Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Coronavirus - the new strain XVII

Discussion in 'off topic' started by gavreid, Mar 10, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deejay

Deejay Well-Known Member

I’m not the only one guilty of this. We all read and post things that reflect our own views. Confirmation bias. Another forum member does it with Guardian links so no different.

I’m all for debate but a lot of this just ends up with me being ridiculed (lost count how many times now) for having a different opinion. Don’t know why I bother!

2. matt j

matt j pfm Member

It is a bit odd signing up to a forum just to post on one thread.

3. Deejay

Deejay Well-Known Member

But I don’t... I’ve contributed to plenty of other threads on here.

Not going over all this (again)... how about stop with the constant ridicule and let people post their views and leave it?

It’s pathetic.

4. Andrew C!

Andrew C! Been around a while....

And those links get challenged as well, when appropriate. The Guardian isn’t the font of all knowledge.

Deejay likes this.
  5. Deejay

Deejay Well-Known Member

I’m definitely challenged more than most. I don’t remember any other forum member getting the stick I’ve had. Attack the post and the poster seems to be forgotten at times!

6. mandryka

mandryka pfm Member

It's not about agreement, it's not about convincing people to share your opinion. It's about getting clearer about some difficult questions, about refining ideas, exploring the consequences of ideas. The thread is, I think, mostly respectful -- when it isn't the people who are rude can be easily ignored.

If your views are being challenged, it is a mark of respect. If people didn't respect what you're saying they would just ignore it.

Deejay likes this.
  7. tiggers

tiggers pfm Member

To be honest I've had a break so I'm back with renewed enthusiasm :D I know what you mean, but I do worry that those peddling the vaccines as the total solution are doing a lot of damage.

8. lordsummit

lordsummit Moderator

Jeez you’ve sussed me!! How did auto correct get from pint to masters :)

9. Deejay

Deejay Well-Known Member

As are those who are downplaying it and spreading misinformation ;)

10. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK I had amnesia once or twice...

Have you posted anywhere other than 'Off-topic'?

If you haven't, consider how odd it looks that you sign up to a music / photo / hifi forum and don't post anything related to those three topics. Even odder, given your user name suggests involvement in music.

11. matt j

matt j pfm Member

We had all this last time, he then went off and posted a load of random replies all over the shop just to make a point.

12. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Given you don’t appear to have any discernible views about audio or music you may be far better served by the Daily Express or Daily Mail comments pages (I assume they have such things, though as a stereotypical Guardian reader I haven’t checked). I’m sure you’ll find many likeminded people there. HTH.

PS FLAGS! You’ll be needing FLAGS.

13. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Back to the topic... I bumped into a neighbour today, an elderly guy, not sure how old, but certainly towards the end of his 70s and not very fit. He had jab #1 in January but hasn’t had #2 yet, which surprised me as I had my 1st in Feb. I suggested he chased it. With folk like that still not fully vaccinated we still need to go carefully.

14. ff1d1l

ff1d1l pfm Member

Hmmm Deej....you're drifting towards tithood again. Remember what happened last time.

15. tiggers

tiggers pfm Member

Irony is strong in you :)

Deejay likes this.
  16. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

more mutations - more highly infectious mutations, more deadly mutations

err no. They may partially work. I understand our current vaccines are only 30% effective against P1, which is killing young people in Brazil.

17. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

Utterly terrible to see the overwhelmed hospitals in India with folks lying on the floor !! Still allowed mass gathering!

18. Deejay

Deejay Well-Known Member

Mutations are a threat but they’ve been kept under control so far due to the UK’s high level genomic surveillance.

Vaccines are seemingly less effective against P1 but we’ve been told the current ones can be tinkered in months so they work better.

Reasons to be cautious but not panic. We’re still on track or the variant test wouldn’t have been met for the April 12 easing. SA variant (533 cases) by far the most dominant variant after Kent. 35 cases of P1 which is low. See link below. https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...e-numbers/variants-distribution-of-cases-data

19. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

no, we only know about the variations due to the genomic surveillance. The surveillance doesn't stop a mutation spreading. Like the Kent variation which made the virus spread ferociously last year. Genomic sequencing didn't stop it spreading. We got lucky the vax covered people. But a harsh lockdown helped us keep it at bay.

There will be more home grown variations, one might be very deadly, more waves and lockdowns could be coming.

Ponty, PsB and hc25036 like this.
  20. Deejay

Deejay Well-Known Member

Indeed. Genomic surveillance will allow us to track and identify new variants and then put a plan of action in place to stop them from spreading. A combination of surge testing, vaccines and lockdown have all done this.

All of this is reason to be cautious and make sure we get it right with lockdown easing, foreign travel, the vaccination programme and test, track and trace. Everything fairly under control currently with 35 P1 cases being a small number. Roadmap on track.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.