advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Austria keeps being pilloried for having a low vaccination rate but their rate is just 3.2% lower than ours. I’m sure there’s more to it, ie our boosters, age spread (perhaps) but 3.2% is hardly a significant difference so why are they bad and we are good according to commentators? Seems like bollocks.

FWIW:

Screenshot-2021-11-24-at-10-28-15-UK-Coronavirus-Tracker.png

Screenshot-2021-11-24-at-10-50-31-UK-Coronavirus-Tracker.png

https://www.travellingtabby.com/uk-coronavirus-tracker/

Austria keeps being pilloried for having a low vaccination rate but their rate is just 3.2% lower than ours. I’m sure there’s more to it, ie our boosters, age spread (perhaps) but 3.2% is hardly a significant difference so why are they bad and we are good according to commentators? Seems like bollocks.

You are right. It could be the age spread. It could be that they lack of hospital resources. It could be that they are experiencing more worrying vaccine waning due to the widespread use of mRNA drugs. It could also be that the extra vaccine coverage here makes a difference.

But there's another thing.

It could be that they have decided to do it anyway: even though they could follow the British way, they think it's better to impose a vaccine mandate.

WHO exec: greater uptake of masks in Europe over winter would 'save about 160,000 lives'

Rob Butler
, executive director of World Health Organization Europe, has been on Sky News in the UK this morning. He made a strong appeal for people to continue to use face masks, saying:

We’re seeing waning immunity of vaccines, especially after the 30 week mark. We’ve got 45-47% of the entire population [of Europe] unvaccinated. Let me be absolutely clear, the majority of people in intensive care units today are the unvaccinated.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...0866e46b62285d#block-619de4f28f0866e46b62285d

Not masks again?? Surely not, they are of no consequence apparently ;) :D

This is interesting on regional variations in Austria:

https://twitter.com/lisa_iannattone/status/1461935711951671298?s=20

Seems that Vienna has kept the mask mandate, developed an innovative (free) testing regime, offered strong incentives for vaccination and run a clear comms program, and is doing a lot better than elsewhere.

Interestingly, for some of us, all of these measures bar one - masks - are forgotten in the "headline" Tweet.

A big problem with mask discussion, IMO, is that masks are sometimes used to stand for a whole raft of measures (some of them, individually, likely to be more effective than masks themselves) and sometimes stand only for themselves. In the Guardian snippet above, Butler talks about masks and ventilation: the headline only mentions masks.

This is interesting on regional variations in Austria:

https://twitter.com/lisa_iannattone/status/1461935711951671298?s=20

Seems that Vienna has kept the mask mandate, developed an innovative (free) testing regime, offered strong incentives for vaccination and run a clear comms program, and is doing a lot better than elsewhere.

Interestingly, for some of us, all of these measures bar one - masks - are forgotten in the "headline" Tweet.

A big problem with mask discussion, IMO, is that masks are sometimes used to stand for a whole raft of measures (some of them, individually, likely to be more effective than masks themselves) and sometimes stand only for themselves. In the Guardian snippet above, Butler talks about masks and ventilation: the headline only mentions masks.

Maybe I misread it, but this is focussing on incidence. Incidence doesn't much in a country with a vaccination rate similar to ours -- that's the big insight of the British way.

WHO head honcho endorses the UK Way of tackling COVID, and heaps praise on the Government's achievements vis-a-vis vaccination.

Covid live: WHO director says Europe is again centre of pandemic with France and Netherlands set for new measures | World news | The Guardian

He also mentioned in passing that there was a risk of long term effects of covid, but didn't elaborate, except to say that people should avoid getting exposed to covid (obvs! Derr)

(I think I might apply for a job on The Star)

Take the piss as much as you like, you (like your mate) keep telling us things like masks aren’t that much of a help in the grand scheme of things yet medical evidence says otherwise ergo you are wrong….again!!!

Ha! whare ye gaun, ye crowlan ferlie!
Your impudence protects you sairly:
I canna say but ye strunt rarely,
Owre gawze and lace;
Tho’ faith, I fear ye dine but sparely,
On sic a place.

Ye ugly, creepan, blastet wonner,
Detested, shunn’d, by saunt an’ sinner,
How daur ye set your fit upon her,
Sae fine a Lady!
Gae somewhere else and seek your dinner,
On some poor body.

Swith, in some beggar’s haffet squattle;
There ye may creep, and sprawl, and sprattle,
Wi’ ither kindred, jumping cattle,
In shoals and nations;
Whare horn nor bane ne’er daur unsettle,
Your thick plantations.

Now haud you there, ye’re out o’ sight,
Below the fatt’rels, snug and tight,
Na faith ye yet! ye’ll no be right,
Till ye’ve got on it,
The vera topmost, towrin height
O’ Miss’s bonnet.

My sooth! right bauld ye set your nose out,
As plump an’ gray as onie grozet:
O for some rank, mercurial rozet,
Or fell, red smeddum,
I’d gie you sic a hearty dose o’t,
Wad dress your droddum!

I wad na been surpriz’d to spy
You on an auld wife’s flainen toy;
Or aiblins some bit duddie boy,
On ’s wylecoat;
But Miss’s fine Lunardi, fye!
How daur ye do ’t?

O Jenny dinna toss your head,
An’ set your beauties a’ abread!
Ye little ken what cursed speed
The blastie’s makin!
Thae winks and finger-ends, I dread,
Are notice takin!

O wad some Pow’r the giftie gie us
To see oursels as others see us!

It wad frae monie a blunder free us
An’ foolish notion:
What airs in dress an’ gait wad lea’e us,
And ev’n Devotion!

Booster done - Moderna this time. The doc wouldn't let me leave without a flu jab in the other arm too. I'd not booked it and she had to fetch some from another room. :)

Mr & Mrs hc boosted on Monday. Me with Pfizer and fine except a sore arm. Mrs hc had Moderna (due to a history of allergy) and absolutely poleaxed - 2 days in bed with temperatures peaking at 103F.

Mr & Mrs hc boosted on Monday. Me with Pfizer and fine except a sore arm. Mrs hc had Moderna (due to a history of allergy) and absolutely poleaxed - 2 days in bed with temperatures peaking at 103F.

All the best hc, these vaccines really do seem to clobber some people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back