Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Coronavirus - the new strain XXI

Discussion in 'off topic' started by gavreid, Sep 21, 2021.

1. tiggers

tiggers pfm Member

I just wish he’d bother to read the posts where people point out why what he says is wrong!

Instead he just repeats himself again and again!

gavreid likes this.
  2. Enfield boy

Enfield boy pfm Member

Yup, says he doesn't know... yet studiously avoids finding out.

gavreid likes this.
  3. mandryka

mandryka pfm Member

The issue is not where we are with 1st and 2nd doses now, it is where we were with vaccinations IN JULY!!!! That is what enabled us to let it rip and be free during summer and to deal with the resulting exit wave in the warmer months. The EU and the USA and Australia couldn't because at that time they were slow to vaccinate. And that was the initial touch of genius in the British plan.

This is unworthy of you. If you were a gentleman you would delete it.

This is particularly silly.

You need to tell Gavin that, who clearly just knee jerked in his typical way and wrote utterly irrelevant stuff in response to my argument.

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

4. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

47 240 new cases, 147 deaths today and 659 admissions.

5. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

When she was arguing against universal boosters, Christina Pagel used to make the reasonable point that there are *a lot* more adults than there are 11–17 year olds. She’s reverse-ferreted on boosters - doesn’t play well with her audience. Now calling for travel bans of course to deal with the new variant.

Vaccines for Africa: Booo!

Travel bans for Africa: Hooray!

6. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

Weekly surveillance report here

Surveillance indicators suggest that at a national level COVID-19 activity increased in some
    indicators, while decreasing in others in week 46 of 2021. Laboratory indicators suggest that
    influenza activity is very low.

Overall COVID-19 case rates increased in week 46. Case rates increased in most regions and
    in all ethnic groups. Case rates increased in most age groups, but decreased in those aged
    over 60. Overall Pillar 1 and Pillar 2 positivity remained stable compared to the previous week.

The overall number of reported acute respiratory incidents in the past week increased in
    England compared to the previous week, most notably in educational settings. SARS-CoV-2
    was identified in the majority of these.

COVID-19 hospitalisations decreased in week 46. Deaths with COVID-19 decreased in the
    most recent week.

7. Richard Lines

Richard Lines pfm Member

I'm not sure in what way the booster programme has been better managed?

I don't pretend to be in any way medically trained BUT I simply don't understand why we aren't rolling out the booster jabs on the same basis the initial vaccinations were rolled out i.e. Groups 1 - 9. From what I'm reading it seems to be something close to free for all at the moment with people being encouraged to "chase up" getting a jab as opposed to the initial roll-out where we told we would be contacted in due course (as indeed both my wife and I were).

What am I missing? I'm just having to re-arrange mine a second time due to the job I'm doing on this here boatie being dragged out still further.

Regards

Richard

8. Enfield boy

Enfield boy pfm Member

γνῶθι σεαυτόν[/QUOTE]

Thanks @mandryka , I know myself pretty well.

9. mandryka

mandryka pfm Member

Numbers -- this is from the latest ZOE presentation. Better results implying better management I guess.

[​IMG]

10. mandryka

mandryka pfm Member

μηδὲν ἄγαν

11. mandryka

mandryka pfm Member

Excellent!

12. webster

webster Listen & enjoy.

Nonsense.

13. mandryka

mandryka pfm Member

That's always possible. But better results in this case is something we should celebrate!

14. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

Variant looks bad.

15. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr Well, I can dream, can’t I?

At what point do we accept that this is all just Gaia ridding herself of a pest?

Richard Lines likes this.
  16. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

17. Enfield boy

Enfield boy pfm Member

Well that'll spoil my Christmas!

mandryka likes this.
  18. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

Well, potentially more transmissible etc pending further lab work - but agreed, it doesn't look great.

Question: if you have a mostly vaccinated population but still have a high number of cases (like the UK) presumably you still have the same risk of the virus mutating into new variants. Is that correct?

gavreid likes this.
  19. mandryka

mandryka pfm Member

Very good Mr Enfield Boy. I’ve got a vague memory it comes up in The Symposium - I don’t think they would have let it spoil any celebrations.

20. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

Some say it's the ideal condition to create a vaccine busting mutant, especially in schools where you have a mixture of vaccinated, partial and un-vaccinated together with high prevalence and a lack of other controls.