advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Weekly covid deaths in Scotland are at their highest since February

https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...082ec29d6e14cc#block-615453dc8f082ec29d6e14cc

Nearly 11,000 deaths in Scotland from coronavirus since the start of the pandemic yet hardly any criticism of the SNP or Sturgeon from anyone.

I had a woman customer tell me last week that Sturgeon had done a 'brilliant' job with regards to the pandemic relative to Johnston's government.

Unbelievable, really unbelievable.

So roughly 19 people a day have died in Scotland since the first lockdown back in March 23 2020.

Absolutely shocking statistics for any modern government, for context, NZ has had 27 deaths during the pandemic, less than one death a month.

The most recent numbers from the US show just over 2,000 people dying from coronavirus every day. IIRC, 99.2% of those dying are unvaccinated.

Nearly 11,000 deaths in Scotland from coronavirus since the start of the pandemic yet hardly any criticism of the SNP or Sturgeon from anyone.

I had a woman customer tell me last week that Sturgeon had done a 'brilliant' job with regards to the pandemic relative to Johnston's government.

Unbelievable, really unbelievable.

So roughly 19 people a day have died in Scotland since the first lockdown back in March 23 2020.

Absolutely shocking statistics for any modern government, for context, NZ has had 27 deaths during the pandemic, less than one death a month.

Comparisons with NZ are meaningless - completely different circumstances and ability to lock out the virus in the early phase of the pandemic in order to stop it becoming embedded.

The most recent numbers from the US show just over 2,000 people dying from coronavirus every day. IIRC, 99.2% of those dying are unvaccinated.

They might as well report it by Democrat or Republican! In the UK, the last report was some time ago but the majority of deaths were in people who had been fully vaccinated.

In Malaysia 85% of adults are now fully vaccinated, but still nearly all of ICU case are not fully vaxed.
The UK is a bit different as many most vulnerable got dosed more than 6 months ago

Comparisons with NZ are meaningless - completely different circumstances and ability to lock out the virus in the early phase of the pandemic in order to stop it becoming embedded.

Total nonsense.

The comparison isn't meaningless NZ has more or less the same population as Scotland and we're part of an Island the same as NZ which is two long islands anyway the point is the SNP government along with the Westminster government and the other devolved nations in the UK have basically killed nearly 200,000 people here and are continuing to kill about 150 people a day with their failed policy of pandemic control.

New Zealand is one of the remoter outposts of civilisation. It certainly has rather less problem closing its borders then the U.K. does. To say we are similar because we are both islands is to reduce the argument to a level of simplicity bordering on the absurd.

Didn't we have the same ability to shut out the virus as New Zealand? I mean, taking back control of our borders, etc etc.

Given the Cheltenham races episode, I think that the border issue could have been as much about mentality.

Some interesting news though. One of my wives friends, a surgeon, caught Covid last April and was very ill. Was on ICU and then home for weeks. He's part of a study, without being vaccinated. It seems he has huge antibody levels and has since had Covid again without symptoms.

They might as well report it by Democrat or Republican! In the UK, the last report was some time ago but the majority of deaths were in people who had been fully vaccinated.
(Emphasis added.)

Surely the reverse? The majority of deaths were in people who are not vaccinated?

Didn't we have the same ability to shut out the virus as New Zealand? I mean, taking back control of our borders, etc etc.

Of course. Every country in the whole wide world had the ability to close borders like New Zealand. Switzerland had the power to close its borders with Austria, Germany, Italy and France . . .

When NZ closed borders I guess there wasn’t much covid in the country, because NZ is quite isolated. The situation may not have been the same in the UK when we finally discovered that covid was seriously nasty, and science experts were finally saying that closing borders should be considered. I don’t know.

Last edited:
If the vast majority of UK elderly are vaccinated you'd expect them to make up the majority of the covid deaths:
https://scitechdaily.com/more-vacci...covid-in-england-than-unvaccinated-heres-why/

It's a very different situation to West Virginia or Wyoming, where large numbers of older people in poor health are not vaccinated.
I stand corrected.

Quite the reverse in the US: https://apnews.com/article/coronavirus-pandemic-health-941fcf43d9731c76c16e7354f5d5e187

When NZ closed their borders, there wasn't much Covid outside of China. They stopped people coming in from China and then Italy. Sure, not so many flights in, but they made firm measures straight away.

The article is old - it's starting to change here. Back in July 99% of deaths were the unvaccinated. Now we're into the low 90%s:
https://www.heraldnet.com/news/almost-93-of-countys-covid-deaths-are-among-unvaccinated/

In the US we have about 150k cases and about 1800 deaths each day - 1.2% mortality if you like.
Today's UK figures - 36 772 cases, 150 deaths - 0.4% mortality.

Likely the difference is that many unvaccinated here are dying, whereas in the UK with the much higher overall vaccination rate, it's more elderly or immune compromised but vaccinated folks. Still the UK has a much lower death rate overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back