advertisement

Cost of fitting new PSU caps to Power amp

halvis

pfm Member
I am interested in buying a Conrad Johnson MF2500A power amp second hand.

The seller says the PSU electrolytic capacitors used in the PSU will soon need replacing.

He believes there are six of them - 10,000mF Nichison's (he doesn't have voltage details).

Just wondering what sort of price it would be to get these replaced and the unit tested?

thanks.

The cheapest way is find out the voltage and buy the model or equivalent at the big electronic suppliers like Mouser and Farnell/Element21. Install them yourself if you have soldering equipment and confidence.

In theory, I probably could do it myself, but not sure I would have the confidence. So would probably rather pay someone to do it.

The original ones were probably 10000 uf but 12000 uf would be fine. I wouldn’t go higher than that as it probably won’t make any difference.
I usually prefer a 10000 uf with very low ESR rather than a higher capacitance with higher ESR.

Thanks for this, sounds like about €300 should sort it then which isn't too bad. I may as well put the longer lasting caps in as well for the little extra.

Bit strange for it to burn out like that...and even stranger to carry on like nothing has happened to it ?
Guess you were both luck and unlucky..at the same time:confused:

Actually, it isn't mine, it is one I am thinking of buying. The buyer says its working perfectly, but has been told that if they are not changed soon something very bad could happen.

I am undecided whether I will proceed at this stage.

Actually, it isn't mine, it is one I am thinking of buying. The buyer says its working perfectly, but has been told that if they are not changed soon something very bad could happen.

I am undecided whether I will proceed at this stage.
Add £100 to the asking price and decide if you still want it. Or negotiate a lower price.

advertisement

Back