advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XXIV

But a booster every six months? This suits large Pharma's very nicely IMO

That's what the Government's 'strategy' entails. If you're going to let people catch it and spread it will nilly then there needs to be some pharmceutical protection in place for those of us placed at higher risk. Actually the at risk but under old age group didn't get a 4th jab at all despite the risk being similar...

I had my booster (Moderna) and flu jabs on Friday. I was surprised that I had zero side effects aside from slightly tender injection sites. Hopefully the jabs have taken properly. Last year the flu jab in particular made a bit rough for 24 hours, the covid ones also.

Had mine yesterday - thank gawd they don’t have the flu vaccine in until next month! Awful night of fever, chills and aches, and my arm bl00dy aches too!
All worth it I hope though!

Second vaccine doses to be offered to those at highest risk from monkeypox
Clinics continue to prioritise first doses for those at highest risk.

The Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI) has endorsed UKHSA’s proposal to offer second doses to those at highest risk, while continuing efforts to maximise uptake of the first dose within this group.

There are no current plans to widen the offer of vaccination beyond the existing priority cohorts, though this decision will be kept under review.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/...fered-to-those-at-highest-risk-from-monkeypox

I don’t know if it’s the same in the UK but apparently in the US the latest vaccine boosters haven’t had any human trials! Which I find staggering!

First 2 jabs only for me and that’s how it’s going to stay.

Eat healthy and keep physically active and if you have no underlying co-morbidities you’ll be alright.

Your post is potentially dangerous misinformation.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamainternalmedicine/fullarticle/2796235

In this cross-sectional study of US adults hospitalized with COVID-19 during January 2022 to April 2022 (during Omicron variant predominance), COVID-19-associated hospitalization rates were 10.5 times higher in unvaccinated persons and 2.5 times higher in vaccinated persons with no booster dose, respectively, compared with those who had received a booster dose.

During omicron recently boosted people with 10 times less likely to be hospitalized compared to the unvaccinated.
Those who has not been boosted were 2.5 less likely to be hospitalized compared to the unvaccinated.

The booster makes a significant difference, especially if you have only had the original course of two shots.

Your post is potentially dangerous misinformation.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamainternalmedicine/fullarticle/2796235

No it isn't - https://time.com/6208623/omicron-boosters-animals-clinical-trials/

During omicron recently boosted people with 10 times less likely to be hospitalized compared to the unvaccinated.
Those who has not been boosted were 2.5 less likely to be hospitalized compared to the unvaccinated.

The booster makes a significant difference, especially if you have only had the original course of two shots.

I don't dispute that these will be benefit the elderly, or those who have compromised health (albeit for a very limited time), however, for a normal functioning and healthy adult with good natural immunity, probably doesn't require them, hence why I am not having any more. I also don't have the flu jab, never had, I see no reason why I need to and no, I have never had the flu.

Me mum just spent a month in the hospital on oxygen and IV antibiotics after a COVID infection. She had two mRNA vaccines, then two mRNA boosters. The treating physician said she's probably alive because she got the second booster a month before her COVID infection so had the maximum amount of immunological protection — lots of antibodies ready to be deployed at a moment's notice.

She is frail, elderly and immunocompromised, so not typical of the population at large, but why would anyone take a chance on death when a vaccine exists?

"Natural immunity" is code for I got a COVID infection and luckily survived it. A COVID death is code for I got a COVID infection and, shit, I didn't survive.

Joe

I had my booster Friday after getting an email invite. I think this might be my fifth(?) jab. I've lost count. Moderna this time. No card or sticker... NHS cutbacks no doubt : )

Flu jab Saturday so spent the weekend feeling suboptimal.

OH tested positive this morning and has spent the day in bed. I tested negative this morning and again this evening. Feeling tired and achey but hard to know if this might be down to covid, the jabs or simply middle age.

Will test again in the morning. I've not yet had it so it seems hard to imagine I won't this time around even with all the Bill Gates nanochips rattling round in me.

I don't dispute that these will be benefit the elderly, or those who have compromised health (albeit for a very limited time), however, for a normal functioning and healthy adult with good natural immunity, probably doesn't require them, hence why I am not having any more. I also don't have the flu jab, never had, I see no reason why I need to and no, I have never had the flu.

That's a perfectly acceptable personal decision, but bad advice to give to others. I'm also fit and healthy (5 a day everyday, exercise every day, compete in triathlons) and my last brush with flu (confirmed at the Dr), in my late 40s, put me in bed for 3 days, and seriously fatigued for several weeks afterward. I had to postpone a holiday for a couple of months. If the flu shot can reduce my odds of a repeat I'll take it.

I also know some very healthy adults (also runners / triathlete) who've been poleaxed by Covid. Not hospitalized, but not fun either. Again, one booster a year seems like a reasonable precaution.

Paul,

@Joe P sorry to hear your Mum has been so unwell with it. That doesn't sound any fun at all. Hope she's on the mend.

Thanks, she and I thought this was the end, it was that serious. But, thankfully, she pulled through though not without issues. After being bedridden for a month she was so de-conditioned that she can't get around without a wheelchair.

Joe

That's a perfectly acceptable personal decision, but bad advice to give to others. I'm also fit and healthy (5 a day everyday, exercise every day, compete in triathlons) and my last brush with flu (confirmed at the Dr), in my late 40s, put me in bed for 3 days, and seriously fatigued for several weeks afterward. I had to postpone a holiday for a couple of months. If the flu shot can reduce my odds of a repeat I'll take it.

I also know some very healthy adults (also runners / triathlete) who've been poleaxed by Covid. Not hospitalized, but not fun either. Again, one booster a year seems like a reasonable precaution.

I am not giving advice to anyone, just commenting on my position / thoughts on this. It is entirely up to each individual what they do / don't do, take / don't take. I am also a runner and run at least once a week. I also participate and run in 10k's, 10 mile races and the occasional half marathon. Having had Omicron has no doubt affected my health - this maybe because I couldn't rest when I had it and had no choice but to work through it - downside to being your own boss. I can no longer run hills like I use to and I used to love doing these.

It's not one booster a year though is it, at present you are having at least 2 and I'm sure this will remain the case for a while to come...

Actually the at risk but under old age group didn't get a 4th jab at all despite the risk being similar...

I did, but I had to be proactive. Nobody invited me, so I contacted the Covid helpline quoted the Green book and got my 4th.

Seems to me that 'probably' is a bit weak when dealing with a potentially and not reliably predictable killer virus.
As for the flu jab, I'd suggest that if you had ever had Flu, you would be first in the queue for the jab. But I'd also suggest that trusting in natural immunity v a variable flu threat is needless risk taking.

Gingerbeard,

It's not one booster a year though is it, at present you are having at least 2 and I'm sure this will remain the case for a while to come...

Indeed, but having COVID blows much more than getting a shot a couple of times a year. Your choice, obviously, but I don't understand the reluctance to get boosters.

It's not like the COVID booster is the only one that works this way. Hepatitis A, Hepatitis B, Haemophilus influenzae type B, Measles-mumps-rubella, Tetanus, diphtheria, and pertussis all require periodic boosters.

Joe

For me yes it's one a year even with a 'covid age' of 76. Only the very old and the highest risk groups had 2 this year to give extra protection during the summer wave. For the under 50s it's not even 1 a year. My wife can't get one at all even 11 months into long covid. She used to run marathons prior to her covid and is now just about holding on to her job thanks to the benevolence of her employer. The risk of long covid is unrelated to fitness or to severity of infection and is running about 5% of all infections at present.

Me mum just spent a month in the hospital on oxygen and IV antibiotics after a COVID infection. She had two mRNA vaccines, then two mRNA boosters. The treating physician said she's probably alive because she got the second booster a month before her COVID infection so had the maximum amount of immunological protection — lots of antibodies ready to be deployed at a moment's notice.

She is frail, elderly and immunocompromised, so not typical of the population at large, but why would anyone take a chance on death when a vaccine exists?

"Natural immunity" is code for I got a COVID infection and luckily survived it. A COVID death is code for I got a COVID infection and, shit, I didn't survive.

Joe
Are you inviting a discussion on the pros and cons of the MRNA vaccine? I’ve only seen a one-sided discussion on this thread.

For me yes it's one a year even with a 'covid age' of 76. Only the very old and the highest risk groups had 2 this year to give extra protection during the summer wave. For the under 50s it's not even 1 a year. My wife can't get one at all even 11 months into long covid. She used to run marathons prior to her covid and is now just about holding on to her job thanks to the benevolence of her employer. The risk of long covid is unrelated to fitness or to severity of infection and is running about 5% of all infections at present.

I didn't realize your wife was so badly affected Gav - that's really awful and I hope she finds a way out of long Covid. It took me 4 months to shake it, and I think it's finally gone, but I know many have been much worse affected. Unfortunately the vaccines / boosters are only about 20% effective against long covid - it boggles my mind that only a tiny minority of my friends are taking Covid seriously, and Biden's "it's all over folks" didn't help.

Are you inviting a discussion on the pros and cons of the MRNA vaccine? I’ve only seen a one-sided discussion on this thread.

What are the cons (apart from the relative cost and need for expensive refrigeration) ? There have been hundreds of millions of mRNA shots given over the past two years - I think we'd know by now if there were serious cons.

advertisement

Back