advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
BBC reporting the 21st of June will be moved back 4 weeks.

Not enough. They're hoping to complete adult vaccination by the end of July - add 2 or 3 weeks for immunity to build and that's the 3rd week in August. Minimum. Looks they've chosen the end of the school year.

People needed dates, and they were sensible, and so’s the delay.

There was nothing remotely sensible about it as events have proven, and as I said when it was announced. Now people have ruined wedding plans etc, etc. Step 3 was another mistake in the knowledge that Delta was spreading rapidly. There's needs to be some rolling back of that step to bring cases under control but I think the disappointment (and support for a delay is only around 50:50 this time thanks to the Government getting this so wrong) will have a damaging impact on adherence to remaining measures...

There was nothing remotely sensible about it as events have proven, and as I said when it was announced. Now people have ruined wedding plans etc, etc. Step 3 was another mistake in the knowledge that Delta was spreading rapidly. There's needs to be some rolling back of that step to bring cases under control but I think the disappointment (and support for a delay is only around 50:50 this time thanks to the Government getting this so wrong) will have a damaging impact on adherence to remaining measures...

I'm genuinely surprised that business owners (who I imagined have a bit of business nous) made plans on the idea that the 21st of June was a firm date for all restrictions to be lifted. Either they had selective deafness when the original announcements were made WRT easing restrictions, they're demonstrating wishful thinking or they're a twit.

The whole point of the dates was that they were provisional, so that the last is being delayed is hardly damning in itself, nor is the fact that people gambled their wedding on it. As for the presumption that the public won’t comply...what is this, March 2020?

Data not dates was a charade - it's always date night for Johnson. This is another difficult U-turn for him

Except this current postponement proves it's not, doesn't it?

He had no intention of postponing untl this past 10 days now the the data is staring him in the face. It won't change in four weeks, that's the problem with establishing a new artificial date - it's no coincidence that it coincides with the beginning of the summer holidays...

I'm genuinely surprised that business owners (who I imagined have a bit of business nous) made plans on the idea that the 21st of June was a firm date for all restrictions to be lifted. Either they had selective deafness when the original announcements were made WRT easing restrictions, they're demonstrating wishful thinking or they're a twit.

Well I think a date is essential to plan to, and you plan to it in the awareness that the date may be moved. It's like a target -- you may hit it, you may not. But it's generally good to set an ambitious one.

It’s being widely reported that the restrictions on weddings will be lifted despite an extension to lockdown.

It won't change in four weeks.

Yes it will. There will be more cases and more hospital admissions and more vaccinations and more data to make a judgement about the effect of the vaccines on illness and there will be the certainty that transmission will be reduced because of the school holidays and also, I guess, clarity about the vaccine pipeline.

Well I think a date is essential to plan to, and you plan to it in the awareness that the date may be moved. It's like a target -- you may hit it, you may not. But it's generally good to set an ambitious one.

I get that but I also get that dates change. IME, if you don't have plan to deal with a date you plan going to the right, you're going to fail.

He had no intention of postponing untl this past 10 days now the the data is staring him in the face. It won't change in four weeks, that's the problem with establishing a new artificial date - it's no coincidence that it coincides with the beginning of the summer holidays...
Had no intention of changing the date until the data was clear he should...that’s not really an awful position! It’s actually surprising: I thought he’d crack on.

From what I can gather it really is the case that the data has only recently become clear: things have obviously been very finely poised, but very few experts claimed to be confident about which way the ball was going to roll. Obviously there were some very high profile exceptions, but they’ve been confident that the worst was just about to happen since the start of the roadmap, which is why nobody’s listening to them now.

You know this for definite? ISTM they've been making noises for more than ten days about this date being pushed back.

That's why they left it until today. That's the counter to the planning argument, far better to have said at step 3 that step 4 was unlikely to happen, not leave it until the week before

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back