advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XXIV

Well I’m on the outpatient ward now in, as you might expect, a separate part of the hospital. Very new building full of new equipment and staffed by very young, enthusiastic staff. There are three of us in here, each with the trade mark cough. The lady opposite is late 80s.

My goodness - I hope all three of you are soon better.

Has anyone tried buying LFTs from Boots yet?

We still have a handful but it would be nice to be able to use them before going to busy events rather than saving them until we have plague symptoms.

Yes on the same day that an official survey stated 4.9 million people had Covid, my Father in Laws care home have removed the requirement for visitors to show a negative LFT and wear PPE when visiting a resident. Looking at the condition of the people in these places, God help them.

My Mum (90 in May, bed/chair bound, dementia) contracted covid in her nursing home a couple of months back, there was quite an outbreak apparently and the home was back to pod visits for a while. She'd already had 4 jabs and only showed mild symptoms, I'm amazed she survived it.

The UK’s official list of Covid-19 symptoms has been expanded to include nine new signs of illness [at long last].

The new symptoms, in addition to a fever, a new and persistent cough and a loss or change in taste or smell, are:

• Shortness of breath.

• Feeling tired or exhausted.

• An aching body.

• A headache.

• A sore throat.

• A blocked or runny nose.

• Loss of appetite.

• Diarrhoea.

• Feeling sick or being sick.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...list-expanded-with-nine-more-signs-of-illness

The UK’s official list of Covid-19 symptoms has been expanded to include nine new signs of illness [at long last].

The new symptoms, in addition to a fever, a new and persistent cough and a loss or change in taste or smell, are:

• Shortness of breath.

• An aching body.

• A headache.

• A sore throat.

• A blocked or runny nose.

• Loss of appetite.

• Diarrhoea.

• Feeling sick or being sick.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...list-expanded-with-nine-more-signs-of-illness

Ironic seeing as in every other respect they are treating it as if it's over and gone away.

Small but recurring niggle - why write:

A note on the nhs.uk website adds: “The symptoms are very similar to symptoms of other illnesses, such as colds and flu.”

...but link to the NHS home page not the note itself? The BBC does this kind of thing too.

Just tested neg again.
Sounds like you and Mrs. Mull are nearly through it and thankfully you've both avoided being seriously ill. Next up will be boosters to keep the vaccines working as I think you're the right age group for those (apologies if I'm ageing you prematurely). Glad you are both OK.

Sounds like you and Mrs. Mull are nearly through it and thankfully you've both avoided being seriously ill. Next up will be boosters to keep the vaccines working as I think you're the right age group for those (apologies if I'm ageing you prematurely). Glad you are both OK.

Thanks for that.
I'm just turned 73 so not automatically eligible for 4th jab. I'm not immunosuppressed and don't have diabetes.
I really have no clear idea whether having a damaged right ventricle, a totally blocked main cardiac artery on the right and progressing left ventricular failure with an EF of around 35-40% makes me 'vulnerable', but nobody is tracking me down for a 4th jab.
Mrs Mull is 69.

Ironic seeing as in every other respect they are treating it as if it's over and gone away.
We have the same problem in Swizzieland - the last-remaining mask requirement, in public transport, was dropped on 1 April (no fooling). Basel held its annual Fasnacht carnival, and, as a result, the two Basel cantons have been at the top of the Swiss Covid infections list for the last few weeks. Our daughters tell us that Zürich airport is pretty much mask-free, whereas in Istanbul airport, at least up to recently, they had "Covid police" riding around on scooters, warning people to wear their masks. Personally, I'm continuing to wear my mask when shopping, and doing the shopping at times when there are relatively few people around.

Day 8 of testing +ve for me. I'm supposed to be flying to the USA on Wednesday.
How long are people taking to test -ve?

<snip>

That's weird. It was just this morning I was thinking I couldn't smell anything but thought that was an 'old' symptom that wasn't currently true any more. I always wear a fragrance every day, even if I'm at home on my own (it's just a thing I do for myself) and getting a hint of something throughout the day is really nice*. I put on the usual few sprays this morning and realised I couldn't smell a thing. It's a bit bizarre.

I've had (and still have) some of the following:
  • Shortness of breath.
  • An aching body.
  • A headache.
  • A sore throat.
  • A blocked or runny nose
The shortness of breath thing is strange too - I forget about it until I try and do something basic when it suddenly feels like I've run up 3 flights of stairs.

*Today's fragrance of choice is one that normally most would write off out-of-hand as it's a) cheap and b) car-maker branded which usually equals 'naff' - Bentey For Men Intense. It's a really great woody/boozy fragrance that belies the branding and price - espeiclally when other fragrances are £200-300 a bottle. It's not really a 'spring' fragrance, it's more autumn/winter but today's a bit cold and rainy outside so I thought I'd roll with it today as I'm obviously WFH. Can't smell it at all...! :rolleyes:

A couple of my friends who recently had Covid reported loss of sense of smell (presumably one or other Omicron variant), so it's definitely still a thing.

BA and easyJet cancel hundreds of flights amid Covid staff sickness
Some passengers stranded amid travel chaos at some of UK’s biggest airports

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/apr/04/easyjet-cancels-flights-covid-staff-travel-airports

Easter travel disruption as flights cancelled

Some schools have broken up for Easter - the first holiday since the end of the pandemic travel restrictions. That's led to rising demand and frustration for holidaymakers.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60976958

BA and easyJet cancel hundreds of flights amid Covid staff sickness
Some passengers stranded amid travel chaos at some of UK’s biggest airports

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/apr/04/easyjet-cancels-flights-covid-staff-travel-airports

Easter travel disruption as flights cancelled

Some schools have broken up for Easter - the first holiday since the end of the pandemic travel restrictions. That's led to rising demand and frustration for holidaymakers.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60976958
That must be very frustrating for anyone travelling or being visited, and as with many things that have happened with Covid, was broadly avoidable.

I could easily have been in that group had I still been working in Switzerland, so I am very happy to have retired and be in the UK with my family.

Thanks for that.
I'm just turned 73 so not automatically eligible for 4th jab. I'm not immunosuppressed and don't have diabetes.
I really have no clear idea whether having a damaged right ventricle, a totally blocked main cardiac artery on the right and progressing left ventricular failure with an EF of around 35-40% makes me 'vulnerable', but nobody is tracking me down for a 4th jab.
Mrs Mull is 69.
Apologies for ageing you both :D I think there’s a lot of us that don’t qualify for boosters that should and you sound like one of those. Let’s see if the government widen the criteria in the near future … not holding my breath though.

advertisement

Back