advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can't suggest that in here, the clique will be along in a sec to call you a an opposer of civil liberties, a nazi, a right wing sympathiser etc. etc.
Sorry, I just don’t know what to think anymore , what with Oz/NZ & their immigrant patrols being so loved;) So hard to keep up. Can we build a wall?

^^For any newcomers “the clique” is one person, me, AKA “Some People on Here”.

Waiting to be told I’m a narcissist again :).

No, the clique has more than just you in it, then again you would think you're that important that only you matter as you're a ..... ;)

PS Have you looked up what it means yet... or have you just been too self absorbed to get round to it? :D

Here's my vision for the future

1. Lots of sickness and death in Europe and the USA, due to the ravages of δ. We will be OK in the UK because vaccination and exiting from the current lockdown has been well managed.

2. It'll be like gastroenteritis. Nearly everyone catches it often, most people shake it off, a few people end up in hospital and a few people have a long form -- IBS. We're all taught how to take precautions against it, and no-one lets it get in the way of having fun unless they've got some sort of aggravating medical condition or they're neurotic.

3. Domestic life mostly back to normal, as if nothing ever happened, in the UK in 2023 or even earlier. There will be lots of test, trace, isolate to guard against new variants and rapid vaccination against them.

4. In Europe there may be a reaction against the EU, demands to leave à la Brexit. Vaccine reluctance will be all but eradicated for adults.
File for future reference :) !

No, the clique has more than just you in it, then again you would think you're that important that only you matter as you're a ..... ;)

PS Have you looked up what it means yet... or have you just been too self absorbed to get round to it? :D
Name names! Need to connect with my people.

Well from what I saw today on various trains and stations, there is very little adherence to mask wearing or social distancing.

In central London today for the first time in a long time. Near total adherence to mask wearing but social distancing, no. Despite lack of tourists everywhere very crowded.

^^For any newcomers “the clique” is one person, me, AKA “Some People on Here”.

Waiting to be told I’m a narcissist again :).

'You're never alone with solipsism'.

I am in the fortunate position of a) having views so bland and wishy-washy that very few people could possibly object to them and b) being old enough and ugly enough not to care if they do. I don't like being misunderstood, and will explain myself to the point of tedium if my meaning hasn't been grasped, but if someone genuinely understands what I'm saying but still disagrees, they're obviously in the wrong.

Well from what I saw today on various trains and stations, there is very little adherence to mask wearing or social distancing.

Well from what I saw on the train to Cambridge on Friday, adherence to mask wearing was very high, as was compliance with social distancing

Observing the behaviour of others is rather judgmental & leads to confirmation bias.

Adherence to mask wearing & social distancing seems really good where I live but this doesn’t really prove anything. Mask wearing is the least effective of the various measures but seems to be the hill to die on on for many.

Observing the behaviour of others is rather judgmental & leads to confirmation bias.

I’m sure you’re right and it’s very dangerous, I’ll give you an example without spelling it out but it will make some sort of nonsense to those who know London.

If I take the Northern Line from South Wimbledon through Tooting and Stockwell and on to Elephant and Castle then mask wearing seems far from 100%. If I take the District Line from Wimbledon through Putney and on to and South Ken, masks seem to be very close to 100%. If I take the overground from Wimbledon to Waterloo through Clapham Junction it seems kind of between the other two.

I do NOT want to draw any conclusions either about race or social class. But I do want to point out how dangerous informal observations are, how easily they can reinforce racist and classist prejudices.

I’m sure you’re right and it’s very dangerous, I’ll give you an example without spelling it out but it will make some sort of nonsense to those who know London.

If I take the Northern Line from South Wimbledon through Tooting and Stockwell and on to Elephant and Castle then mask wearing seems far from 100%. If I take the District Line from Wimbledon through Putney and on to and South Ken, masks seem to be very close to 100%. If I take the overground from Wimbledon to Waterloo through Clapham Junction it seems kind of between the other two.

I do NOT want to draw any conclusions either about race or social class. But I do want to point out how dangerous informal observations are, how easily they can reinforce racist and classist prejudices.

To counterbalance that I was in Dulwich, Herne Hill, Brixton and Peckham last week (if you know south London you'll know what I'm getting at).... all seemed about the same. Many not wearing a mask where they should or not wearing it properly and social distancing fairly poor.

I might just be blocking it out but I get the sense that the fulminating over Covidiots has died back a bit, presumably in the face of widespread public compliance with rules and advice. I wonder if we might come out of this with a slightly better view of ourselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back