prescription. Quicksilver glasses and a pair of fully rimless ones both with the protective coating thing. £305 in Specsavers.

As commented above Glasses Direct is also exceptional value, although you can't try them on as its online. But for spare pair etc. that's a bargain option.

Varifocals £280 at Specsavers not even the thinnest lenses.No wonder there's about 40 staff in each shop.

normally I get 2 pairs from Specsavers, coming in a total of about £450. I am massively shorted with a bad astigmatism, so I have the thinnest lenses they can supply. I also pay them for my daily mono focal contact lenses....

Does seem to be the going rate.
Two years sgo, Thailand, progressive extra thin with UV filter and Transitions. For frames I just pick a reasonably strong metal half-frame that I think suits my ugly mug but don't do designer. £550

This last set I was not overly chuffed with as after only 6 months or so the lenses took on a permanent "misting" that seems to be getting more marked with time.
However, I'm due again anyway as my sight has changed noticeably since then.
I'm trying a highly recommended chain store this time, having been told they are better and cheaper.

Single lens are dirt cheap. Varifocal a lot more. My last ones were £280 ish for 2 x VF, another £12 or so (yes, really) for reading glasses to my spec (astigmatism, prism, etc).

Online isn't even an option I have since they all send you away if you're more than about -6.5.

I'm -6.75 and -8.0 and had no problems with the online reglaze company I've used. Last pair of lenses were a couple of years ago and using a discount code came in at £112 for ultra thin with tints.

advertisement

Back