advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not clear why the UK deaths are so high at 181 ? France 68, Germany 51, Italy 49 etc
And yet our 50+ year olds are 96-98% vaccinated.
Are breakthrough deaths that much higher with AZ than Pfizer ?

Are breakthrough deaths that much higher with AZ than Pfizer ?

Decide for yourself, this is from the end of July

Capture.jpg

Looking at that PHE chart, there is a surprising spread on those AZ two-dose results. What does 75-99% even mean: they're not sure but it's somewhere in that range? It would be a significant difference (95-99% sounds quite a bit better than 75-99% when talking about mortality).
A large (n= 22 million) French study recently concluded that the main vaccines used there (Pfizer, Moderna, AZ) all provided similar and high levels of protection for everybody above 50. https://www.lemonde.fr/planete/arti...de-22-millions-de-personnes_6097870_3244.html
A US study found Moderna gave slightly higher levels of protection than BioNTech/Pfizer (no AZ data as the Feds didn't authorize it) - the Moderna protection faded more slowly, IIRC.
https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7038e1.htm

Spike in Singapore is a bit strange given their high vaccination rate. Could there be a new variant...

There could well be, apparently there's some dodgy stuff going on with PCR & LFT tests in Kent which they're looking into seems they think there may be a strain able to evade testing but they're not sure which means it's serious, that's what the said about the Kent strain ie 'awe it's just a weird looking variant, nothing to worry about' with about 100,000 people dead later on within six months.

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/n...eral-flow-tests-followed-negative-pcr-1243356

There could well be, apparently there's some dodgy stuff going on with PCR & LFT tests in Kent which they're looking into seems they think there may be a strain able to evade testing but they're not sure which means it's serious, that's what the said about the Kent strain ie 'awe it's just a 'weird looking variant, nothing to worry about' with about 100,000 people dead later.

Think this post needs the article posting for corroboration. There are several theories why this could be happening, and no evidence as yet:

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/n...-flow-tests-followed-negative-pcr-1243356/amp

Think this post needs the article posting for corroboration. There are several theories why this could be happening, and no evidence as yet:

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/n...-flow-tests-followed-negative-pcr-1243356/amp

If this mob told me it was Tuesday and raining tonight I wouldn't believe them.

Make a complete eff up, be responsible for killing about 100,000 shag your bird in the palace of Westminster, 'resign' then get a job in the United nations 'looking after Africa's economic recovery post Covid.

You really couldn't make some of this shit up.

Spike in Singapore is a bit strange given their high vaccination rate. Could there be a new variant...
They have mainly had Pfizer 6+ months ago.
They have millions of foreign workers in fairly crowded dormitories.
There is a significant number of anti-vaxers, who were encouraged by the very low community infections until a month ago (this is also seen in Aus and NZ)
The death rate is very low. Its seems to be Delta doing a breakthrough.

They have mainly had Pfizer 6+ months ago.
They have millions of foreign workers in fairly crowded dormitories.
There is a significant number of anti-vaxers, who were encouraged by the very low community infections until a month ago (this is also seen in Aus and NZ)
The death rate is very low. Its seems to be Delta doing a breakthrough.

The death rate is low but has recently increased from 1 or 2 a day to 10-12. Per head that is a sudden jump to UK levels despite a higher vaccination rate. Perhaps most of those cases/deaths are foreign workers.

Some discussion upthread regarding UK doing much worse than France but fatalities expressed as a percentage of total cases is virtually identical.

Some discussion upthread regarding UK doing much worse than France but fatalities expressed as a percentage of total cases is virtually identical.

The mystery is why there’s such a big difference in case numbers. I actually don’t know how many people have COVID each week in France (as opposed to positive results) but I bet it’s much less than our 800K or thereabouts. Maybe a tenth of that. A twentieth.

Why are so few frenchies catching covid? Vaccine passports? A more effective vaccine? Less vaccine waning? Masks? The general health of the population? A less densely populated country? More respect for isolation? Better health and safety at work? I guess some or all of these things are making a small contribution which add together to have a massive effect - hard to say! Impossible to say I suspect. It’s a real mystery.

I think all of what you mention is valid.
In addition there is an attempt to enforce rules in France - I saw absolutely no attempt whatsoever to do so in the UK.

Do you know what percentage of this number of 800K would be under 18?

Good thinking.

According to this, taken from a questionnaire based study at the end of last month, 2% of them are positive

Capture.jpg

And this website suggests there are about 15.5M people under 19

• UK population 2020, by age group | Statista

So I guess about 300,000 under 19s are covid positive each week. Half a million adults a week catch it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back