advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XXIV

I've had four jabs, the last one early this year.

And I've just booked my 5th...

I'm not proud.

I turned up for my 5th jab at the appointed time to find people queuing out of the door, many of whom claimed they'd even told no appointment was necessary.
After waiting for about an hour I made it to a jabbing booth by which time I was feeling pretty rough as a result of some sort of inner ear/eustachean tube/ sinus blockage. After discussion I decided to skip the jab for a few days.
So I need to rebook, but on the upside I'm only 4 months on from my 4th jab so should hopefully have some residual protection.

I turned up for my 5th jab at the appointed time to find people queuing out of the door, many of whom claimed they'd even told no appointment was necessary.
After waiting for about an hour I made it to a jabbing booth by which time I was feeling pretty rough as a result of some sort of inner ear/eustachean tube/ sinus blockage. After discussion I decided to skip the jab for a few days.
So I need to rebook, but on the upside I'm only 4 months on from my 4th jab so should hopefully have some residual protection.

There are some walk-in centres.

Yes, I know . However, there is little point in encouraging people to book, then putting them into the same queue as people who are just turning up. It is unfair to both groups.

I got email notification yesterday and followed the link to book a jab.
First thing was to input my NHS number, then various questions about vulnerability etc. Got to the end of those and I was told that I was not allowed to book anything as I did not need the booster..........................
I had the last booster 11 months ago.

Yes, I know . However, there is little point in encouraging people to book, then putting them into the same queue as people who are just turning up. It is unfair to both groups.
At the two vaccination centres I have attended the two queues were kept separate.

Both queues were short recently at a medium-sized local clinic with the pre-booked queue getting priority. At a previous much larger vaccination centre in a large sports hall with many more people in the two queues and quite a few vaccination stations, I observed they were coordinating resources to ensure fairness to both queues. This was managed very well IME and IMHO, but that does not of course mean it's well done everywhere.

I got bivalent Moderna just over a week ago to add to 2xAZ and 1xPfizer. No side-effects - not even the previously experienced slightly sore arm. There was some confusion from my initial invitation arriving by text a week too early for the NHS booking system, but after the second invitation the web site allowed me to book.

Personally, I have still had nothing more than two strange colds this year with negative tests but symptoms matching the Zoe symptom tracker well enough for me to be suspicious.

All the younger people in our household have had the virus, but not me. I cycle a lot ( upto 30 odd miles some days ) so whether thats given me good
immunity I don't know ?. But what's putting me off another jab at the moment is reading some guys rather disturbing account of hearing loss after taking
the vaccine. I know this is probably incredibly rare, but I m a sensitive soul, ha, so still wondering what to do ?. I m sure people are getting more relaxed
( blase ) in general bout the virus. Not read much of this thread btw. Thanks for info anyway

I had the variant booster last week, felt a bit tired the next day but that's it. I did seem to get a slight increase in tinnitus around the time of my first shot, but may have been coincidental as it at was around the time I also started driving my MX-5 RF roof down. I now wear motorcycling ear plugs if I am going to be doing any speed, don't need any more hearing damage.

All the younger people in our household have had the virus, but not me. I cycle a lot ( upto 30 odd miles some days ) so whether thats given me good
immunity I don't know ?. But what's putting me off another jab at the moment is reading some guys rather disturbing account of hearing loss after taking
the vaccine. I know this is probably incredibly rare, but I m a sensitive soul, ha, so still wondering what to do ?. I m sure people are getting more relaxed
( blase ) in general bout the virus. Not read much of this thread btw. Thanks for info anyway

I don’t know if it’s the same in the UK but apparently in the US the latest vaccine boosters haven’t had any human trials! Which I find staggering!

First 2 jabs only for me and that’s how it’s going to stay.

Eat healthy and keep physically active and if you have no underlying co-morbidities you’ll be alright.

Eat healthy and keep physically active and if you have no underlying co-morbidities you’ll be alright.

Except if you're not, there are many examples of the fit and healthy ending up hospitalised. The vaccine reduces the chance of serious illness by a factor of ca 100x. It also lowers your chances of becoming infected for a little while, reducing the prospect of passing it on to others who might be more vulnerable.

I don’t know if it’s the same in the UK but apparently in the US the latest vaccine boosters haven’t had any human trials! Which I find staggering!

The vaccines will have undergone what is known in the trade as ‘equivalence’ testing (not in humans), which is a very good safety test. It’s not unusual for variations in well-researched vaccines to be approved without human trials. I would read this as the FDA and MHRA doing a risk:benefit assessment (at which they are extremely thorough and professional) and deciding that the future health of the population will benefit significantly from the updated vaccination at an acceptable level of risk. That is what they do, and they are good at it.

The advice to eat healthy etc is excellent for a whole range of reasons and it will - at the population level - reduce the risk of a whole host of morbidities, COVID included. The percentage reduction in risk is, however, a tiny percentage of the reduction in risk produced by vaccination and re-vaccination.

Except if you're not, there are many examples of the fit and healthy ending up hospitalised. The vaccine reduces the chance of serious illness by a factor of ca 100x. It also lowers your chances of becoming infected for a little while, reducing the prospect of passing it on to others who might be more vulnerable.

Indeed, there have been a number of sports, TV personalities and otherwise fit and healthy members of the public that have been hit hard with it. Kate Garroway's husband being a prime example. These are still the minority though and for whatever reason some are clearly much more susceptible to becoming seriously ill.

But a booster every six months? This suits large Pharma's very nicely IMO

But a booster every six months? This suits large Pharma's very nicely IMO

IMO it’s comforting that the large Pharmas are putting in the effort and taking the financial risk in the face of a fairly rapidly mutating virus.

It’s easy to point out the profits made by the successful vaccines, but a couple of vaccines that got into trials (costing £tens of millions) weren’t successful and those companies lost money big time.

I had my booster (Moderna) and flu jabs on Friday. I was surprised that I had zero side effects aside from slightly tender injection sites. Hopefully the jabs have taken properly. Last year the flu jab in particular made me a bit rough for 24 hours, the covid ones also.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back